Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Best mudguards for my newly acquired cdf
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

I have picked up a 2014 cdf but it had no mudguards, what are the best mudguards for me to get? Not sure about width etc.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s probably got 35mm tyres, which are about as big as will fit with guards
    You’ll need a 45mm mudguard to fit it.
    Go for SKS. if it’s one of the more matt finished frames they make a matt black chromoplastic which matches nicely or my new favourite, the hard to find ‘single u stay’ which looks a bit more minimalist as it only has one stay per guard, which is black. They are also very solid when fitted.
    If you want some tips on fitting, shoot me an email, I’ve done loads of them including my own CdF and new Tour de Fer

EDIT
    Just seen its a 2014 model. if I recall correctly they’re a bit tighter on clearance of guards, so go carefully.

bitasuite
    Free Member

I got the PDW ones. Expensive but I’m glad I did, they’re excellent and look great too. Charlie the Bikemonger had them on offer last year. I had to cut a bit out for the front derailleur but it’s not a problem.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

£75 on mudguards? Are you insane? I didn’t know it was possible to waste spend that much money on mudguards! 😉

fudge9202
    Free Member

Would I be better with 40mm?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

This is how mudguards should look. They perfectly follow the line of the tyre without leaving a gap you can see through. It’s one of those jobs that gets easier the more you do it and can be done neatly with some thought and planning. Not all the parts you need are always included in the pack, such as spacers to clear disc brakes. Sometimes careful bending of the stays is necessary, but you MUST bend each side identically or it looks terrible.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Fp58KM]IMG_5737[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

Both mine are wearing SKS P45s.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pQ7vjD]Untitled[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

This spacer was made from a piece of alloy tubing that came in place of the saddle rails on a new seatpost. It’s also possible to use road calliper brake bolts or old style seat bolts as spacers.
    All the fittings in this pic including the small adjuster screw in the stay there have been replaced with stainless items.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/F5KLK5]Tour de Fer[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

brooess
    Free Member

SKS Chromoplastics for the win

fudge9202
    Free Member

Cheers Peter now know what’s expected!
    Bikes look ace by the way.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I use the Whyte mudguards on my Whyte Saxon, the frame wasn’t designed to take mudguards so I had to bodge a couple of brackets on the back but the guards are really sturdy, no rattles, even on the roughest offroad.[/url]2016_04_10 932 DSCN0921 by Dibbs57, on Flickr[/img]

fudge9202
    Free Member

Right, just ordered SKS chromoplastic ones, so now just need advice on tyres and a possible change to Salsa Cowbell bars!

failedengineer

SKS Chromoplastics on mine, in silver. I just bent the stays to clear the disc calipers, 10 minute bodgejob.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive just moved from Chromoplasts to PDWs on my rove.

mainly because they dont move at all and im runnin a 40c tyre…..

they fitted into a chromoplatic but the guard can move as its fixed like jello and the stay caught on the knobbles.

The PDWS i can tell you dont move.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Any tips on tyres or a other mods I need to do

Gary_M
    Free Member

I recently switched from sks chromoplastic or longboards to pdw guards. Got them from Triton Cycles for £40. The only rattle I’ve had from them was from the rear seatstay bridge fixing but I slotted a tap washer between the metal bracket and guard and they’ve been solid since.

I had them on another bike so bought the gun metal ones, the black ones would look much better on the new bike but I can’t justify replacing them and it doesn’t look like they’ll ever fall apart.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Any recommendations for tyres for my cdf, it came with continental cyclocross tyres but 90% of my riding will be road, would be after a tyre that is also good in the wet but not too heavy

bitasuite
    Free Member

£75 on mudguards? Are you insane?

They’re often available for around half that. I have needed to remove and reinstall them a lot and they’re totally solid still. And the request was for the best mudguards, not the cheapest!

For tyres, it depends what you want to do. I’ve got some 28mm GP4000s ii for road, and 35mm Vittoria Voyager Hyper for commuting. Plus some 40mm Clement X’Plor MSO for gravel! Oh and some Schwalbe cx pro for cross races!!

swanny853

This is how mudguards should look. They perfectly follow the line of the tyre without leaving a gap you can see through

Just debating going to take a picture of my commuter which had the mudguards fitted in a hurry a couple of months back- there’s space for another set, maybe two between them and the tyre! I should probably get round to sorting that at some point

trail_rat
    Free Member

Some bikes need a gap at the rear to get the wheel out …..removing the mudguard to get the wheel out is amatuer

On most bikes peters pics are how it should be though an is the mark of a professionally fitted guard

qwerty
    Free Member

Mr Poddy – see Swarfs carbon delights @ £120 !!!

fudge9202
    Free Member

@PeterPoddy, SKS mudguards arrived today ,very nice indeed. Have fitted the rear perfectly (no light shining between tyre and mudguard!)
    As you predicted need a longer bolt for the front to clear the brake caliper. So off to hardware shop tomorrow.
    All in all very pleased with them and when fitted no tyre rub!

Will be changing tyres to Schwalbe Marathon Supremes.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Best mudguards for my newly acquired cdf’ is closed to new replies.