• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best Road tyre for…..
  • Kryton57

General training rides (50-100k) and the odd event please? I’ve just managed to get a 2 cuts in a Schwalbe Durano S. 🙂

I see Conti Gatorskins mentioned a fair bit here, so is it those or is there a better/ faster / gripper alternative around the same price point?

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Well I ride gator skins and so do many in the West Suffolk Wheelers as they are very good, they roll well and they resist cuts and punctures very well.

In my shop I sell them for £22 in my shop (The Cycle Clinic) I really would recomend them no matter where you get them from. I used to run Ultraraces and after one ride I picked 20 flints out the the rear tyre. To say it was cut was an understatment and a bit punctured to!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Conti 4 seasons.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I got a cut in my GP4000 so replaced it with a cheep schwalbe blizzrd.

Doesn’t feel as grippy, but then I’ve not actualy made it slip yet* so it’s probably me head telling me a £13 tyre isn’t as good as a £40 tyre.

*I’ve never had a road tyre slip on anything other than manholes, diesel, mud, leaves or gravel, on which arguably nothign will grip.

They’re black and they go round in circles acceptably well, wont be going back to GP4000’s unless I can ditch the beer belly and justify saving weight.

Kryton57

Wire bead though bm0p700f?

anyone got a view on Mitchi Krylion Carbon, currently on offer at CRC?

imnotverygood

Michelin kyrilions are great. Reasonalbly fast, reasonably robust & grip well. Gatorskins are puncture resistant, but I find them petrifying in the wet.

finbar
    Free Member

Vittoria Rubinos or Zaffiros. I really hate Gatorskins. They cut up, they’re slippy and they’re not exactly cheap. God knows why they have any sort of positive reuputation.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve just managed to get a 2 cuts in a Schwalbe Durano S

No rubber is immune to cuts, could happen to any tyre.

Kryton57

Ok so I can can Vittoria Rubino’s for £19.99 & Michelin Kryrilion carbons for £23.

Which one, and any others to consider? Not sure I like the tread on the Vittoria TBH…

cynic-al
    Free Member

tread is irrelevant, even in the wet.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

not if there IS tread..

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’ve always used ProRace3’s and its only now, after about 2000 miles that they’re getting low on the rubber and suffering from a few small nicks. Must be where you ride?

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Yes wire bead. Folding is a bit more but not alot.

rootes1

Michelin Pro3 are on good deals at the mo.

also for cuts have been using with success a rubberised superglue to seal them back up.

http://tinyurl.com/7bkclxl

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Vittoria Rubino Pros haven’t let me down with any punctures since I got them for Christmas. Not a connoisseur of road tyres but grip seems decent. They don’t look as if they’re cutting up much either. Fewer sketchy moments than the stock tyres that came with the bike.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Re tread on road tyres:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

Tread for on-road use
    Bicycle tires for on-road use have no need of any sort of tread features; in fact, the best road tires are perfectly smooth, with no tread at all!

Unfortunately, most people assume that a smooth tire will be slippery, so this type of tire is difficult to sell to unsophisticated cyclists. Most tire makers cater to this by putting a very fine pattern on their tires, mainly for cosmetic and marketing reasons. If you examine a section of asphalt or concrete, you’ll see that the texture of the road itself is much “knobbier” than the tread features of a good-quality road tire. Since the tire is flexible, even a slick tire deforms as it comes into contact with the pavement, acquiring the shape of the pavement texture, only while in contact with the road.

People ask, “But don’t slick tires get slippery on wet roads, or worse yet, wet metal features such as expansion joints, paint stripes, or railroad tracks?” The answer is, yes, they do. So do tires with tread. All tires are slippery in these conditions. Tread features make no improvement in this.

http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/michelinbicycle/index.cfm?event=smoothtread.view

Why a Smooth Tread on Road Tires?
    The oval shape of a bicycle road tire contact patch permits effective water evacuation to help keep the tire from hydroplaning.

The footprint of a 23mm tire (approx. 7 sq. cm) is so small that the bike would need to be traveling at about 120MPH in order to hydroplane.

Nevertheless, some road tire models are designed with specific tread structures – primarily for cosmetics or to comfort the consumer. Sometimes tread features can help provide a harder rubber compound a better mechanical link with the road surface, for better grip.

DezB
    Free Member

Schwalbe Ultremo are the longest lasting lightweight tyre I’ve tried.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Best Road tyre for…..’ is closed to new replies.