Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Best shoes for flat pedals?
  • endurokid
    Free Member

Any recommendations based on actual experience?

They need to be grippy and provide decent all round support, my budget is around £60, any thoughts?

Cheers.

Scapegoat

Five Ten Freeriders. . They’ll leave you enough change for a stealth edit.

endurokid
    Free Member

Thanks scapegoat but I’m after shoes, not pedals!

Phil_H

Shimano AM41, £60 at CRC.
    I like mine.

antennae
    Free Member

@endurokid, Five Ten Freeriders _are_ shoes:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=five+ten+freerider

…and damn good they are too.

endurokid
    Free Member

I’m using AM41s at the minute and I don’t find them that grippy, I’m using them with Saints and I’ve removed all the spacers. Plus, the sole is starting to come away, and considering I used the clipless pair (AM45 I think?) with flats they actually lasted longer!!

I’m thinking 5/10s, they’re just bloody expensive!!

Jamie
    Free Member

Those AM41s look a bit orthopaedic.

endurokid
    Free Member

@antennae, cheers, just a little out of my price range I’m afraid!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Freeriders ard damned good, and look good, too.

Unlike the Shimano corrective footwear.

creedy
    Free Member

If there still about the Teva links work bloody well with saints. My am41’s were awesome with my v12’s but the pins on the saints just don’t work well with the soles. The saint pins are a bit small even with the spacers out. Try J E James

mikertroid
    Free Member

Use 5:10 Freeriders on Saints-pretty good grip but amazingly comfortable and cool in heat (29° where I ride).

AM41s on Superstar Nanos for UK use; work well and good all weathers. Pretty light too

endurokid
    Free Member

Didn’t Teva go bust?

Think I need to trawl the tinterweb for some 5/10s I think.

Cheers all.

jedi

skate or bmx shoes and flat or convex pedals

creedy
    Free Member

Hence why they’re cheap if you can find them. One of the comfiest trainer/shoes ever worn. Not gone busy think they’ve just pulled out of the mtb market.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Five Ten Spitfires
    In budget. Brilliant shoes. Comfy as can be.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’d say Sombrio but they went bust too (coming back but the proces won’t be as bargainous). Tevas are def worth a look. I’ve got their DJ shoes and grip is excellent. Would not want to wear them, or the similar 5.10 Spitfires for longer periods in the saddle. The soles are far too flexible and unsupportive for me.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Five tens look awful, like bad skate shoes from the 90’s.

Adidas skate, nike SB in cup soles have stiffer soles and grippy rubber.

Personal favourites are half cabs.

Jamie
    Free Member

I used to use Nike 6.0s of some description. Cheap, nice stiff soles, and usually available in loads of colours. Think they go under Nike SB range now. Nike 6.0 was discontinued, apparently, and was merged into the Nike SB line.

Currently using some Hi-Tecs, which are grippier as, but soles are not stiff enough. So will probably hunt down some Nikes in the sales.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Nike SB and 6.0 completely different just fyi

Simon

Five Ten Freerider, the Danny Macaskill ones, are the best flat shoes I’ve used. Very sticky sole, stiff enough and very durable. Only thing they’re lacking is a lace keeper.

Mackem

Teva Links 42 quid.

They are the only pair of flats i’ve owned. But I like them

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/teva-links-shoe-black-id68373.html

Simon

I’ve had Tevas and they’re very comfy but not that stiff and they seem to rely on tread pattern for grip rather than sticky rubber. I ended up using them more off the bike than on.
    You can get them well within the OP’s budget now though.

nedrapier

5.10 dirtbag. casual, non-special suede shoes in a few colours. Same sticky sole as all the others £50 ish

jonnym92

I have some Helly Hansen shoes, think they’re called Jaeger?

Bought them ages ago, still going strong. Stick to my saints, durable and weatherproof!

travo
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’ve got some 5.10 freerider vxi’s size 10 as a warranty replacement from evans cycles which I’m selling, they’re still in the box and have the tags.
    I’ll take £50 for them, let me know if your interested.

johnhe

I don’t think there is really any comparison in the levels of grip between a pair of 5.10’s and a normal skate shoe or Nike or whatever. 5.10’s are fantastic.

endurokid
    Free Member

@travo, can you mail me a few more pics including the sole, cheers.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

5 10 convert here. was always using skate shoes as you can buy 4 pairs for the price of one pair of 5 10s, but the grip on the sole and that they are semi waterproof and stones bounce of the toe rather than crushing your foot, makes them worth every penny – i’m sure chainreaction will have a deal on them soon

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Best shoes for flat pedals?’ is closed to new replies.