Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Best Rucksack / Hydration
  • lindsay73
    Free Member

Im looking to by a rucksack for days out. (Approx 4hrs-5hrs) Been looking at the Deuter range. What are your thoughts on this range or any other makes.

sambob
    Free Member

Osprey Raptor is very well recommended, and comes in two back lengths.

porter_jamie

Just bought a wingnut hyper 3, with a camelbak bladder.
    Pluses: i almost forgot it was on. Very light, and i like how you can get to the side pockets really easily. The new camelbak bladder has a qr hose which is really handy, and i think the cb bite valve is the best one.

Minuses: not cheap. Need to buy separate bladder. Could do with some separation inside for tools, tubes etc.

rwc03
    Free Member

The Osprey Raptor is very good, great hydration system (maybe the best?) but I do get a sweaty back with it and you have to pay extra for a waterproof cover. The deuter AC pack I was using had a handy waterproof cover in the bottom and cooled my back very nicely but it doesn’t come with an hydration pack and isn’t officially a mtb bag but was good none the less. Both very good bags so I’d try to have a look at the two of them in the flesh if possible.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another Osprey vote here. Awesome kit, lovely company.

godzilla
    Free Member

Ive been pondering over a Wingnut hyper or the new osprey zealot.

shredder
    Free Member

Osprey Viper 13 here best pack ive had so much better than Camelbaks ive had IMO.

Will cinch up nice and small for local rides and expand to carry everything needed for a full day.

The ease of using the bladder alone sold it for me.

avdave2

Wingnut 2.5 here and I won’t be going back to a “normal” pack. I think they are much nicer to wear but whatever you get get pockets you can reach while wearing it.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

+3 for a Wingnut, best packs out there 😉

onewheelgood

There’s a test in the latest MBR. A Dakine wins it.

JAG

I’ve got an Osprey Raptor 14

It is a really nice rucksack and the hydration system is very well designed. Lot’s of pockets and zips (good and bad thing) with loads of storage and great straps and fixings.

RustySpanner

[RANT]
    Osprey & Deuter – Yes, they are good.
    But you really, really don’t need to spend that much on a rucksack.

Seriously, the way people latch onto bandwaggons, it’s sadder than my mum’s funeral.

Do you:

A) Want a decent rucksack that will last for years, be very comfy, take any bladder and keep all your kit dry?
    If so, try one of these.

They do a smaller 20 litre one which is unfortunately out of stock at the mo, but they weigh nowt, pack down well and are utterly bombproof.

If you want a smaller pack, these are superb and come with a bladder.

Believe me, I spent many years buying expensive rucksacs for walking, cycling and climbing, because there was no alternative.

There is now, and if you just want something that works, try one of the above packs, they’re ace.
    They are as good or better than the far more expensive alternatives.

However, if fashion and following the ‘in’ crowd is important to you, feel free to waste your cash.
    [RANT]

Ta, I feel better now.

johnhe

I love being able to carry lots of stuff if I really need to. The bags which are catching my eye currently are the HAWG and the Osprey Escapist.

singletracksurfer

another for wingnut. love them. can’t stand wearing ‘normal’ bags now.
    as people have mentioned low down so very comfy, no bach or shoulder strain, sweaty back and the side pockets are soooo useful. I keep tools & food in these. like the fact the main compartment is just one big space.
    ’tis more expensive than other bags though.

StuE
    Free Member

Wingnut 2.5 for me too,side pockets are the best bit for me.

avdave2

Believe me, I spent many years buying expensive rucksacs for walking, cycling and climbing, because there was no alternative.

If only you’d bought the wingnut, you wouldn’t have ended up a bitter, disappointed and disillusioned soul with a sweaty back. 🙂

RustySpanner

I’m not bitter – I’m now very happy and sweat free 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I didn’t. 🙂 Big thanks to Enty and Mike Pfotenhauer, of course……

Sionwms
    Free Member

If its of any help…. I love my Osprey Escapist 20… It’s a million times better than the camelbak mule it replaced!!!

RustySpanner

CaptainFlashheart – Member

I didn’t. Big thanks to Enty and Mike Pfotenhauer, of course……

You see, that’s exactly what’s wrong with this country
    The rich get free rucsacks whilst the rest of us poke about, working our fingers to the bone etc……. 🙂
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOOTKA0aGI0[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

RustySpanner

I’m serious you know.

When the revolution comes, ALL Osprey/Wingnutt owners will be sent for ‘re-education.’

As to people with colour matched handlebars and pedals:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a pair of gloves that match my Osprey pack*

Am I doomed?

* Thanks to the nice people at Troy Lee…. 😉

Mounty_73

I have had a HAWG for almost 9 years, still going strong, they just seem to last so IMO I think they are very good value for the money.

