Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • Best small dog
  • deano8
    Free Member

Our Cavapoo 🙂 is quality with our children,
    has a super temperament and doesn’t leave fur everywhere..
    Perfect except the breeds name

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Colgi!

Good luck finding one, we think ours is an accident. He was a rescue dog. He’s fab.

DSC_05810021 by judeyt78, on Flickr

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Disposable ? Not sure what you mean but he’s a pet dog not one of my kids. 100 years ago again not sure what that means particularly as the breed was only established about that time. He’s a dog that has had generations of specific breeding to capable of running all day with a pack of hounds & horses, hence the term ‘incredible endurance’ Also pretty sure it’s been substantially less than 100 years since fox hunting was banned & ohe came from a working family that was used to run alongside quad bikes round acres of fields.
    He runs he hunts & damn he even swims across lakes anything different would be wrong in my eyes.

He does smell though

@2unfittoride I built him up over time to get to this point starting him when he was v.young with just 10mins etc. I met a fell runner who had taken his over marathon distance & he said 10 – 20mins for ever month of age.

Cougar

Wordsworth is a great name for a dog it’s from Jamie and the magic torch IIRC, proper nostalga.

Knowing his owners, it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if that’s exactly why my mate came up with the name, and his wife is blissfully unaware and thinks he’s named after the poet.

iolo
    Free Member

Carbonfiend, When did you last come accross a working hunting dog over 5 years old that runs along quads all day long.
    Of course doggie loves to chase daddy but will not stop. It twists its leg it will keep running. Spinal issues will ensue. The vet bill will be too much as you need a new crankset so you tell your son his little dog ran away during a bike ride (euthanasia) and your son will be staring out of his bedroom window waiting for the loveable super terrier to return.
    I hope you will feel proud.

Drac

Border Terrier of course great with kids and will run all day without you having to shoot them for being a hundred years old.

Another Jake.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’ve done 10 miles runs with my dog the vet said of course it’s ok he’s a healthy strong dog.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Drac, your dogs gorgeous!

TheWrongTrousers

French Bulldog

You serious?

Yeah ! check ’em out, they’re brilliant !

surfer
    Free Member

Border Terrier of course great with kids and will run all day without you having to shoot them for being a hundred years old.

I think what many people are missing here is the variability between individuals. I have met a number of shy, nervous, aggressive and lazy Border Terriers as well as a few happy, athletic and outgoing ones. You dont really know what you are going to get and individuals personalities vary even between the same litter.
    Its misleading to recommend a breed because you have one that behaves in a certain way and you (quite rightly) adore your pet.
    To say Border Terriers are ……. is not reliable.

loddrik
    Free Member

Lakeland terrier. Just don’t get a working one.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

+1 for the Border Terrier, ours is a fantastic family pooch. Getting on to 10 years old now and still going like a rocket. However they do have issues. They will chase anything, so care is needed off the lead. Ours has brought down a sheep by its throat 😯 . Luckily it was just wool it had hold of, and sheep being stupid, just gave up, and the farmer wasn’t there either….
    They also suffer from a genetic issue called spikes syndrome which can be passed down from generation to generation. It is similar to epilepsy and can cause seizures, so ensure there is no history within the family. Linky-
    http://www.borderterrier-cecs.com/

iolo
    Free Member

Sorry I’m an animal lover but dog who brings a sheep down by it’s throat should be shot.
    The owner should be prosecuted.

surfer
    Free Member

Sorry I’m an animal lover but dog who brings a sheep down by it’s throat should be shot.
    The owner should be prosecuted.

I thought you were going to over react there for a moment 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

Dogs attacking sheep should not be tolerated.
    Ever.
    Be it rottweiler, pitbull, chihuahua, border terrier. Had the farmer seen the attack the dog would be dead now. No doubt.
    I agree. The distress caused to the livestock by out of control dogs is phenomenal. The number of sheep who miscarriage as the dog was just “playing”. The number of sheep “accidentally” killed by a strangers dog.

the-muffin-man

To say Border Terriers are ……. is not reliable.

I’d agree with this.

We have one, and although he is a great dog at home. He’s a bit of a pain on walks.

• He’ll go for other dogs at random – there’s no logic to it – some he’ll sniff and play with, others he’ll want to kill.
    • He stops dead ever 10 yards for a sniff and pee – after a few miles this gets very tiresome! We often have to drag him away from a scent.
    • He gets hot very quickly in summer and just flops down and won’t move. I had to carry him 1/2 a mile home last summer! He’s stripped often so isn’t one of the bog-brush types you see. And we walk him early morning or late at night.

They are great characters, but to say they are perfect is a little wide of the mark.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Patterdale terrier without a doubt, ours is an amazing little character with astounding capabilities (great trail dog too), and even though she’s fully grown (2yrs) she still looks like a pup, she’s fantastic with children and other pets (none working stock) and if you are an outdoor type of family then one would suit you to the ground, our Minnie had 5 puppies almost 6 weeks ago now and all bar one are sold and to close friends on the strength of how impressed they are with Minnie (speaks for its self really) do some research (we did a years worth) before you buy any type of dog and see their ‘possible’ pro’s and cons inherent health problems and bred characteristics, we got it down to patterdales and borders and we both loved the patterdale looks and smooth coat more (easy to sit and stroke) HTH in some way.
    Email me if you want some pics of her in action or the puppies (everyone loves puppy pics) Lmao

TiRed

Cocker Spaniel. Fine temperament, good with kids, will walk forever and can be run with a bike if you hold back.

iolo
    Free Member

Most Mongrels make lovely dogs.
    OP,if you do get a dog please try and get a rescue one. Mongrel or Pedigree.
    Pedigree dogs are made to give someone profit by selling them.
    Unwanted dogs (and there are thousands) will give you so much love affection too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just go to your local park and see what medium/small dog you fancy the look of. “What dog” threads on STW are full of confirmation bias (apart from, to be fair, a few posts on this one) – you might as well ask “why do you love your dog?” Yes, certain breeds will display certain characteristics more strongly than others but it’s how you raise it for the first four or five months which will decide what temperament of dog you have.

