• This topic has 18 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Best shoes for hike-a-bikes?
  • Neb

Out on the hills today I struggled with walking on rough ground with my five tens. I could feel rocks through the sole of the shoe… The foot support isn’t the best and the grip on anything other than dry rock could be improved.

I’m in need of a new set of shoes anyway and I’ve the trans provence trip in a couple of months.

Any suggestions for shoes I should look at or try on?

Thanks muchly!

bikeneil
    Free Member

chakaping
    Free Member

Dunno if they’re still on the market but I always wear my sombrio shoes when I’m gonna be hike a biking.

Nice stiff soles but they’re still grippy enough to stay on the pedals.

But maybe I already told you this and they don’t make them any more.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Was going to say Five Tens!

What model have you got? Stiffness goes up from Freeriders, Freerider Contact, Impact 2, Impact VXi…

feed

Maybe it’s just that your 510 soles are worn out? When they get to that paper thin stage they don’t give much cushioning when walking on rock etc. Suggest new 510s, really great for hike a bike as they give much better grip on everything than any vibram type hiking boot sole !

devs
    Free Member

Now then I am a devout 5:10 apostle. I have 2 pairs on teh go at any one time. They are brilliant for everything except walking on wet mud, wet grass or snow. They are a nightmare for that. Tevas aren’t any better. Grip on mud etc is a compromise to grip on a pedal. If I am going to do a lot of hike a bike in adverse conditions I’ve got some Salomon shoes that somebody PSA’d here a while ago. They are a pretty good compromise but most times I’ll just man up on the 5:10s. Not on a big snowy hill ever again though, that was potentially very dangerous.

ajantom

I take it you’re not using flats for the Trans Provence?
    Anyway, in the recommend what you use style, I really rate Mavic Alpine XLs. Comfy (though go up a size), stiff in the right places for pedalling, but enough give for walking. I’ve done a fair bit of hike-a-biking in my mine, and the soles have good grip on most surfaces.

Matt_SS_xc

I find my teva links really comfy to walk in.
    I have the five ten walking shoes, great for walking, grippy to ride but I wouldn’t do proper riding in them…..

mudsoul
    Free Member

+1 on the Alpine XL if you’re not running flats.

stevied
    Free Member

ALpine XL’s are great for walking and riding. Stiff sole, plenty of grip off the bike and comfortable too

FOG

With chaka on this one. I love my Sombrios but have a pair of Tevas which are ok . Since I discovered there are no more Sombrios I use the Tevas mostly and save the Sombrios for best to try and prolong their life. I wish I had bought more pairs when they were cheap on CRC!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

5:10s (Impacts) are fine for me. Did the TP in them last summer too. (Enjoy – it’s bloody awesome)

stewartc
    Free Member

As mentioned above with the Mavics, Alpine, XL or Crossmax are all great for hike a bike situations (if your running flats).

tlr

Giro terraduro.

Spd Vibram soled shoe.

Kahurangi

Whatever is on your feet.

I’ve done hike-a-bikes skating around the Lakes on hard plastic soled SPD shoes, pushed up muddy slippy mountains on 5:10 ‘s and carried up snow-covered himalayan passes in slick bottomed Freerider VXi’s.

Sure they weren’t ideal but noone died 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

That’s nothing I crossed the south pole in nothing but my stockinged feet. They fell off on the boat home, but still.

I’m looking at the Shimano MT 34s at the mo (for my prosthetics) if anyone’s had a go on on them?

Neb

Thanks for the advice guys, I love my five tens for riding in I’ve just always thought they could be a little more versatile. I’ll have a looksee at your suggestions.

Looking at the other thread (that I saw after I’d posted this…) the Adidas terrex cross trail looks perfect for what I was after. Shame it’s discontinued / out of stock everywhere!

Kahurangi

That’s nothing I crossed the south pole in nothing but my stockinged feet. They fell off on the boat home, but still.

Have I told you about the time I pogo-stick’d across a glacier? Pull up a chair,

MSP

Shame it’s discontinued / out of stock everywhere!

rose bike had stock in most sizes when I looked the other day.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Best shoes for hike-a-bikes?’ is closed to new replies.