Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • best portable dab radio?
  • sadexpunk

decided to get meself a ickle dab radio. looking at the pure models, but a bit confused with pure one mini, pure one mi, etc etc. after something hand held size with a bit of punch.

any advice, suggestions etc and where best to buy?

thanks

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

‘Small’ does not equal ‘punch’
    🙂

We have a Pure One Classic which we got as a wedding gift. It’s ‘normal radio size’ and has a pleasing tone and is perfect in our kitchen/diner. It’s a nice bit of kit IMO 🙂
    Nowadays I’d not bother buying one if I didn’t already have one TBH, I’d just stream it from the computer in the corner or from my phone off a dock of some sort, mainly because there’s a bigger variety of stations on the web and there’s no reception issues

househusband

IMHO DAB radios get through batteries rather quickly compared to non-digital radios – or are you after one for use with earphones..?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Very happy with this – http://www.trustedreviews.com/pure-one-flow_Portable-Audio_review

Mind you, I got it for £49.99 from a local Tesco Extra which makes it a cracking deal IMHO.

BigJohn

I got a very cheap Technika from Tesco last year and some rechargeable LSD batteries and charger from Strikalite. Ever so pleased – I use it on site all the time and it even works well sitting on the passenger seat of the car.

sadexpunk

thanks

ideally i want to use it in the garage while i do a bit of gym work. i tried using my phones radio app but it loses the buffer after a few mins, and virgins ‘superhub’ isnt so super as it doesnt reach the outside of my house >-(

if i could get that sorted, i might be better off buying a bluetooth speaker like a jambox or something. but i just thought sod it, might as well cut out the faffing and just buy a dedicated radio.

cheers

tails
    Free Member

Check out tivoli think they might have something along those lines.

fasthaggis

Got a Pure One with the rechargeable battery, it gets used all over the house/shed. Seems to go a while between charges,but I had heard that they use more energy.

CountZero

I’ve got a Pure One Mi, and it’s a bit ‘thin’ sounding, there’s no bass to speak of, and while its fine if you have it close by, I expect if you’re doing gym stuff, the noise might drown it out. Tesco are doing the Pure One for £55 at the moment, which I reckon is the best value for money. http://www.tesco.com/direct/pure-one-classic-portable-dabfm-radio-black/204-5809.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=204-5809

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

I’ve got a Ruark R1. That’s got punch, it’s a great sounding dab radio. Also got a R4 but that’s probably bigger than what you’re after.

grantway
    Free Member

At home and on site working I use the Pure Oasis
    al you gonna need.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My mum has a wee Roberts that seems to work well.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Pure Classic series II.. great little radio and can get a re-chargable pak so doesnt always need mains. £55 from pcworld / currys

sadexpunk

Nowadays I’d not bother buying one if I didn’t already have one TBH, I’d just stream it from the computer in the corner or from my phone off a dock of some sort, mainly because there’s a bigger variety of stations on the web and there’s no reception issues

im sort of in the same boat, id have a phone/laptop with me at all times and wifi at home and work, its just the sound quality im after really. id be quite happy using laptop if i could get a decent sound from it. all im bothered about is 6 music, its all i listen to on the radio. and 6 music in a tinny stylee would be awwwwwwwful 🙂

I’ve got a Pure One Mi, and it’s a bit ‘thin’ sounding, there’s no bass to speak of, and while its fine if you have it close by, I expect if you’re doing gym stuff, the noise might drown it out.

thats the sort of info im after ta, i was on the verge of getting one, but sound quality is fairly important to me.

I’ve got a Ruark R1. That’s got punch, it’s a great sounding dab radio. Also got a R4 but that’s probably bigger than what you’re after.

just looked at those ta and yep, they look very nice. not willing to spend £150 on a portable radio tho.

just looking at a few of your links, trying to sort out what id be after, and what i dont need. as i said, im just after something that plays 6 music with a decent sound quality, not after bells and whistles such as recording, or unnecessary fm.

thanks

EDIT: dont really understand RMS, but i see the evoke flow is 7W RMS, whilst others just list a ‘3″ speaker unit’, and others a 3″ speaker unit and 7W RMS.
    the oasis flow is a 4″ speaker unit and 10W RMS.

am i likely to be able to tell the difference in these?

