• This topic has 25 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • "Best" MTB Waterproof jacket?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Seen a few threads looking for PSA/bargain waterproof jackets but wondering what folk have tried and found to be the “best” regardless of price?

I’ve been using a Norrona Falketind for a good few years but it’s just about done so I’m looking for another replacement that’ll hopefully last as long!

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I tried several. Budget of 200. Ended up with a maddison addict. Its a fantastic thing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My old Gore alp-x softshell. Not actually full on waterproof per se, but the most versatile cold weather jacket ever, god rest it’s soul.

Rode in all conditions in it, it just works.

poah
    Free Member

My enduro mt500 II jacket is superb in Scottish weather.

iainc

^^^^ +1 on the Endura MT500

It is more of an all day jacket that I most often use when it’s foul from the outset, as it’s quite bulky in a backpack. I also have an Endura MTR shell for the unexpected wet weather – stripped back, light, packs very small, breathes well and very waterproof.

jimmy

My all-time favourite was a Gill jacket. Absolutely no bells and whistles – a plain, un-pocketed eVent thing. Had it for years, lost it. Tried an endura jacket which felt really bulky. Found the Gill again (stuffed at the bottom of my bag so it looked like part of it) used it for longer til the zip went. Had the zip fixed but it’s no longer waterproof. I can’t bring myself to actually part with it now after about 14 years.

EDIT: doesn’t answer the question. Just bought a plain Gore jacket which I’m liking the look of. Not used in anger but having a well fitted jacket makes a big difference.

daern
    Free Member

Gore Alp-X Shell here, but most of the time I use an Endura Stealth II waterproof softshell thing, which is good for 95% of cool-weather rides and is the best jacket I’ve ever owned.

turboferret

I have a Gore Fusion 2 which had an RRP of £320 at the time, but managed to get about half price. Even at full retail I’d be happy with it, 6 years later it looks as good as new and still performs excellently.

Cheers, Rich

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

They are all crap boil in the bag things. you’re kidding yourself if you think they work … 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They are all crap boil in the bag things. you’re kidding yourself if you think they work …

Hence why I loved the gore softshell.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

correct!

to clarify, I find that in truly biblical conditions all jackets ‘wet out’ eventually, in anything less I just sweat balls in waterproofs and get wet from the inside. Hence softshells are the best, but it’s personal of course

Davesport

Plus 1 for the Endura MT500. Mine’s been great, reproofed twice now and no signs of it falling apart yet. I use mine off the bike as well. Black’s not my favourite colour but its functional. Kids bought me a Paramo Velez lightweight smock. I’m going to try this out over the winter when it cools down a bit 🙂

charliemort

I like my Sweet Protection Delirious jacket – very good in recent warm but soaking welsh week end. Pretty dry, not sweaty, not too hot

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member 
    My old Gore alp-x softshell. Not actually full on waterproof per se, but the most versatile cold weather jacket ever, god rest it’s soul.
    Rode in all conditions in it, it just works

this is my favourite jacket bar non, black alp x with zip off arms (which I don’t use but when I’m hot I unzip and it lets loads of cool air through)

its by far the most fitting versatile jacket ive had, even when wet it still stays warm

its now in its 7th year (bought new 2011 according to emails), I still use it as my go to jacket for 9 out of 10 winter rides (as long as its not forecast rain all day long)….its pretty beat up now, the silicone grips on the waist as flappy, the zips pretty buggered and its got loads of pulls in it, but its a mint jacket, so fitting, wear it with a short sleeve baselayer and its amazing even in the depths of winter if its dry

that said Ive just got a mt500 new one for the birthday, and it feels very well made, but as said above its the sort of jacket youd want on a really foul day from start to finish

I don’t think they do the alp x softshell anymore, I keep an eye out for a bargain replacement but cant seem to figure out what the newest version of it is

iainc

The Endura Windchill is not dissimilar to the alp x soft shell IMO. I wear it a lot on cold dryish rides.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

Gore One Pro jacket (mtb specific). The price is eye watering, but I can attest to the fact it’s the best jacket I’ve ever used. It also fits a burly chap properly, unlike gores previous offerings where you need arms like a twiglet to get it on.

Review: Gore One GTX Pro Jacket

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’ve got the MT500 mk1..still going strong ..love the look of the Mk2 ..which looks to be of a lighter construction ..my mate loves his expect £180.00 though with a bit of discount .
    I have a very lightweight Gortex Sprayway which preceeds the MT500..which is still my go to in anything other than biblical weather ..

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

iainc – Member 
    The Endura Windchill is not dissimilar to the alp x soft shell IMO. I wear it a lot on cold dryish rides.

will have a look at that, I love the fit of gore stuff, seems to work on my gangly slim body 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

don’t think they do the alp x softshell anymore, I keep an eye out for a bargain replacement but cant seem to figure out what the newest version of it is

Aye, been trying to work that out myself!. My experience of endura quality precludes me from dropping that kind of money on any of their kit.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive taken a punt on a half price windchill from endura, if its no good ill take it back…it looks similar to the gore, so if the fits ok ill be happy with it for 40 quid instead of 90

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

Just started using a Paramo Ciclo in the pouring rain over the last 2 days. It’s superb but has to be thought of as a jacket+fleece so a single layer underneath works well at the moment.
    I finished both rides (plenty of very sweaty bits and lots of driving rain) with my baselayer a bit damp on the outside but my body was dry. I think there were times when the baselayer was wet but things seemed to dry out well when my effort dropped to “sweating a bit” rather than “leaking”.
    I wouldn’t normally go out when it’s that bad but I wanted to give the jacket a decent test.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

took a punt on that endura windchill ianc / nobeerinthefridge

must admit its pretty bloody nice and a very very similar fit to the gore (no flapping at all!), seems pretty waterproof/repellent under the tap and well made

its not quite the quality of the alp x, but it is very similar in that you can unzip the pits to let air in and seems like its windproof the same…

for 40 quid it seems a bit of a steal!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Where is the Endura at for £40, my Google skills have deserted me….

Gary_M
    Free Member

Best jacket I have is the Rapha Hardshell, I’ve ridden in some seriously foul weather and it’s never let a drop of rain through. Not technically and MTB jacket but can’t see any reason not to use it as one.

Also had a gore fusion but the zip failed and it had seen better days by then.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

size small at evans online,

https://www.evanscycles.com/endura-windchill-ii-jacket-EV184258

45 quid now, I got it at 40…size small fits me brilliantly 🙂

iainc

Well played 😀

Excellent jacket IMO

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘"Best" MTB Waterproof jacket?’ is closed to new replies.