Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • Best sporting event you've seen?
  • RustySpanner

Live, the 1992 Senior TT, with Steve Hislop taking a brilliant win over Carl Fogarty.
    Lap records broken, first win for Norton in 19 years and a margin of only 4 and a half seconds between them at the end.
    Sat at the Gooseneck for the race, blazing sunshine and the atmosphere was just incredible.
    Something I’ll never forget.

Very close second are the two Man U v Oldham FA Cup semi’s in 1990.
    Lucky enough to get tickets for both matches – wonderful games, brilliant atmosphere, amazing support from both sets of fans.

What are yours? Doesn’t have to be one you saw live, but being there certainly adds something for me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Newcastle utd 3 Barcelona 2 Tino Asprilla hat trick

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Live, close call between Munster’s first Heineken Cup win or Liverpool v Arsenal FA Cup Final; both at the Millennium Stadium.

Not Live? Too many…possibly Ireland winning the Grand Slam at the Millennium or The Miracle of Istanbul.

Houns

2003 RWC Final

End of thread

Junkyard
    Free Member

2 goals in Fergie time to win the European

Actually there – cricket but that was mainly due to being really pissed 😉

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Houns wins.

Bath’s first John Player (Pilkington) Cup in 1984 (A 10-9 win. Bristol’s Stu Barnes missed a pen in injury time) the first of many, many Bath wins in that era.

Or TdF Prologue in 2007. Or maybe the Olympic Road Race this year.

winston_dog
    Free Member

+1

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Sept 2001 White Hart Lane … Spurs 3 Man U 5

Spurs 3-0 up at half time and I started my first and subsequently only chant at the Lane “Sulli what’s the score? Sulli, Sulli what’s the score?”

Obviously we went on to lose and all the goals were scored down the opposite end of the ground… but for 45 odd mins we were gods and it really was the best game of live football I’ve ever seen

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😆 That Newcastle Barcelona game was awesome.

The two 4-3 between Liverpool and Newcastle were awesome too, though more so from a red-tinted view (i.e. not trying to wind the Geordeis up).

Jerome
    Free Member

Aussie rules. Carlton vs Essenden 98 to 99
    Sometime around 1998
    MCG -Melbourne

richmtb

Live as in in the flesh, at the venue?

Dunno one for the FW world cups probably or my first 10UTB that was really live!

Live but not at the venue 2008 Brazilian GP, Massa had it won and then Hamilton one at the final corner I was literally on my feet.

edlong
    Free Member

t’Olympics, this year. Didn’t see any particularly dramatic events / finishes, but the overall atmosphere and sense of occasion really did make it a “once in a lifetime” experience.

mattmbk
    Free Member

Marshaslok versus Marsaskala in the Maltese water polo cup final in 1976. An unbelievable occasion, huge brawl between the players after 5 minutes, all the trophys and medals went in the water, local dignitaries ran for their lives and the referee was rescued by a Police launch. It’s still the most amazing sporting moment I’ve ever witnessed.

mattmbk
    Free Member

Double post sorry.

mattmbk
    Free Member

Sorry button got stuck!

mefty
    Free Member

Certainly being at the RWC 2003 final is number one, but honourable mention to the 1st Day of the 2005 Ashes, a roller-coaster of a day which set up a roller-coaster of a series.

mangoridebike

scotland vs england @ Murrayfield in 2000

Everyone in the ground expected Scotland to get a pasting, especially the England team & fans, the weather favoured a less glamourous game than the English standard at the time and Scotland acheived a famous victory.

The victory was made even sweeter by the fact my English uncle had been giving me and my mates a load of stick before the match, he was rather quiet afterwards 🙂

Houns

(Just to point out I wasn’t there!)

thekingisdead
    Free Member

2012 Malaysian Grand Prix.
    I havent been to many sporting events though 🙂

davidjones15
    Free Member

This.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfg9lYXQO3k[/video]

binners

Junkyard +1

I remember that night getting very, very messy indeed. In fact, it finished some time the next afternoon

warton
    Free Member

That was incredible. Walking into the Newcastle arms afterwards, the whole place was singing and chanting ‘Tino Tino Tino’ until we all got kicked out at closing time…

The Tour of Flanders 2011, on the muur was just incredible. Drunk, right under the chapel, the helicopters begin to circle overhead, and the roar works it’s way up the hill, my spine is tingling just thinking about it.

hp_source

1999 Monaco GP.

Watched from the cheap seats on the hillside – awesome atmosphere, and noise, amazingly open track and pit area before/after the race and other sessions. Stunning amount of cash on show in terms or cars, people, yachts etc.

Great long weekends with a bunch of mates, too much beer and sun…. ace.

Pigface
    Free Member

ISDE Wales 1983

mefty
    Free Member

(Just to point out I wasn’t there!)

But I was

rocketman
    Free Member

George Best vs Northampton FA Cup 5th Round 1970
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S41vZLj5LNc[/video]

Also a round of the Lombard RAC rally near Bridgenorth during the mid-80s when there was no such thing as crowd safety

randomjeremy
    Free Member

This year’s Ryder Cup was pretty awesome, even if the wrong team won!

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Interesting one Pigface, full of atmosphere and educational to see how the East German and Chech teams were well disciplined – all riding over the same line to within a sixpence width on the special test.

Arthur Browning was a sight to behold on the big Yam too.

It was that event that decided me to take up enduros before I got too old.

Apart from that it woud have to be a TT or SSDT but there are too many memories to allow choice of a specific one.

surfer
    Free Member

Saw Haille break the indoor 5000m world record 10 minutes after saying hello and posing for photos.
    My brother was in Istanbul in 2005 for Liverpool’s fantastic European cup win!

On the flip side went to the British GP this year and it was shit.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Scottish League Cup Final 2008 – game was ok, but it’s the only time I’ve sat through a live penalty shoot out.

keithd
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner:
    Good shout for 1992 Senior. I was at Hilberry cheering Foggy. When he came past on the last lap his bike looked and sounded like he had found it in a skip! Awesome race.
    Wigan v St Helens June 2010. Always war between these two but this was an epic. 80 mins of sheer guts and violence, blood and broken bones then all smiles at the end. And a wonderful victory for Saints.

shadowrider
    Free Member

Seeing Richard Burns win his World Championship in Wales 2001, only bettered by seeing Birmingham City beat Arsenal in 2011 Carling Cup Final.

druidh
    Free Member

1987 British Grand Prix. We were standing at the Stowe end of the Hangar Straight 🙂

Just google Silverstone Two-step if it was before your time.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Olympics, last night of the athletics – Farrah winning the 5000, Jamacians breaking 4×100 WR – best because I watched it with my daughter

Honourable mentions for sporting drama (in order)

New Zealand v France 1999 RWC SF (from a purely sporting perspective the greatest)
    England v Australia – 2007 RWC QF
    France v Brazil – 1998 football world cup final

Pickers

1995 RAC Rally
    Colin McRae vs the world. The world lost. Saw 6 stages during the week and then Chester Racecourse, just fantastic.

mefty
    Free Member

New Zealand v France 1999 RWC SF
    [*]France v Brazil – 1998 football world cup final[/*]

I went to both of those as well but the emotional involvement when your team in playing puts a big occasion onto another level.

Bimbler
    Free Member

3rd May 1998, Arsenal vs Everton, first part of the double and the start of a lost weekend

specifically

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rszBQM02Tj0[/video]

Bimbler
    Free Member

So good I posted it twice 8)

yossarian
    Free Member

Its a knockout

druidh
    Free Member

The Royal one? 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Best sporting event you've seen?’ is closed to new replies.