And you cant beat the camelbak bladders IMO/IME.

xcentric
    Free Member

Camelbak Charge LR – low reservoir for stablity and space in the top part of the rucksac. Wide mouth to bladder for easy fill plus good hose and bite valve. I can get basic tools, inner tube, light waterproof and softshell (just) in the pack, plus camera and phone in side pocket, and chocolate. Would be tight, but doable, for a full day out. Good, light, well-made product, happy with mine. Colour matches my bike, too 🙂

continuity
    Free Member

I thought pedals had to match saddle and grips and either fors or wheels.

i.e. contact points.

Bars must match seatpost (which means bars must be black until people start making colourful droppers).

compass81

I’ve had various DaKine packs for riding and snowboarding over the past 15-20 years. All of them simply refuse to die. Not even a pulled stitch. My drafter bike pack shows no sign of wear after 6 years use. I have a helipack that must be getting towards 15 years old now and even the buckle I trod on in my snowboard boots 10 years ago still works with a big crack down it. The bog standard ruck sack I bought from a windsurfing shop when I was still at school (20 years ago) is still being used by my dad.

Wouldn’t buy any thing else

rockhopperbike

just got one the these R15 Kriega packs

http://www.adventure-spec.com/default/soft-luggage-kriega-r15.html

from the guys at adventure spec – they are based in luddenden foot, so saves postage for me!

being using Kriega kit for years on the moto, very well made, and backup from the factory – in Chester.

the good thing about these pack is you can add extra storage packs to them- all very waterproof so good for a dry stash of clothes in winter (or english summer!)

mattjg
    Free Member

thread resurrection – looking at Osprey Viper 10 vs 13 – any opinions?

shredder
    Free Member

Had the Viper 10 nothing wrong but bit tight for a days worth of gear. Sold it and got the 13 will take a days worth of kit but also cinch down nice and small for local rides.
    Superb pack which ever you go for.

Hope that helps

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

any of these any good with a full face dh helmet ??

i looked at the evoc but 150 euro is a tad steep 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

Nick I have the 10 here (which I think I will swop for a 13) it’s fairly slim – do you mean for carrying?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For a full facer, try the new Zealot range from Osprey.

They took feedback from riders to build it. They even listened to me on some of it. 🙂

It’s on the front page in Fresh Goods today as wlel.

theblackmount
    Free Member

4-5 hrs isn’t much of a day out 😉

Anyway to answer your question: Osprey, DaKine et al are all pretty bombproof but like someone above said totally over designed. Been there done that. For me its all about weight, where the weight (load) goes and how easy it is to get sh1t in and out of.

Been using this for a few years now – everything from 1hr bimbles to 10hr winter epics in the Highlands. I’ve even managed to cram in enough gear for multi days jobs:

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Product-View-RacePro-18.html?L=26

Ultra light for its size (<600g)and surprisingly bombproof. The only downside I’ve found is the extra faff required to refill the bladder en route but that’s more than compensated by having the bladders weight in the right place. They do smaller and bigger sacs too…

superfli
    Free Member

I have a 6ltr Osprey Raptor and now a Zealot 16 (14ltr as its a small). The Zealot is a lot lot better than the already good Raptor. Pockets for phone on shoulder, tool pouch in the bottom compartment, main comp splits right open for access, waist pockets have zips on so you can keep your multi tool safe in there, seems more comfy too. A great rucsac, although it does seem heavy, not sure what it would be like for all dayers. I’ve used it for 3hr rides and it was fine

mattjg
    Free Member

Agree there is a degree of over-design – I have the current HAWG, there’s just too much of it, it feels like there is more bag than space.

Likewise I don’t see i’ll ever use the Osprey helmet carrier widget. On the other hand he magnetic holder for the bite valve is a master stroke!

crftom
    Free Member

evoc are by far the best

doug_basqueMTB.com

Another vote for Osprey. I’ve been using an Osprey escapist 25 pack (review here) and it’s really, really good. It’s so comfortable, well made and thought out. It’s not a bike specific model so doesn’t have armour attachements but the bike ones obviously do. I’ve just recently been testing out the hydration pack and it’s very good as well.

I use the helmet widget to keep everything together in the van but that’s about all. I’m scared to take my helmet off on climbs incase I get my balding noggin sunburnt.

patriotpro
    Free Member

@ Rustyspanner – Do those packs come with waist and chest straps?

lindsay73
    Free Member

I decided to get the osprey viper 13. Excellent rucksack which, holds everything for a days riding The waist and chest strap all aid to make the bag a good fit. The magnetic bite valve is great. Lots of pockets for stashing tools. Bladder excellent quality, and tucks nicely into its own compartment. The rucksack is a decent size, but you can tension all the straps to make it really compact for the shorter rides. Overall excellent quality.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Best Rucksack / Hydration’ is closed to new replies.