Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Best Sim only contract!?
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

Phone contract expires next month, happy with the phone so just want a sim only deal

Minutes and texts can be small as not used much, but data is big, exceed my 1gb regularly, so 2gb up to unlimited.

Tethering would be nice but think three one plan seems to be the only one for that.

Any bargains out there?

ross980
    Free Member

Three one plan here. Can’t fault it but for new customers the price has gone up recently and the tethering is no longer unlimited (I think)

grum
    Free Member

Three are good but apparently the 3G connection is generally pretty poor in London/the SE.

craig5

Griff gaff all day long. It piggy backs O2 apparently. You can change plan or cancel when ever you want to.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Saw giffgaff but it’s pay as you go…. Does that mean anything outside of your freebies you have to have credit for?!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Speak to the retentions department of your current mobile guys.
    I just did that yesterday with Orange/EE and moved from 24 month contract with handset to a 12 month sim only and got a good deal – unlimited calls & text plus 10GB 4G data (tethering allowed) for £12 a month.
    Also got a cracking deal on ultra-mega-super 80mbit fibre broadband thrown in too: (£26 including line rental)

GolfChick
    Free Member

Giffgaff user here, never go over my allowance, I use the £10 1 gig package on my phone and have 3 gig data pack on my ipad as I use it more at lunchtimes

somouk
    Free Member

Virgin offer a £15 a month unlimited everything package and it’s a 30 day rolling contract so no major issue if you need to get out.

Not sure on the tethering side of things.

granny_ring

I would normally say giff gaff too having been with them for 3 years. However, we have had no signal at home for around 6 days now as the local mast is up the creak at the mo. I know it’s not giff gaffs fault, it’s o2’s but giff gaff have been less than helpful in finding out more information and answering questions on how long it will be out for.

We’ve had a couple of odd days downtime here and there but this long down is a joke so thinking of moving to another SIM setup.

grum
    Free Member

I looked into giff gaff a while ago and they seemed to have had a lot of problems.

sadexpunk

ive been with them for around 7 or 8 years now, and only known 3 X downtimes, for a day or so each time. yeah, bit of a pain, but at £10 per month against what my mates are generally forking out, its worth it to me. i keep my eye on what others are doing too tho, and if i could find a rival that does unlimited tethering for just a little more, id probably move over.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve been with GiffGaff for 2 years, as has the wife. No issues except for when O2 went down for a day or so. What they don’t have us call centres. You manage it yourself which I think is better others may not.

As I mentioned before its easy to swap if it doesn’t work. Eg. In granny_rings case you could just pop into tesco, pick up a virgin sim and carry on. When the transmitter is back go back to giffgaff or stay on virgin

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

danielgroves
    Free Member

I’m with 3. 7000 minutes and texts, unlimited data and tethering. £15/month.

However, if I recall correctly I upgraded from an existing contract with them.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Rave reviews for giffgaff then!! They do look good, obviously no tethering….. Unless a secret tethering app appears in iTunes again!!

Was just the extras (premium rate and international) that concerned me, not so much going over allowances!!

Three one plan is up to £20 now and they have capped the tethering to 2gb for new customers, so the extra £8 over giffgaff seems not worth it.

With tesco at the mo so a deal is out of the question… Giffgaff enquiries it is!!

nickjb
    Free Member

You can tether on the 1Gb plan but not the unlimited. There are some other rules for 4g but that doesn’t matter to me.

granny_ring

Still no signal at home after 8 days…….and no replies from giffgaff either to say if they have found out any more information or not.
    Really not good enough at all.

granny_ring

Any deals for EE sim only either via another outlet or direct with them?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Im with virgin, £10.71 /pcm for unlimited data, & enough minutes and texts not to pay any extra(cant remember the exact number, but Im not a high user)

No tethering though 🙁

nickjb
    Free Member

Still no signal at home after 8 days…….and no replies from giffgaff either to say if they have found out any more information or not.

Have you posted on the help forum?

simon_g

Virgin £15 unlimited here.

Not sure tethering is “allowed” but it seems to work (iphone 5)

granny_ring

Have you posted on the help forum?

No. Asked an agent a couple of times and was told there was nothing they could do and they weren’t able to get anymore information than the hourly updates on the o2 site that I was checking. Was told to just sit tight and wait it out……

Finally got a signal at home yesterday pm, forget how many exactly but around 9 days later.

Waiting for their response to my reply to see what I will do.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Good luck granny_ring – although they will probably just ignore you! 😕

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Best Sim only contract!?’ is closed to new replies.