Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best narrow wide rings
  • snap
    Free Member

Hi ..who makes the best most reliable narrow wide chainrings
    thanks

Northwind

I’ve only used Superstar, Works and Absoluteblack and of those 3 it’s definitely Works- they work better and they last longer. Absoluteblack are the nicest looking but the retention’s not quite as good. Superstar actually retain well but wear much faster.

TBH they’ve all been perfectly decent, the amount of chain drops is still low.

singlespeedstu

The Works one I had was the noisyest chainring I’ve ever used.
    It was so bad that the first time I used it when it was muddy that I got off my bike and pushed it as I thought the rear hub/freewheel bearings were collapsing.
    Replaced it with a Superstar and it was quite as can be.
    Also got a couple of AB’s which have been fine.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Probably not much in it. They’re all basically the same design. Just down to the materials and machining. A softer material may wear down a bit quicker though.

Been using Works Components for ages and does a great job. Got a SRAM own and seems fine too. Plenty of others I know have original brand or Works, Superstar, Raceface, Wolf, amongst others. Not heard of any particular issues.

I notice SRAM have a steel NW chainring now, and very cheap too. In theory lasts longer, but obviously heavier.

windyg
    Free Member

I have tried Raceface, Works, Superstar and AB

The Works one has been the best for wear and the superstar was the worst for wear including increased chain wear.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Superstar are selling off their current n/w rings with a promo code for £15 each, “CRING15FP”

Has anyone used the SS chainring with an 8-speed setup, by any chance?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve found superstar work really well and last well too.

Uberbike is the only other brand I have tried, wore too quickly.

whitestone
    Free Member

Have used RaceFace, Hope and Absolute Black. All work, longevity is much of a muchness in that I couldn’t say with certainty any of them was better or worse than the others.

ads678

I’ve got Hope and Raceface on my bikes and Superstar on my sons bike. Hope and RF are wearing well, SS has not been on that long, but they all seem to work well. I’d buy any of them again.

cx_monkey

Blackspire Snaggletooth are worth a look and are often a good price on CRC. I’ve noticed the Superstar wear thing too – other than that the Blackspire and Race Face ones I have seem to wear and retain about as well as each other – which is to say that both are doing both things well!

cp

I’ve got a Hope retainer and 2x Superstar…. no noticeable difference in the real world.

SS hard to look past at 15 quid each at the mo.

colournoise

Have used Superstar and Works. SS look nicer, but I think (although it’s marginal) Works last better.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

RF and HOPE both did very well.

The Race Face broke after many many miles still looking in good nick. It broke when I hit a rock and would in no way blame them. I’d’ve bought the same again if the HOPE hadn’t been in an STW ad.

milky1980
    Free Member

Had a RaceFace, Hope, Superstar and Uberbike rings and they’ve all been worn down enough after one chain wore out that it wasn’t worth getting a second chain for them. Noe were worn out completely but over half worn. The Hope one lasted the best whereas the Superstar one was very worn. I just replace them when I change the chain so just go for the cheapest one at the time.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Raceface, Hope and Blackspire Snaggletooth are my favorites. The last one I bought was the snaggletooth which seems to of altered the chain line on my 1×11 enough that it has quietened down the noise in the lowest gear and means the chain doesn’t drop down the block when back pedalling.
    Worst by far is the superstar I stupidly bought. The threads were rubbish and the machining is rough and had a load of unfinished edges on the teeth that were probably as sharp as stanley blades.

Mackem

I’ve used WolfTooth, SuperStar, hope and RaceFace. All done the job, the RaceFace one looked the nicest.

lucky7500

I’ve got RaceFace on two bikes. I can’t remember the last time I had a dropped chain and both seem to be lasting well. Haven’t tried any others though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Best narrow wide rings’ is closed to new replies.