Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best place oop north for a weekend getaway?
  • TheFlyingOx

Seeing as there seem to be a few people shunning the relatives for the sweet, warm embrace of STW, I thought I’d ask.

I’m working away the whole of the Christmas and New Year period, so my mum said she’d like to do a weekend away when I get back. They’re in Sheffield, we’re in Edinburgh, and so I’m after ideas of somewhere roughly half way inbetween. I reckon there’ll be a fair bit of booze involved, so nice pubs are a must, but then I don’t just want to spend the whole weekend pished. Any ideas where’s good for touristy things, with decent restaurants to boot?

Ta muchly, and seasons greetings to all.

iDave
    Free Member

sunderland

TheFlyingOx

sunderland

iDave
    Free Member

Ok, Grassmere then

gusamc
    Free Member

me + bird did Lancaster for a coule of nights, pretty impressed, small town, buzz, cycling, history, hill, canal, coast, castle, old docks .

Thai by Bus Staton was recommended (via here) and was worth it.

TooTall
    Free Member

Newcastle – without a shadow of a doubt. Great eating, drinking, loads to see and do, compact city centre, coast 9 miles away (Tynemouth, getting better all the time – Front Street has pubs and great restaurants now) and well located for you.

Sunderland – just say no.

cranberry
    Free Member

The Lake District – beautiful scenery, and some great pubs.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Newcastle, and head to Cafe 21 for a nice meal (or Jesmond Dene House, or Fisherman’s Lodge, or Pan Haggertys, or Blackfriars)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Harrogate. Make them do all the driving.

Mackem

Hexham.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

York. I’m biased as I live in the city but very historic lots of good restaurants and the shopping isn’t bad either.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Richmond is a lovely Market town and easy to get to from the A1. But Harrogate/York both very good shouts.

mountainposture

I always forget York is actually quite lovely, too. Harrogate also. Newcastle surprised me greatly, in a good way, when I spent a weekend there with my Mum – really attractive city centre and good for mooching round.

geoffj

Hexham +1

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best place oop north for a weekend getaway?’ is closed to new replies.