Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Best route up Studley Pike and more importantly back down?
  • Mugboo

Gonna ride up from Stubbing Wharfe on Wed night. So to make it a 1 1/2 to 2hr ride with a great descent to finish?

Any ideas? Is there a better pub to start from as beer is something i hold close to my heart!

Mugboo

Nobody?

ton

canal to mytholmroyd, road up to cragg vale, bw up to the pike and descent straight off the front.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'd go up the zigzags from Charlestown to Dick Lane, across bog to Pike, through rock garden and down the cobbles, then turn R half way down for very steep boggy drop (Mankinholes), across London Road, then R to Middle Stoodley House and fork left to Holmcoat Bridge and back 🙂

Mugboo

Thanks guys, i'll check those out on the map.

Sounds v wet mr Sfb!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Sounds v wet mr Sfb!

not really, you tart 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Nah… up the zig zags in the woods from Charlestown to London Road. Along London Road to the farm/gate then immediately left up the path. Over the wall, over the other wall and then straight up to the Pike. Then away from it through the rock garden and as it drops down to the permissive BW/pack horse trail, go straight on up, keep going and eventually get onto the pack horse trail towards that reservoir whose name escapes me. Follow the culvert west and then more pack horse trail across the bog to the other reservoir, follow the edge of the reservoir around to the far side you'll have hit it, past the disused reservoir and then pick up the mint descent back down to that pub above Mankinholes. Then BW/road back to London Road and finish on Birthday X but taking the left turn which will spit you back down towards the Stubbing Wharf.

Mugboo

Birthday X?

Easy enough to find?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

If I remember, I'll drop you a note tonight Mugboo 😉

peachos
    Free Member

daveyboy – have you got a gpx of that at all? i usually come over to studley out and back along the cobbles from walsden and frankly get pretty bored of them quite easily so looking to alter the route. usually ride up the cobbles from mankinholes to the top and then along across the rocks to the pike and then straight down the front to london road before heading back along those bloody cobbles. interested to find a better way back to walsden.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Don't think I have a gpx of it but I can scribble on a google earth screenshot or something and mail it you.

Mugboo

That would be lovely DBW, thanks. Email in profile.

peachos
    Free Member

cheer DBW if that was meant for me…

mrcarlpeachey@hotmail.com

🙂

elaineanne
    Free Member

geez you spelt it studley ? you cant spell it like that 😥 👿
    'Stoodley Pike'……. 😉

m4dmatt
    Free Member

dbw – see link – i think it starts right but gets lost round the reservoir and birthday x is alien to me any input greatly welcomed!!
    matt

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Good effort Matt but no cigar. When the track on your map heads east towards Withens Res, my route goes straight on (there is a trail on the photo) in a south west (ish) direction. Then the 'actual' trail goes around the west of Gaddings Dam, then around the northern edge, then heads back south-easterly towards the top of that gulley and theres a track that comes down from that towards Mankinholes. All on OL21 and all cheeky so don't really want to publicise it more on here!

peachos
    Free Member

i'm really intrigued. just been looking at the map & think i know where you mean…but come on share the wealth, pleeeeeeassse?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Warning – this is a footpath and hence, illegal to ride bikes down it. You have been warned.

MrSparkle

geez you spelt it studley ? you cant spell it like that
    'Stoodley Pike'…….

Lol.

(see what I did there?)

m4dmatt
    Free Member

DBW – ive changed the route for my walk. Is this more like the one you do?? still not got birthday x in and i understand its a lovely walk..
    elaine anne, well spotted on the spelling. it bodes well for your tat

Mugboo

Sorry Elaine anne, you know when you get something in your head a certain way round you stop seeing it – might always be Studley to me!!

peachos
    Free Member

DBW, cheers that's the one i was looking at. will be incorporating that next time i'm up there.

thanks again

Mugboo

DBW – thanks for the route. As it turns out it was pretty easy to follow but we were in complete darkness as we hit the descent from the disused res.

Halfway down we came upon some cows with a calf that insisted on following the track down which slowed us down a bit… Bloody cows, in the countryside, whatever next!

Took London rd back but dropped down by Middle Studley House and followed the road back. Any chance of an email with the last section on please?

Cheers Jason

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Best route up Studley Pike and more importantly back down?’ is closed to new replies.