Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Best Touring Tyre – around 32c
  • Rik
    Free Member

Currently got Continental Gatorskins 23c on my road bike but looking for a big nice and comfy tyres.Would like to try a 32c if it not much slower.

Thinking either 28c Gatorskins, as its the biggest they go and its a tyre I know. Unbeliveably tough, light and puncture resistant tyre. But they have there downsides they are not that grippy.

Btw – I have masses of clearances for any touring tyre

What do the STW readers use for road touring?

druidh
    Free Member

I use 700×28 Conti GP 4 Seasons for touring and commuting. I’ve covered a few thousand miles with them and had just two punctures.

TheSanityAssassin

Schwalbe Marathon Plus seem popular, judging by the amount we sell.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

shwalbe marathon are by far the best touring tyre…….but
    they are draggy.
    i am using some vittoria randonnuerat the moment and they are very good and a fair bit quicker.

ampthill

panaracer pasela

37c for me. Fast and so comfy….

There is some advice on here (although based on 26″)

http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornSherpaBroHiRes.pdf

warning its a big file. Page 6 gives tyre advice

druidh
    Free Member

We sell loads of Marathon/Marathon Pluses too, but mainly to commuters. I reckon they are too draggy for distance use.

Rik
    Free Member

Ideally I would like them to be over 30c as they are going on a tourer built with 29er mtb wheels and road discs But don’t want them to be to draggy either.
    I find gatorskins not much of a comprise over race tyres on the road bike so they appeal (or 4 seasons) but only go to 28c so because I have the clearance don’t mind 30c + for comfort as long as they don’t hold me back.

ton

the vittoria are very good….. from decathlon.

MrTall
    Free Member

I’ve been out today for a nice ride on my Fargo, i swapped out the 2.55″ Weirwolfs to some Spesh Borough CX 700x42c. Think it’s a great trye, fast rolling and seems pretty tough. I think it comes in smaller sizes as well.

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

I swapped my gatorskins for Schwalbe Marathon Supremes in 32c guise… very fast and amazing puncture resistance, also last really well – took them off at 8000 miles (not a single puncture) and only because I got new wheels and treated myself to tyres. They are much lighter than marathon plus tyres and grip better than contis. The only downside is that they are a tight fit – you will need good thumbs! they are also dear – rrp about £35 but as they never puncture and last about 3 times longer than a normal road tyre – its worth it.

I am now trying out some panaracer ribmos that seem almost as good, the only reason I swapped was that I wanted to run a 25c front and 28c rear combo to make it a bit faster… I have to say I don’t notice much speed gain over the supremes.

banjowhacker
    Free Member

I have overwhelmingly been recommended Panaracer Paselas by touring types on the CTC Forum; they should know. I myself have most consistently been using Schwalbe Marathons and i don’t find them particularly draggy for touring.

tthew

Continental Sport Contact’s here. I think they’re fast, but I suppose that’s relative to the tyres you came from, (cyclo cross) pretty slick though. And a one year puncture proof guarantee if you get them from Wiggle. I’ve not used that yet, (not that I would bother, but it demonstrates some confidence)

Rik
    Free Member

Shopping on the web last night and still can’t decide.

Other than weight are the marathon supremes that much better than the standard marathons? I do like comment above about how fast the feel thought. A non-draggy tyre is a must.

There seems to be about 20 different versions of both the marathons and the vittoria randonnuer. Most of the vittorias seem very heavy too – although they do posh one that looks similar to the supreme.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve got Marathon Plus on my commuter never had a puncture. Roll slower than older sicks but better on slippy roads with wet leaves, thats all I can say.

SSBonty
    Free Member

Conti GP 4 seasons 25s for me, but that’s mostly cos I only have an old peugot racer as a touring bike, would go a little wider if they would fit. Need replacing now but have done many 1000s of kms on them, including 1200km without a puncture around Russia where the roads were, um, interesting! (Lots of gravel roads, tarmac with huge holes or places where the road was more hole than tarmac, and then some nice long sections of cobblestone…). Will probably go for the same until I get a new frame with more clearance.

SimonT
    Free Member

I like Schwalbe Marathon, the basic version. Not so much draggy as heavy, they seem to roll well and are puncture resistant. Grip is good too.
    You might get away with a size narrower to offset the weight?
    The reinforced ones – expedition, cross etc feel very draggy but are very strong.

I’ve tried Paselas in 28mm and they felt like riding on wet tar. Draggy – and puncture prone. Some people love them.

Contis I generally find have poor grip in the wet and fragile sidewalls. Have tried several. Again, some people like them.

Michelin speediums are good & cheap but 25mm max (big for 25) – grippy and comfy but not very puncture resistant.

Have not tried Vittoria. Think I’ll have a look next time.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Had an awful time with paselas. Had a gatorskin delaminate but trying another – feels light and fast.

Have some michelin folders 28mm which I like a lot.

boblo
    Free Member

On my tandems and tourers, I use Panaracer Paselas for good roads and Schwalbe Marathons (XR’s last set) on crap ones.

The Paselas are light, roll well and are reasonably puncture proof untill well worn. The Marathons are VERY heavy, very puncture proof and are supposed to last 12k km…I haven’t worn the XR’s out yet.

I usually get 2.5k – 3k miles out of a rear Pasela on the tandems, bit more on the singles. They used to come up small so a 32c was more like 28c but they’ve corrected this with their latest offerings…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Best Touring Tyre – around 32c’ is closed to new replies.