• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by poah.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best non-carbon trail/enduro wheels?
  • dirkpitt74

Not in the market at the moment, but what are the better non carbon wheels out there?

Thinking along the lines of strength/durability, weight etc.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Dt Swiss EX/XM1501 if you want something off the shelf.

Custom, maybe still DT240 based, with a XM481 or similar.

Both better than anything carbon IME (in terms of ride quality & durability).

hatter

What Hob Nob said, although the complete 1501’s will be slightly lighter than handbuilts as they use a lighter hub shell.

Akers

Dt Swiss EX/XM1501 if you want something off the shelf.

Custom, maybe still DT240 based, with a XM481 or similar.

Both better than anything carbon IME (in terms of ride quality & durability).

I thought the DT Swiss Spline One XM1501 30mm was a 240 laced with a XM481, non?

Either way the DT’s are a top choice, light as you’ll get without going carbon. They are what I chose when I was after a wheel upgrade. 8)

Go for the EX1501’s if you want the burlier/enduro option.

momo

I thought the DT Swiss Spline One XM1501 30mm was a 240 laced with a XM481, non?

Kind of, same internals but in a lighter hub shell

hatter

It’s a subtle difference but it does mean that you’ll never be able to get equivalent handbuilts down to quite the same weight as factory Spline 1’s.

Not without using super light wangy spokes anyway.

The completes also come with 6-bolt adaptors, tubeless tape, valves and both XD and Shimano Freehubs included.

Depends on how wedded you are to 6-bolt hubs and J-bends really, at least you have the choice this way.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Ive been looking at the Dt Swiss EX/XM1501 wheel sets and some places are listing both 2016 and 2017 versions but I’m not seeing a lot of differences in the different year models? Can anyone help me out!? Is it just graphics/decals/stickers?

hatter

The 2016 versions used a 2-piece hub and were non-BOOST and 6 bolt only, they were also only available in one width per intended use. (20 mm internal for XC, 22,5 for Trail, 25 mm for Enduro.)

The new ones use a lighter hub, come in centre-lock with adapters included and are available in BOOST and with a much wider range of width options.

That’s basically it.

Mintman
    Free Member

The Mavic XA elite Wheelset for £392 seems to be quoting low weights – they don’t seem to attract many fans though..?

poah
    Free Member

spank oozy trail bead wheels have done me great for 2 years. Come in a range of widths too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best non-carbon trail/enduro wheels?’ is closed to new replies.