Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Best Trail bike no budget!! 5's, Stumpjumper fsr Evo , Nomad
  • trevsy123
    Free Member

Previously owned a 5 which was a 2010 model was going to upgrade to a brand new one but whilst I was in the bike shop havin a look a carbon Stumpjumper fsr Evo caught my eye, I’ve always liked the simplicity of the five but with technology moving on carbon being lighter I’m torn between the two any advice or other options 150/160 mm trail/xc bike..

jam-bo

if i were buying a new bike right no i’d be looking hard at a bandit.

dan45a
    Free Member

I really like the stump evo.

But I tried a Yeti SB66 and thought it was pretty awesome up and down for a do anything trail bike.

so SB66C with fox 34’s would be my no limit budget bike 🙂

br
    Free Member

Why did you sell the 5, what was so wrong with it that you are now looking at the same (type) of bike, again?

And then take the reasons and see whether the Evo/Nomad etc are better/worse.

Northwind

Evo’s the best trail bike I’ve ridden, if I could only have one bike for some idiotic reason it’d be top of the list for sure… Hugely capable but also instantly familiar and inspiring- similiar to a Five in that way but lighter and with suspension that works 😉

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Latest Nicolai AC..

Loving mine,slacker,slightly longer..Amazing bike

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Assuming it’s anythign like my Pitch, but lighter and with bigger wheels, I’d say stumpy Evo.

I’d not worry about simplicity, the bearings in my pitch seem to be holding up well. And on a limitless budget I’d just get the LBS to service them if needs be.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The best bike depends on what is important to you, and what traits you like.

Someone else mentioned the SB66 which Dirt loved, and pretty much every other review paints a similar picture.

Personally I think there are better bikes than the Nomad & 5 now. The Stumpy Evo being one of them. Sadly it’s let down by all the SRAM kit on it & isn’t available frame only here.

njee20
    Free Member

Mojo SL-R, XX1 group, carbon wheels, nice finishing kit. Done.

Never ridden one, but it’s what I’d have!

vinnyeh

Interested in this topic a bit as well.
    Had my Mojo HD for 2 1/2 years now, run it in both 140 air and 160 coil guises, wondering whether there’s anything since that’s significantly better as an all rounder.

deanfbm
    Free Member

150/160mm xc/trail bikes? You looking at the right sort of bikes?

Where you riding? what’s your style?

Plus there is no simply “best”, just ones that are better optimised for YOUR particular riding with compromises you deem acceptable.

You dont get owt for nowt.

Plus what’s up with your current bike? When was the lat time it had a complete rebuild and suspension services with maybe tuning and correct setup for yourself?

wrecker
    Free Member

The best bike depends on what is important to you, and what traits you like.

This is spot on. Different people like different bikes. Most here will recommend whatever they own at that time.
    Go out and ride as many as you can, there are plenty of people on here (me included) who would join you for a ride and let you have a good go on their bikes. It needn’t be expensive to demo bikes.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Spicy 916.

jonundercover
    Free Member

I love my stumpy Evo, it rides light but is great on the downhill stuff. Glad I didn’t fall into the trap of an over built heavier bike. I have the 2011 Expert Evo and cant see me changing it for some time.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

If it was me I’d be tempted by a Pivot 5.7 Carbon..

BigSteve
    Free Member

I really like the stump evo.

But I tried a Yeti SB66 and thought it was pretty awesome up and down for a do anything trail bike.

so SB66C with fox 34’s would be my no limit budget bike

Snap – exactly what I have done. Stunning bike which suits me down to the ground. Long top tube, wide bars, short stem. 2×10, XT throughout, dropper post. Rides well on the trail, good uphill, stunning down. The only thing I’ve not done is go for carbon wheels. I’ve got Havens which seem pretty tight and robust.

I use Strava and I’m quicker everywhere on the Yeti (up and down) – so I’m happy. The only place I suffer is road sections where I run out of gears. But I can live with that.

I do admit its my midlife crisis bike and I won’t get the full use of it – but I don’t care 😀

shifter
    Free Member

I’m very surprised no-one’s said 140mm 29er!

jimw
    Free Member

OK, I will then.

