Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Best MTB shoes for a woman not using clipless yet?
  • geordiepaul
    Free Member

Getting the g/f some bike shoes for her b/day however she's no where near cleats yet and is just using the flat pedals that came with the bike.

What are the best shoes to get? Need some that look lady like otherwise she won't wear them. The walking shoe type one always look chunky and naff and I'm not sure normal cycling shoes should be worn when using flat pedals?!

Advice appreciated?

rootes1

Specialized D4W SPD shoes (as other makes can), can be used with flats, then if she wants to try spd, you can just pull the rubber cover off..

shimano:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47516

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46686

or perhaps some VANs?

to be fair most cycling shoes look naff 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

You can wear Spesh Tahos (my wife has them) without cleats then if she gets more confident, stick cleats on.

Look decent, can be walked in yet comfy and stiff enough for useful MTBing efficiency.

Highly recommended.

akira

Nike 6.0 ladies ones, look like trainers but stiffer sole and grippy.
    Here and here for example.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Firstly why do you say yet? Clips and flats are different things, you don't move up to clipless pedals only across.

Secondly, change the pedals for something less – well sh1te really. The std flats that come with bikes offer limited grip but will still remove skin quite nicely.

Ok, shoes … 5:10s are about the grippiest shoes you can use with flats but they may not be to her taste (even the womens version) so I'd suggest some type of skate shoe, eg Vans. You're after something with a flat sole, that's why walking type shoes aren't always the best. Don't use a clipless shoe unless you don't like her much 😉

Sorry if it sounds a bit like a rant, it's not meant to but I come across the situation a lot.

GaryLake
    Free Member

My wife likes her Shimano AM40s… but they cannot be converted later.

MrsMoo
    Free Member

I'd go for Vans. I've got 5:10's and Vans, the 5:10's are very good but Vans are pretty grippy too and they make them in lots of pretty colours 😆

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Ok, across to clipless pedals. Not sure she ever will, but it would be nice to have the option without having shell out on new shoes.

I'd looked at the specialized tahos, but something like this looks much more feminine

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47516

not sure you could get away with flats for that though.

The pedals that came with the bike a grippy as hell, she keeps complaining about not being able to move her foot when it's on the pedal!

ART

Er not those shoes which are racy SPDtastic, and might look lovely but will be rubbish on flat pedals. See above for sensible flat shoe recommendations. Learning on flats will stand her in good stead, should she decide to clip in at a later date then you can buy some appropriate shoes then. Either way as nice as it is that you are looking 😉 she needs to be look and try some stuff on that she will be comfortable with.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Cool, I'll get her an empty box 🙂

Whatever I get can be taken back, refunded and exchanged for handbags and shoes.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Any proper SPD shoe like that WM61 is lethal on flat pedals.

sputnik
    Free Member

Spesh Sonamas. My wife wont ever ride clipped in so not bothered with removing the rubber bit for cleats. They look nice on a lady and have stiff enough soles to pedal and walking in them is fine. Dont get her Vans unless she wants to look loke a sk8ter girl, and she will look ridiculous in 5tens

sputnik
    Free Member

Spesh Sonama

blades2000
    Free Member

My fiancée has a pair of these although she is now riding clipped.

Pearl Izumi

We got them in the States not sure where stocks them in the UK.

Edit, the main reason she likes these is because they have purple on them, she does say they are comfortable and good if walking off the bike.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Those Spesh Sonama have no grips on em…..no good in this country given it rains 99% of the time. Plus they have no pink or blue!

I'm liking the spesh tahoe at the minute.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Best MTB shoes for a woman not using clipless yet?’ is closed to new replies.