Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Best place for Fire XC pros
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Anyone bought any recently, all black the “better” versions?

Thanks

BoardinBob

Best place for Fire XC Pros?

Probably the bin!

D0NK

bob beat me to it

joolsburger
    Free Member

Ha. So what alternative tyre would you suggest, funny as they are the best reviewed tyre on MTBR by a mile. I’m happy to try them.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

10 years ago?

Despite the above, I love Fire XCs. Not sure what their new equivalent would be though as they’re not the sort of tyre I use much these days… Maybe a Conti X-King etc?

wwaswas

*Longs for the days when the answer to every stw what tyre question was “Conti Vert Pro”*

Simpler times.

[edit] unless your local geology has altered recently and if you’re happy with them then stick with them would be my advice.

MoreCashThanDash

I used to pick them up from the one day cycle people – no longer going, but they are a decent cheap all rounder tyre IMHO

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve got a partially worn set of Fire XC Pros (red band though) that you can have for £5 plus postage if it’s just a question of trying them out. They are an older model and I don’t know what differences there are.

footflaps

Probably the bin!

Never found a tyre with so little grip.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Well my money my choice they will do fine for me I’m sure. I’m not an uber free rider just a spot of XC in all weathers. I’m on vertical pros now, I’m just old fashioned I suppose! Still hoping for an answer to the OP.

belugabob
    Free Member

The correct way to distinguish the better ones is that they hav a plain white logo.
    There are versions of the better ones that have coloured stripes so “all black” isn’t a good thing to look for.
    Perfectly good tyres if you ask me, compared to mountain kings – and providing that It’s not too muddy.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Original Conti MKs (OEM)

D0NK

unless your local geology has altered tyre manufacturers R&D budget has been slashed recently and if you’re happy with them then stick with them would be my advice

they were ok, reasonable volume, light/fast-ish but they didn’t grip too well on wet rock and clogged in mud.

(shhh tell you a secret, I got my old set of XCs out for a sustrans/tarmac commute last month, they managed admirably)

I don’t really do all rounder tyres, I use minions*, advantage, mich AT/dry2, nevegals, panaracer rampage and bonty mudX.

*minion st 2.35 without doubt the best tyre I’ve ever used, works on everything bit too draggy to label it an allrounder tho.

momo

buzz-lightyear – Member

Original Conti MKs (OEM)

This, they were the worst tyres I’ve ever tried.

I quite like the fires as an allrounder, they weren’t the best for outright grip, but they slid in a nice predictable manner, were reasonably light and worked okay in the wet, only getting caught out in proper gloop.

If it weren’t for the sidewalls being made of a soft brie, the nobby nic would be a worthy succesor, unfortunately however, the sidewalls are made of soft brie and have an approximate lifespan of 5 minutes! I ripped one apart going round cannock chase of all places!!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Fires seem to be – Not too draggy, not too heavy, not too expensive, reasonably grippy in all conditions. I appreciate that there are more grippy, more sturdy, better clearing tyes etc but I just want a set of tyres for my bike to leave on pretty much all year. So does anyone know the cheapest place for the pro versions, please?

dawson

I think Wiggle or CRC had yellow banded ones for £12 last night (on my phone ay the mo, can’t remember which it was)

atlaz
    Free Member

I got my last pair from Halfords.

nickc

I remember a comment years ago that suggested that Conti ” vapours” and the other tyres in that series were developed because one of the larger bike manufacturers wanted a new tyre to go with their new frame/bike range

Now, they were the tyres with the least grip in the world…. Genuinely scarey

zippykona

The only tyres I have broken a bone with.

Twin
    Free Member

What about these as an alternative?: Hans Dampfs

nickswolves
    Free Member

Fire XC Pro’s are still a decent all round use tyre – they’re just not as ‘fashionable’ as some of the others

peli

Ribble cycles have got them at a good price.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I remember when they were the best tyres in (my) world. Then I tried so.thing else and all became much clearer. Have a look at maxxis.

jokerdave
    Free Member

Pair of folding kevlar ones on Merlin for less than £40 seem a lot better than the wire bead ones. Thing to look for is made in japan. I like them.

jambon
    Free Member

They are terrible. Awful rubbish. Sorry but they are. The Maxxis equvalent will beat it hands down. Try Ignitor for an all rounder.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Sorry jambon but that’s b*****ks – for the money as an all rounder they are still decent 🙂 Yes there’s better tyres out there but most are more expensive. Specialized tyres are good for the money too = purgatory controls etc.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Best place for Fire XC pros’ is closed to new replies.