Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Best mudguard for 29er
  • rosario144
    Free Member

Any advice for a good mudguard for a Giant trance 29er, please.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I like the SKS shockboard up front. Better than the Crud Catcher due to the front part and the fact it moves with the steering. Crud Catcher do a rear seat post mounted guard that works with non-dropper posts, but so far i’ve found nothing that works well with a FS 29er with a dropper post. Zefal do a No Mud guard that looks like it’s just the ticket, but its not available in 29er version yet.

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1174588/products/sks-shock-blade-700c-and-29er-front-mudguard-black—grey.aspx

BigJohn

I’ve just spotted that Crud are doing 29er specific guard

wobbliscott
    Free Member

A mate of mine has a similar guard to the Dashblade. It’s SKS but the guard itself is a slightly different shape. The attaching mechanism means its quick and easy to remove and install, but he struggles to get it tight enough to stop it swingling side to side, especially when it gets wet. So it’s probably fine for smooth single track or smooth XC, but if you’re going over rock gardens, or anything particularly bumpy it might swing around at bit. By contrast my rear Crud Catcher 29 attaches via a 5mm allen bolt so is not as quickly installed or removed, but you can crank it up so its tight enough to stay in place. But again, if you’ve got a dropper post you have to mount it low down which is a problem for a full suss bike.

flybywire
    Free Member

thanks for the advisory.. could use grippy tape around post or seattube on frame would provide a non-metalic surface to bind to preventing slipping.Should work.
    What about the profile of the dashblade is it sufficient for larger wheels?

z1ppy

Wobbliscott might be a SKS X-blade (29er), I have one for the back, but mines been rock solid no matter the conditions. Mine is positioned horizontally, so that might help the support though. I’ve had it since the beginning of the year, when there wasn’t any other choice (i could find).

I use a muck nuts fender on the fork and crud guard under the down tube to cover the front end. Now that SKS do a 29er shockblade, that is a decent alternative that will have more coverage

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My comments were really in regard to the way it attaches to the seat post and the experiences my mate has had. His was a 26″ shockboard. Its not a major issue, he just re-aligns it every now and again, and it could be due to the fact he’s using it with a 27mm seatpost – maybe with a 31mm seatpost you can get it tighter and the larger surface area and friction would be much better.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve just put on my front fender from Speed Stuff that was previously for my old 26er SS but thankfully fits the new 29er. The look is a bit marmite for some (I personally don’t have a problem with the aesthetics) but in terms of mud protection they are unbeatable. And and SKS at the rear when it gets proper mucky.

z1ppy

Bugger, just browsed to the Topeak site and realised mine is actually a Topeak defender XC-11 (29er) not the SKS one…Opps! Looks vaguely similar 😳 , and I tend to use/like SKS more than topeak but this was all I could get at the time
    Like the SKS it’s QR, but a really good clamp, I found the SKS material strap to be difficult to get tight (26er versions)

RoterStern
    Free Member

My comments were really in regard to the way it attaches to the seat post

For the rear the SKS have an elasticated band that is adjustable for all seatpost sizes. I would also put some tape on the seat tube if you don’t want the rear fender scratching your paintwork on it.

rosario144
    Free Member

Thanks Guys,
    Just ordered the sks up front.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Best mudguard for 29er’ is closed to new replies.