Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Best track/floor pump which lasts?
  • BigEls
    Free Member

I have been looking around for a new track pump.

The Joe blow 2 and Park tool ones look good at around £35 and do both valves.

Is there any difference between them and some for £10/15 on eBay for example?

Should I be looking for steel barrel etc.

I want it to last.

Please can you guys recommend any you have used.

Thanks guys – Elliot

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The best would be a SKS renkompressor (but don’t ask the price, you could buy a compresor for thtmoney!).

I’ve got the Joe Blow Sport, took a while to bed in (the guage didn’t read properly as there was a valve in it sticking somewhere for the first few months), but since then it’s been fine for 3 years now, inflates tubeless tyres fine.

jimc101
    Free Member

To last, it won’t be too cheap, have been using an SKS Rennkompressor with an EVA head for the last 4 years, it’s been perfect, have heard good things about Lezyne track pumps, but have not used them.

Then there is the old standard Silca, which if you can get the spares should last forever.

Blackburn are worth a look as well, with their lifetime warranty for the cheaper end of the market

For cheap pumps, how long do you want it to last, and how much use is it going to get, if using once a month, then get cheap, if using everyday, buy decent.

younggeoff

Yep I’m still using a Silca track pump that I got in 95, if I was buying now I like the look of the Lezyne ones.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

When I worked in a bike shop, they used to use these as ‘lend to customer’ pumps, cos they were relatively cheap and proper robust. Lasted longer with daily abuse than the Topeaks, Specialized and other ones we tried.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/beto-alloy-floor-item64271.html

Ooh Ebay only £19 inc postage!

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/270775043874?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

cp

My Joe blow was rubbish……… Broke repeatedly (internal one way valve). My cheap park one sprang a leak. Before those I had a spesh which lasted over 10 years. Now on the most expensive decathlon one… It’s lasting well so far!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had a beto that fell apart. (your experience may vary)

After the woefully crap lezyne hand pump I bought I’m not touching anythig of theirs, it was shockingly crap!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My SKS has been fine although the gauge now stops working 🙁

there is a joe blow max downstair in the changing room that seems good at filling the tyre quickly – might be good for tubeless?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve a SKS renkompressor, it must be getting on for twenty years old now.

The nut holding the handle together occasionally works a bit loose, I could cure that with a bit of thread lock or a washer but have never got around to it, just tighten it up every couple of months. The rubber in the valve connector got brittle over the years and was replaced about 4 years ago. It wasn’t really necessary but I replaced the entire hose and connector because I liked the look of the dual valve topeak connector. Other than that it’s been faultless.

It was a bit expensive but I don’t imagine I’ll ever have to buy another track pump which I think makes it pretty cheap in the long run.

Macavity
    Free Member
    mudshark
    Free Member

My Joe Blow broke after a few years – the valve I think.

seosamh77
    Free Member

My joe blow is about 4 years old now, noticed last time, it’s only really kicking in half way on the downstroke these days. I’d guess some seal or something is getting tired, I’ll need to open it up and have a look at it, been great up until now though.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

As crazy as it sounds, I picked up one for about a tenner from Argos a few years ago as a go-between. Been in regular use since then and apart from the rubbish pressure indicator, its spot on.

Northwind

My Joe Blow shows every sign of lasting forever, but on the downside isn’t actually very good. So I’ve replaced it with an Air Tower 2 that feels like it might explode at any moment but til then, is a bloomin awesome pump- each stroke moves more than twice as much air as the Joe Blow.

mrmo
    Free Member

SKS renkompressor

mine is c10 years old

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I’ve had a few track pumps.

Old man has a Silca that must be 30 years old now. Still works.

Cheapo Lidl number. Both handles snapped off when pumping and the shaft shot up hitting me on the forehead. Owch!

7 yr old Joe Blow, yellow one. Still works, gave it to my mother.

Wrenchforce thing. Long barrel was good as i’m tall so it seemed more efficient. Was good for tubeless. The valve connectors rubber bit which seals on the valve wore quickly and you can’t replace it. Was going to just get a new head and then a handle snapped off. Didn’t try to remove my eye this time.

SKS Rennkompressor. Solid construction. Good head which is good as new after about 3 years. Gauge has small print and goes up to 300psi so doesn’t tell me much at MTB pressures. Not stable stood up unless you have a foot on it. Could be used for owning purposes. £50 didn’t seem poor value. Fairly short and narrow barrel, i haven’t had much luck with tubeless on this one.

New Joe Blow, cheapest model. Got this to keep in the van. Seems great for £20 but it will be interesting to see how long it lasts rattling around in the back.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

i had a SKS rencompressor and it was pants

using the cheaper (yellow) Joe Blow which are great

gee
    Free Member

Just got one of the shiny Lezyne ones after my old Wrench Force red one gave up after 11 years. I had a Park one which was rubbish. Lasted a year then the head broke.

rockhopperbike

got a silca with a steel barrel about 20 years ago, had a new rubber hose in the last 10 years, and a new leather washer this year, gotta be the most durable item to come out of Italy!

Woody
    Free Member

My Lidl one has lasted 2 years, which is at least a year longer than any of the ‘proper’ ones I’ve had before.

jamiec360
    Free Member

On my second joe blow (yellow one) reversed over the first one. Particularly like the twin head valves dead easy to lock on.

Had one of those price too good moments at the evans clearance sale on saturday and got one of the big barreled lezyne ones, alloy foot with base mounted gauge, really wide barrel, nice wooden handle, long hose and reversible 2 part chuck. No idea of original price but they had reduced it to £40 and then I got 60% off that 🙂

RustySpanner

Bontrager Charger has been the best – reliable, head great for either valve type, gauge over reads but at least it’s consistent.

Blackburn – first one never worked from new.
    Replacement works well but sounds like it’s falling apart – been used about a dozen times. Head is awkward when switching valve types and doesn’t seal well. Not as stable as the Bontrager.

Lidl – bought two, neither worked.

Aldi – worked fine till the handles snapped after about a year.

I wish I’d just bought an SKS in the first place. 😐

TiRed

Yellow Joe Blow replaced my Silca after 10 years – Silca didn’t fail, I left it at Reading Track and never saw it again. The double head on the Joe Blow works flawlessly, the build quality of the Silca was first rate – but it needs a better head.

turboferret

My Blackburn something or other has been in use for about 12 years I think now. I’ve replaced the internal rubber seals for about a fiver, but apart from that it’s been great.

Cheers, Rich

D0NK

SKS renkompressor had it a couple of years hoping it will last for a good while yet. Only downside is the gauge goes up to 240psi (!), tricky to get mtb pressures accuratley, upto 150 may have been a better idea.

mike_p
    Free Member

I’ve only ever had Specialized floor pumps… first one still going strong after 12 years, not entirely sure why I felt the need for a new one but it’s just as good!

chiefgrooveguru

I have a ten year old WrenchForce one which cost £20. Still works fine and the gauge is accurate too.

lunge

Got the expensive (£20 ish I think) Decathlon one with a metal barrel and guage whoch is about 5 years old and possible the most useful bit of kit I have ever bought.

hammerite
    Free Member

My Blackburn one has worked for about 18 months, now works intermittently. Never felt solid though.

Replaced with a Joe Blow, seems to work really well, sturdy and nice positive pump.

My Tesco one, not sturdy, takes a lot of pumping to inflate anything, but has lasted for years. Only cost £6 so was a bit of a bargain.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Best track/floor pump which lasts?’ is closed to new replies.