Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • best places to ride and wild camp in scotland
  • pease
    Free Member

im off to scotland this thursday for 4/5 days. going to ride some of the trails, bit of natural and hopefully if weather is good maybe a bothy or wild camp one night.
    any views on great places to ride/ camp?? taking the camera so would like some dusk/sunrise views 😀

druidh
    Free Member

im off to scotland

Whereabouts in Scotland? It’s a pretty big place.

Ambrose

As Kim said earlier, Cairngorms are great, but west coast is betterer IMHO. Torridon is wonderful but a bit of a drive from home.

pease
    Free Member

sorry, we have no set destination heading for fort william on the thursday night and then work from there. dont want to go to far north on this trip. (but who knows where we will end up )

robsoctane
    Free Member

Getting on the train, go up the west coast and get off at (the Trainspotting) stop… that starts you at Rannock moore, bookeletiv mor. Maybe up Stob Ban (pointy mountain) and over the ridges to Anarch more nam beaan. Plenty of bothies etc. lots of riding to be done but you’ll have to shoulder too, a lot… I will post pics if you like?

one tip: take a radio with long and medium wave. No radio signal in them parts I know of…

Sorry if my Scottish is really bad, well, Gaelic, ye na….

pease
    Free Member

how long would that take do you think? i think what we will do is go with lots of ideas and then see what happens. weather etc may play a part in it. was hoping to have a day on the snowboard but i dont think theres much there this year 🙁

fizzer
    Free Member

FFS don’t go to the Pentlands…

trail_rat
    Free Member

was pretty close to favorite wild camp as we didnt see a soul and the sea breeze kept the mid summers midges away

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think Ranoch moor is a good bet for you. there is a bunkhouse at corrour station, some decent riding around those parts as well. Just note that Glen nevis is a bit of a scramble ( altho a well maintained path) thru the narrow part above the road end and the path is pretty fiant for much of it.

double track marked on the maps willbe rideable adn will vary from smooth gravelled road to ” a landrover went this way a few years ago” singletrack marked on the map might be rideable, might not be there

Hve a search on here for routes – been a lot of discussion
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/southern-caringorm-route-advice

You need to be able to read maps and to modify your routes depending on the weather

camp site near corrour

20 Camping at Carrour by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

gari
    Free Member

@trail rat, that camp on Mull by any chance? By the rugby club maybe?
    Great spot, I camped there on a ride through to Ardnamurchan.
    I am based in Aviemore so would of course recommend the Cairngorms, great trails, a few bothies and lots of wild camping, in fact I am out bike packing this evening, a short trip into Glen Einich maybe.

trail_rat
    Free Member

haha gari i wondered if anyone would get it 😀

yep thats it. rode from fort william to there to iona and back via calgary beach, tobermory and ardnamurchan – popped in to visit trevor at the field centre and bumped into an austin seven fan club at salen

pease
    Free Member

some nice pics there. now im getting excited 🙂 thanks for the info. lets hope the weather comes good again for this weekend.

fergal
    Free Member

Don’t forget your passport.

pease
    Free Member

DOH!! good job you reminded me 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘best places to ride and wild camp in scotland’ is closed to new replies.