sadexpunk

been googling and decided the pure one elite series 2 will give me the best sound for the money.

thanks a lot

CountZero

I’ve just been into Sainsbury’s for beer and scotch, and they’ve got some pretty decent looking DAB radios on sale for £25-35, reduced by about 50%, which is pretty good seeing as how their reduced price Pure One Mi is £25! They have what look to be decent size speakers, the more expensive one is stereo, so it might be worth you taking a spin round your nearest Sainsbury’s, and having a shufti, you might get a bargain.
    You can always take it back if you don’t like it!

sadexpunk

ah right, nice find. can you remember what makes/models they were besides the Mi?
    itll be worth a look, so thanks a lot 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve had a Pure Move for years. I like it.

Battery life isn’t bad but it isn’t the loudest. On/Off switch is a masterpiece of form over function.

CountZero

Umm, Red-something or other? One looks a bit like a Pure, round cornered, alloy fascia, single speaker, the other looks a bit more ‘traditional’, with a speaker at each end. Sorry, not being terribly helpful there, am I?
    Yes, it’s the two Red models on the top two rows of this page:
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/technology/cd_playershi_fi_and_radio/dab_radio/list.html
    I’m sure they were cheaper in store, but even so, they’re not that expensive.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

No need for a DAB radio. Jawbone Jambox speaker plus iPhone / IPad / Mac / Android device etc. Connect device to speaker via Bluetooth play music from Spotify, TuneIn Radio, iTunes etc and away you go. The Jawbone speaker also has a battery, making them portable. They sound good too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What about using podcasts on your smartphone?

sadexpunk

thought about the podcast route, but theres just not enough decent casts for my liking, i looked at that a while ago. and i need a decent sound. which is where the jambox could come in.

i do like those jamboxes but…..as my virgin wifi’s sh*t and doesnt reach my garage, and my phone loses the 6 music buffer after a few minutes, its looking like it needs to be a dedicated radio.

ill have a sneaky look in sainsburys tomorrow methinks…..

CountZero

It’s all fine and dandy talking about streaming radio on a phone, but a week listening to three hours of 6Music will eat a huge amount of your data allowance. 3 hours = 100Mb; 5 days listening to one show a day and there’s 500Mb gone, two weeks, and that’s a whole month, 1Gb of data. Very few people have unlimited data, and even that has some sort of limit, BT broadband has a 10Gb limit.
    With a DAB radio there’s no issue with data allowances. Or buffering, as sadexpunk has found. And £25-40 for a DAB radio isn’t a bank-breaker.

sadexpunk

thanks CZ, popped into sainsburys and got meself a half price Red dab. £30.

as is usual for me tho, im still not sure i made the right decision 🙂
    sounds fine, but now im starting to think about the pure elite, and how itd be better for barbecues, camping etc with a chargepak, and connectability of mp3 players/phones etc to play through.

thing is, we’re talking £30 against £100. ho hum….. :-/

bikeind
    Free Member

pure oasis by far the best

sadexpunk

looks what id want yep, but its £100 more than what i just paid. plus a £30 chargepak too? shame but i just cant justify it :-/

phycomp
    Free Member

Just got my Mum a limited edition orange finish Ruark R1 DAB radio, sounded a lot larger than it is, kind of retro funky styling, especially in Tango finish :0)

sadexpunk

still googling away and noticed the evoke 3 can record shows to an sd card, which appeals to me, altho google suggests that there seems to be a fair bit of software probs connected to this model.
    any other makes have this sd card ability? itd be nice to use an EPG to store a few progs for when theres nowt on the radio. i was going to say also a radio tht could take a connection from a phone to play music stored on that, but the sd card would take care of that side of things.

any suggestions?

thanks

mav12
    Free Member

Ive just bought a roberts ecologic1 takes4 aa batteries and can recharge them fro m the mains power pack well made and decent sound for the size£46
    offebay

sadexpunk

thinking more about it, i didnt know about this ability to record to sd cards before, and i really want that now 🙂

so…… record to sd, long batter life (chargePAK) and decent sound seem to be my main requirements. i cant see past the evoke 3, unless anyone knows of a different make that does these same specs?

cheers

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘best portable dab radio?’ is closed to new replies.