Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Best road bike for £1000?
  • tiger_roach
    Free Member

Having looked at this the other day I reckon it might be this from Evans – wheels ain't great though:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/aeos-carbon-ltd-2010-road-bike-ec023559

singletracksurfer

boardman – so i'm told

chutney13
    Free Member

should have a look at cannondale caad9.

RealMan
    Free Member

boardman or ribble.

sofatester
    Free Member

Depends very much on what type of road riding you intend to do?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ribble Sportive Racing Campagnolo 10 Spd – £959 – 10 sp Veloce

If you wanna sportive,race etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Do you want a sportive or a race bike?

Boardman – carbon if you want carbon for the sake of having carbon

Otherwise look at a Cannondale CAAD9, Ive a CAAD4 and can't see it being replaced for a few more years yet.

The best road bike for £1000 is probably a second hand one, they dont wear out like mountainbikes, and just like mountainbikes its only marketing people and their believers who believe that this years model is 200.45% better than the last.

swampi
    Free Member

I think the boardman carbon bikes have shot up by £200 and now are £1199.99 which takes them out of most people bike to work scheme limit and above the grand mark

5lab

i think the £1200 boardman is a different model (wasn't last year's white?) – might be able to find shops with the £1000 model still in.

Halfords appear to be clearing their stock/making way for next year's at the moment

there's a carrera carbon bike for under a grand if it takes your fancy – a bit more tri than standard road though

Brycey
    Free Member

Anyone know anything about the Trek 2.3? My logic was that Trek MTBs are generally decently specced in their price bracket (some Bontrager finishing parts excepted) and this one seems okay with 105 groupset etc. Or am I just believing the Armstrong marketing hype!?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Trek are were quite harsh when I last looked at buying one, compared to cannondales anyway. CAAD frames tend to feel more like old steel frames, except the BB is much stiffer when pedaling.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Anyone know anything about the Trek 2.3?

I've got a 2.1 which costs £975. It has the same hydroformed frame as the 2.3 with mostly 105 components. I really like it.

At the £1000 level the Trek looks a lot better than the equivalent Cannondale.

Otherwise look at a Cannondale CAAD9

Great advice except it's £300 over budget.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/bikes/q/drop-bar-road-bikes/sl-pro-carbon

Seriously good value, and they now have a show room in Sheffield so you can try before you buy. Looks quite posh n'all. I'm very tempted to push the buy now button.

13thfloormonk

I got my Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra Compact for £1000 on the dot.

Really nice bike, feels great uphill and down, although I haven't much to compare it to. Significantly lighter than the aluminium Cube it replaced, although the Cube was still great fun.

slowjo
    Free Member

I was out for a ride with a guy who had just taken delivery of a nee Planet X. OK it was over £1k cos he had specced sexy wheels and an upgraded groupset but it looked the dog's nads. It was light, and it was fast and had I not bought a new road bike last year I would be sorely tempted.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I got my Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra Compact for £1000 on the dot.

Interesting. When I was looking the Cannondale at £1000 was a CAAD 8. Hence why I got the Trek.

Brycey
    Free Member

Anyone recommend a particular shop in Greater Manchester or Central Scotland for doing C2W with? Our scheme seems to have endless shops to choose from rather than the Halfords/Evans effort.

13thfloormonk

£1000 on Evans although I got mine at Alpine

ahwiles
    Free Member

without doubt, it's the genesis equilibrium:

simply beautiful.

it's the bike i most want to settle-down and grow old with.

Alex

I have the Boardman Carbon (999 last year) and it's great. Wheels are pretty cheap but stonking good value. I do like that Genesis as well tho, but two road bikes would just be wrong!

Boardman has made road riding sort of fun like it never was before. Not ridden anything else mentioned in this thread but if you can get a Boardman for less than a grand, it's a damn fine bike.

chalkstorm
    Free Member

Ditto Planet-X. Got the SL Pro – £999 with SRAM Rival. Light and fast (faster than me!).

firestarter
    Free Member

Cannondale I'd say biggest regret of any bike I've sold when I got rid of on caad5 I even tried buying it back lol I now have a Sabbath September ti but I'd love a caad9

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Best road bike for £1000?’ is closed to new replies.