• This topic has 29 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Best packable pump?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Having just managed to shear the end off my tubeless valve 5 miles from home I think it’s time for a new pump, I want one with a hose so I have less chance of this happening again, also high volume to have a chance to seat a tubleless tyre would be great. I have just read STW review on such things & they recommend the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HP Pump, can I do better? I’m not worried about the price just functionality & weight.

Cheers.

dawson

Topeak mountain morph has a t-handle,fold out foot and hose

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mountain morph for the bigger bag, micro drive for the race bag.
    Co2 for the rest

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks guys, have either of you tried both the Lezyne & the Topeak?

Cheers.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I’ve had a Topeak Pocket Rocket for years. I keep on seeing other people with them. I think they just last and last. Better than the Giant and Lezyne Micro i also have.

I’d by another if it ever wears out!

Klunk
    Free Member

mountain morph, thought the foot thing will snap off but it doesn’t add much to an otherwize faultless pump.

dovebiker

I have both Mountain Morph and Lezyne Micro HV – the Lezyne shades it for durability and the MM hose is too short

takisawa2

Lezyne Alloy Drive.
    Last pump you’ll buy.

BadlyWiredDog

If you’re running tubeless with removable valve cores – or tubes with removable – and they’re not nipped up nice and tight, the Lezyne pumps have a tendency to unscrew them even with the little release valve button thing. It’s slightly irksome after you’ve just spent five minutes pumping a tyre up. Other than that, they’re great. The Mountain Morph is relatively heavy and, as above, the hose is just a tad short. I mostly use the Lezyne tbh, but also now carry a basic valve core remover tool…

benp1

Stop taking my mountain morph once I went tubeless, bought a Lezyne alloy drive

Both excellent, Lezyne much smaller though!

mildbore

I’ve used both and prefer the Topeak, it is larger so less packable but pumps a greater volume of air. Main reason I prefer it is I find the Lezyne less durable, it feels a bit sticky after being in my bag for a while and needs regular lubing to keep it smooth. Could just be my damp pack though

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Pocket Rocket with the retractable hose!

stevious

I also found valves unscrewing sometimes with the lezyne pumps. Not a problem with the topeak.

(I know I could be more careful about tightening the valve cores but I’m not and I left my Lezyne pump behind by mistake when I moved).

gravity-slave
    Free Member

As above, after a few unscrewing sessions and lots of swearing you have 3 choices
    – loctite valve cores
    – carry a valve core tool
    – buy something that doesn’t screw on
    Last time this was raised I was told ‘you are doing it wrong’, I suspect designing a thread that relies on greater friction than the other thread to function is actually doing it wrong…

I have bought another Mountain Morph (great) and dumped my Lezyne Alloy Drive.

The birzman adaptor is great, I have a brilliant tiny roadie pump with their click on system so would look at an apogee pump too.

And CO2 (push on) for when it’s cold, dark, raining, midgy or combination of the above! With a spare micro pump of course.

MoreCashThanDash

Changed last year from a Mountain Morph to the Lezyne. The Topoeak had lasted years but I love the feel of Lezyne kit….

PePPeR

I’ve run a road morph for 10 years, brilliant pumps and everyone wants to use it when we puncture, I prefer the road morph to the mountain one as I run both types of tyres.

benp1

I have a road morph too, on one of my bikes

Northwind

I had a lezyne alloy drive, it was pretty poor. Lovely looking, very nicely made, just didn’t shift enough air and the chuck was shit. Lezyne are great at making pretty stuff that doesn’t really work quite right.

Mountain Morph is decent but ime they always fall apart.

So I’ll recommend something else, the Truflo Minitrack. It’s not quite as good as their old Evolution which was just awesome, but it’s still very good. Telescopic so shifts a ton of air- like, twice as much per stroke as an alloy drive I’d guess. Has a screw on chuck, but, it actually works (it can unscrew a loose valve; it doesn’t unscrew a finger-tight valve).

Junkyard
    Free Member

THe lezyne also comes with a black plastic 90 degree thingy that screws on the pump hose and pushes onto Presta valves

Less than fiver to get seprate iirc
    As for the unscrewing valves i read that on here and thought user error though it happened to me recently on the CX bike – first time and i have used them for about 15 years ish. NOn tubeless FWIW

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Own both pumps, use both when I really have to and they are both good.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks guys, some very useful info, I went with Northwind’s recommendation in the end.

Cheers.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I have just recently got the Truflo, it’s a well thought out pump.

BadlyWiredDog

THe lezyne also comes with a black plastic 90 degree thingy that screws on the pump hose and pushes onto Presta valves

Cheers for that, £2.99 with free postage from Tredz Bikes, got to be worth slinging in the pack along with the pump.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Quick update, I had to use the Truflo yesterday, great bit of kit.

Cheers.

Kamakazie

I really like my Lezyne pump but it really doesn’t like Stans valves. Constantly un-screwing the cores and barely making a seal.

I was going to buy a new pump but I’ll look into that push adaptor instead.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Mines f**ked. I need to buy a new one.

Or maybe i’ll just use CO2

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Mountain Morph for the Fatty. Lezyne Alloy Drive for Jekyll and Trigger.

jonnym92

I have the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive and it is very very good. Great bit of kit. Though the size of it means it takes up a fair chunk of your pack, but I think it’s worth it with how reliable it has been. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase any more Lezyne stuff to be honest, everything I’ve had has been great.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a lezyne micro drive HV.

Wouldn’t buy it again TBH.

1) Valve attachment threads on, a PITA when cold/wet compared to a simple lever, and I’ll never use it enough to wear out the rubber seal in a lever head.
    2) Handle is way too small to be able to pump up a decent sized tyre to a decent pressure without your palm aching.

The hose could probably be solved with a head from another pump. And the handle could be replaced with a bigger bit of wood or similar. But considering lezyne’s supposed reputation for things being functionally perfect it’s the 3rd product I’ve had from them which has been really quite poor (a backpack which was just unstable because the tool pouch was right at the top/back), and a previous pump which simply didn’t deliver anywhere near enough air per stroke despite being quite a bit longer than my old blackburn pump.

benp1

My tubeless set up had a slow leak yesterday so I had to pump up the tyres quite a few times, though it fixed itself eventually, and my mate flatted too (without a pump). My little Lezyne Alloy Drive did a sterling job, most use it’s ever had in one ride in fact!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Best packable pump?’ is closed to new replies.