• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DWT.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • best stanes trail on saturday – heavy rain!!
  • Matt_SS_xc

heading up to scotland tomorrow for a week riding. Plan to do all the stanes however saturday is currently saying heavy rain and high winds.

Just wondered if there is a suitable sheltered trail / one that copes with rain or even one to definately avoid that day.

I might just delay the trip or stop off at whinlatter or similar for a cheeky ride saturday and start scotland on sunday.

any advice would be great, thanks

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They all handle rain well, that’s the idea. Kirro and Dalbeattie are probably the most sheltered off the western stanes. Glentress red is more sheltered than Innerleithen.

Kirro, would be my shout.

rudedog
    Free Member

Saturday looks fine for Glentress – no rain according to met office.

Matt_SS_xc

thanks, probably head to there initially then, unless people says something completely different to confuse me!

Northwind

BBC’s reporting heavy rain for GT. But Nobeer is spot on, Kirroughtree and GT are pretty well sheltered, about as good as it gets for bad weather rides. GT’s surface tends to hold a fair amount of water though just because of the shape of the wear.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We rode at Kirroughtree the weekend when bridges were being washed away in the Lakes. It was a bit of a grin and bare it ride but still very rideable. But the west does catch more of the wet stuff so I’d also say GT. Probably easier to bale out at Glentress than at Kirroughtree.

iainc

weather likley to be better in East so I’d say GT. In fact I may go there on Sunday 🙂

chrisdb
    Free Member

Big Trek demo at Glentress this weekend so you can get a free shot on the shiny new 2012 bikes if you head over there.

GT is pretty good in the rain as most of the climbs are in the woods.

richmtb

Not a Stane but Drumlanrig. Pretty much 100% in the trees. Bit muddier than GT but definitely more sheltered

iainc

rich – slippier than a slippery thing though !!!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I was surprised how “dry” Kirro seemed today even after 3 days of heavy rain.

Most of the trails stand up pretty well, its what they are made for, Newcastelton will probably be the driest.

doubledunter
    Free Member

We went Drumlanrig last week, rode black and red, despite being wet the trails were in quite good riding conditions , not too slippy 🙂

richmtb

Iain, not too bad on sunday at least, obviously a lot slower going than GT. Its was good fun once i got used to catching slides!

iainc

Its was good fun once i got used to catching slides!

hah, sounds like you are well prepped to come out with us at Mugdock for some some natural slippy rootfest 🙂

DWT
    Free Member

Yes Kirro was fine in heavy rain when I rode there last year too so wouldnt count it out!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘best stanes trail on saturday – heavy rain!!’ is closed to new replies.