Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Best place for welding on disc tabs on titanium frame?
  • jonjones13
    Free Member

Any suggestions? Got a v-brake Ti frame that I want to convert to disc – any ideas on who could do (a nice job) for me?

allthepies
    Free Member

On the seatstay.

<coat on>

XC_PK
    Free Member

Vernon Barker?

jonjones13
    Free Member

very good, allthepies, very good…

Cheers, XC_PK. I used Enigma to shot-blast a ti frame before so waiting for them to get back to me, but Vernon's site says, yay no problem, £85

Cheers,
    Jon

thepodge
    Free Member

I generally hear good things about VB but some one on here posted a shot of a ti disc mount that he'd done and it was bloody awful.

Zone
    Free Member

enigma!

What's the Frame?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Nice…
    Not, I had my bike done by VB, it came back with a clamp mark & a shit looking mount, I sold it ASAP, V's aren't that bad!

That's not my bike above, that's what butcher Barker can do to a true classic 🙁

alexathome
    Free Member

Is enigma anything to do with 'omega' is it the same guys? if so, beware. look at the hideous mess they made of my Litespeed Tellico, these frames used to retail for 2.5k, i'd be luck to get 100 quid for it now, I really regret having it done 🙁 What ever you do ASK (read: demand) to see photo's of the work they have done, if they can't provide any WALK AWAY! or if you really don't care about what it looks like, or even if it's put on straight then get it done.

Del

Best place for welding on disc tabs on titanium frame?

the manufacturers, during manufacture?

saladdodger
    Free Member

I think Argos in bristol may do it and there workmanship is world class

Riofer
    Free Member

I think Argos send any Ti work to VB

oldfart

TBH for gawds sake leave it as it bloody amateurs spoil frames.

jonjones13
    Free Member

Don't want it screwed up as it's a very nice Kish titanium single speed, so I'll enquire with Kish how much they'd charge. If it's small/nowt, it might be worth me paying postage both ways…

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Hairychested have a look at this

ajantom

Not pretty – but who cares when it’s covered in mud! Have a look at the A2Z didc adaptors – http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/118257.html – clamps on the rear stay and axle. Solid and it saves ruining a nice old frame.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Yes, I am having a look. Scary at times, isn’t it?
    I’m curious but also skint so there’ll be others getting it done before me. I’ll try to use their experiences 😉
    I’ve never heard of VB but the opinions about Enigma are rather great. £100 to get it done.
    Alternatively I’ll see if anybody back in Poland does it as I can have it shipped over and back for some 20 Euro.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Blimey thosewelded ones look horrifi. No brace neither.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Are you sure disc brakes is a good idea.

I was twice warned off adding a disc brake tab to a Ti Kona Hei Hei. Something to do with twisting forces being too powerful for the frame….can’t remember exactly as it was a while ago but do remember being told, if it hasn’t got a DB tab, it wasn’t designed for disc brakes

Hairychested
    Free Member

That’s why I want somebody very good to do it. Brant, who would you recommend?

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Hairychested, YGM.

Hairychested
    Free Member

So have you, thanks a million.

downshep

VB converted my early Airborne Lucky Strike. Alignment is spot on, can’t fault it at all. Aesthetically, it ain’t that pretty BUT it works and the frame is back in use rather than gathering dust.

It’s a judgement call whether such a conversion is worth the money and risk. It was for me as grinding rims are now a thing of the past. However, if the dropouts and seatstays on the LS weren’t so chunky, I wouldn’t have risked it. The brake is also a single pot caliper on a 140mm disc to minimise torque. You pays yer money…….

druidh
    Free Member

Near the drop outs.

HTH

cynic-al
    Free Member

EPIC FAIL

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Best place for welding on disc tabs on titanium frame?’ is closed to new replies.