Basil

I will trade mine for one that is able to close doors not just open them

rone

I think it’s reasonable to suggest a breed may have certain characteristics. But personality does, like humans, change over time and become a bit unpredictable.

We have a great Border, and good regular walking and training is the key to a happy dog. She is very suitable given our environment, small flat situated in big grounds.

They can be a bit stubborn, and are *generally* quite sociable.

Pigface
    Free Member

Good to see the love for Staffys, both mine were rescues and both were brilliant dogs even though they were very different in personalities.

Go save a Staffy

rogerthecat
    Free Member

iolo – Member
    Sorry I’m an animal lover but dog who brings a sheep down by it’s throat should be shot.The owner should be prosecuted.

Much better to shove them in a truck, stun them and slit their throats?

DezB
    Free Member

This could be useful OP:
    http://www.petguide.com/dog-breeds/

You could browse it without iolo jumping up and yapping in your face like a demented Jack Russell every few posts 😉

iolo
    Free Member

Livestock are there to make babies and meat.
    Dog are there to heard sheep and be human companions (ok eaten in the East but not here)
    The amount of people (mainly cityfolk I may add)who allow their dogs to run riot near farm animals is phenomenal here in Snowdonia. Every footpath gate has a keep dog on lead sign but they must be dyslexic.
    What’s your point rogerthecat on a what dog thread?

iolo
    Free Member

Dez, I’ll bite your ankles you naughty boy

DezB
    Free Member

😀

My dog chased a sheep once. I didn’t kill her or turn myself into the law, but I didn’t “tolerate” it. She’s never done it again.

iolo
    Free Member

Good. You had control to stop her.
    She didn’t have a sheep by its neck on the floor.
    You did what was needed to stop the same thing happening again.
    But why was she allowed to roam free on agricultural land?

Drac

They are great characters, but to say they are perfect is a little wide of the mark.

Phew! It’s a good job no one did.

DezB
    Free Member

But why was she allowed to roam free on agricultural land?

GSPs need a lot of exercise and sheep are good runners.

iolo
    Free Member

Hihi.
    GSP’s make great target practice.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Any excuse to post a pic of a BT 😀
    Daisy is now 4 months and it generally really nervous around sheep as was our last BT, Meg.

Drac

Yay pics of Daisy.

And almost forgot.

Drac, your dogs gorgeous!

Cheers. He was a re-home so keeps the get one from a shelter bods happy, his owner was terminally ill and wanted to him to go to the right home. I’ve had border’s for over 30 years so his owner was happy for us to to take him.

He a real character a proper border, can be friends with any dog and anyone but every now and then decides he doesn’t want to be friends with a dog that shows him aggression. Sadly can’t trust him with sheep he’s chased them in the past, that’s down to individual dogs though none of my other borders have ever done it, so goes on the lead where there’s stock.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Re: OP’s question about the best small dogs – we have a Border/Poodle cross for 18 years, seemed to have limitless energy, very few visits to the vets. Bit willful on occasions, looked like an animated door mat but would happily follow me on some long training runs then take my dad for a walk 10 mins later.

@Iolo – just that these seem to be oxymoronic assertions to me, “Livestock are there to make babies and meat,” and “Sorry I’m an animal lover”.

surfer
    Free Member

Hi Daisy!

Look!! an Eagle.

Here is Izzy (8yrs) and Monty (6 months)

jamesfts
    Free Member

Cant go wrong with a mixed breed/mongrel terrier.

They’re generally hardier than pedigree dogs, cost less (if you’re buying rather than rescuing) and are completely unique.

We’ve two now after growing up with Great Danes and saying I’d never have a small dog.

Cedric, a Jack Russel cross Norfolk and Bella – a terrier mix/dachshund/god knows what else. Both good as gold with bags of character.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Disposable ? Not sure what you mean but he’s a pet dog not one of my kids. 100 years ago again not sure what that means particularly as the breed was only established about that time. He’s a dog that has had generations of specific breeding to capable of running all day with a pack of hounds & horses, hence the term ‘incredible endurance’ Also pretty sure it’s been substantially less than 100 years since fox hunting was banned & ohe came from a working family that was used to run alongside quad bikes round acres of fields.
    He runs he hunts & damn he even swims across lakes anything different would be wrong in my eyes.

He does smell though

@2unfittoride I built him up over time to get to this point starting him when he was v.young with just 10mins etc. I met a fell runner who had taken his over marathon distance & he said 10 – 20mins for ever month of age.

There’s a big difference between following a hunt all day and 40k at cycling pace. There’s a lot of walking, trotting and standing around doing nothing involved. It’s not all tally-ho and away.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Don’t get a Miniature Schnauzer, just come back from the pub with mine and it’s snoring so loud i can’t hear the bleeding telly.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s not all tally-ho and away.

Bike riding with a dog is certainly not tally-ho and away.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Best small dog’ is closed to new replies.