Santa Cruz Tallboy LtC , Fox 34’s, Crossmax wheels, reverb etc. etc. being a luddite when it comes to transmission and considering the steep hills/advanced age quotient It would also have 3×10 on it.

Trouble is, the above is approximately twice what I could even hope to afford in the real world, but in my dreams….

takisawa2

A Five, but only because I’ve never owned one.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

Spesh and Trek seem to be the go-to bikes at the moment. I went for a Whyte, which seem to have a very chalk/cheese ride, I love it myself aside from the SRAM drivetrain and Fox Forx and Avid brakes, but if you can afford to choose the good kit then the frame is epic, superlight, although you do tend to take off where you want to stick to the deck! But yeah, the specialized seems good from what I’ve seen, a little heavy for an xc jobby but good for a trail bike. Quite cheap too, can get them for about 3000-3500.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Got rid of my 2009 5, couldn’t get on with it at all, after nearly 3 years of tweaking and trying!

Got a Stumpy FSR Evo. Absolutely love it, from the first ride. Bought the ally frame from Bike Scene, and used existing parts and some new ones.

the_lecht_rocks

120mm Nicolai Helius AC 29r. Mine’s sublime……..

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The trek slash would be my dream bike.

twohats
    Free Member

Nomad c, although aging a bit and having unfashionable geometry, it really is a cracking bike to ride.

vinnyeh

T_l_r, did you buy it blind, or did you demo one?

ashfanman
    Free Member

As said above, it really depends on what sort of trails you ride and what you’re looking for. But if I could have any one bike, money no object, it’d be either a Tallboy LTc or one of the new S-Works Enduros.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I built mine 🙂

Minus the dogsh*t Hans Dampf’s now though…

the_lecht_rocks

Vinney , extended demooverva weekend from gravity sports….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cost no option?

I’d lock Paul Turner, Horst Leitner, Spencer Owyang, Scott Nicol, Adrian Carter, Steve Wade, Dave Wiegel, Mert Lawill, Peter Denk and a few pros like Jonnny T, Lopes, Nico, Anne-Caro and Barel in a hangar and not let them out until it was perfect.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Minus the dogsh*t Hans Dampf’s now though

I thought they got pretty good reviews? What didn’t you like about them?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Just didn’t get on with them at all.

For a similar weight & size a Minion/Ardent EXO setup rolls almost as quick yet has a noticeable amount more grip in all situations. They also seem to clear the mud/soft dirt a lot better in the damp conditions I seem to mostly ride in.

Interestingly everyone who has had a go on my bike commented about the lack of grip over a big Maxxis/Conti of similar size too, as I wondered if I was going a bit mad, based on the reviews the HD’s have had.

To be fair all you have to do is put it next to a Minion & you can see why there is a big difference.

carloshopwood
    Free Member
    davosaurusrex

£378, not a penny more

GaryLake
    Free Member

Tallboy LTc, Fox 34s, ENVE and XXI

utangvegas
    wrecker
    Free Member

Whatever it is, it MUST have ENVE AM rims and DH bars. For me, this would be on a LTc frame with slightly adjusted geometry, forks which haven’t been invented yet and those eye wateringly expensive new formula brakes.

sherry
    Free Member

The new Stumpy enduro carbon. Transition covert carbon. Some of the 29er long travel incarnations that are coming about. Defo bikes with slacker angles.

Maybe a Foes, always liked there bikes.

oldnick

Pivot mach 5.7 carbon works for me, feels rock solid, suspension that actually works, lovely up and downhill, 26lbs with xt and sensibly light build kit.

However some people think they are a bag o’ shite, so as ever a test over relevant terrain yadda yadda yadda.

That said I rode a well worn test bike for 30 minutes, played with the shock pressure a bit, went back and put my money on a frame 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Blur ltc? Rocky mtn altitude both seemed to go well this weekend.

stewartc
    Free Member

Is this where we post pictures of our SB66’s again?
    Standard XT (2×10) build with 34 160mm Float upfront, great bike that can covers lot of different riding which is useful as I only have space for one bike. Exceptional bike and fast, able to go up like a billy goat but you have to give it some English on the way down to take advantage of the suspension.

Sorry, typical STW response, the best bike is the one you are riding!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Best Trail bike no budget!! 5's, Stumpjumper fsr Evo , Nomad’ is closed to new replies.