Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Best rear light that doesn't give up in the wet?
  • whereisthurso
    Free Member

My halfords rear led has just died after 2 weeks of use in the rain so I’ll be returning it tomorrow. I’ve found similar failings with Blackburn and Knog also. Can anyone recommend a good cheapish rear light that can stand up to the elements? Thanks.

cyclistm
    Free Member

I have the same problem. I wrap the lights in sellotape to provide some added protection.

My exposure rear light has performed well so far. The one with the cable, can’t remember what it’s called

Edit, it’s an exposure red eye long cable

lightman
    Free Member

Do you use mud guards?

welshfarmer

I have a Lezyne thing that is tiny and runs on flat button batteries. It is on the seat post of my mountain bike and has survived 2 winters of absolute wet muddy sloppy abuse. No protection from the elements or rear wheel either so often have to dig it out of the clag in order to make it visible on the road. Cost about £15 I think and a 10 pack of batteries was a tenner. I am currently only on the 2nd one.

Just checked, it is the femto…

like this
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-femto-drive-rear-led-light/

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Niterider cherrybomb 1 Watt.

Brilliant and very bright!

Del

cateye tld 1000. pricey, fairly primitive, and large. good vis though, and runs on AA batteries. most importantly has a large seal on the end. i have two about 5/6 years old that have been through all sorts.
    BTW, always run 2 rear lights out of choice. when they fail you’re unlikely to notice until you stop.

coatesy
    Free Member

Whilst you’re in Halfords, pick up a tube of Blue Hylomar sealant to smear over the seals of your new light, it’s non-setting, so you can still remove batteries easily, and works wonders on my lights for waterproofing.

Trekster

My new Electron survived this mornings monsoon 😀
    Hylomar is great stuff…..

TiRed

PDW Fenderbot. Of course you have to mount it to a rear mudguard. Then all the other lights work fine too. Not had any problems with my Cateye Rapid 1s even without a rear guard. They are USB rechargeable so sealed.

dunmail
    Free Member

+1 for the cateye tld 1000 probably the best rear light I’ve come across.

Also the Moon Comet is decent, USB rechargable and visible from a good distance, small enough have with you at all times.

As others have said having two (or more) rear lights is useful in case one fails – you don’t want to find out that you’ve no rear light by someone running in to the back of you 8)

dirtyrider
    Free Member

got this one from charliethebikemonger

Danger Zone Tail Light

its been about as wet as i could get it over the last year, seems well sealed

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve got two Moon Shields that alternate between helmet mount, seatpost on the Brompton (With mudguards) and seatpost on the Diverge (currently without mudguards). They’re both a couple of years old and are faultless to date.

Messing around with sealant etc seems daft. A light should be good enough without the need to fettle it. It’s one of those fit and forget things for me (Apart from recharging, obviously!).

z1ppy

Yes the clips a bit crap but there cheap as chip as long as you don’t buy a branded one.. Wouldn’t want to commute with ‘only’ one but for MTB where a bit of road work is involved I can’t see any point in spending more.
    M8 has been through a fibre flare, a knog skink (both good light output wise) and now onto a Lezyne Femto, while I continue to use my £2.99 special (with a mudguard)…

mrphil
    Free Member

Knog Boomer USB.

Had one of these for 3 years, never failed and lasts along time.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mudguard + 1

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Have ended up going for the Moon Crescent which seemed like a good deal from wiggle. I’ll team that up with a few of the tiny Aldi ones I have.

Would get mudguards but can’t afford them given that I use different bikes throughout the week so don’t want to buy three sets.

Will see how it goes but I might tape it up just to make sure there is absolutely no chance of any water getting in. That or just stop cycling in this monsoon weather 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Best rear light that doesn't give up in the wet?’ is closed to new replies.