Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Best mobile for data in Germany?
  • iolo
    Free Member

I will be a lot in Germany over this year and will need quite a bit of data so probably best to get a pay as you go German sim. My current provider gives me 3 Gb data abroad monthly which will not be enough.
    Any recommendations?

onandon
    Free Member

Three.

stumpy01

I think Three lets you use your UK data allowance in Germany for no extra charge.

seosamh77
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member
    I think Three lets you use your UK data allowance in Germany for no extra charge.

that’s just EU rules now. My giffgaff goodiebags worked in Spain this year so phone never cost me a penny extra, which was quite good, normally spend 20/30/40 quid when I’m away.

mkidley
    Free Member

Do not touch Three with a barge pole.

They restrict you to 3G and stuff like YouTube, Spotify and Apple Music are throttled to the point that they’re useless. Oh and you can’t tether.

I switched to Vodafone, proper 4G just like at home. Got a decent 12GB SIM only which I’ve hammered abroad with tethering to the MacBook.

cp

Any mobile provider now has to let you use your UK allowance or charge you the same for PAYG wherever you are in Europe. This does not apply to calls/texts TO EU countries, even if you’re in them, but does apply to data and texts/calls to UK mobiles and landlines.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Ah, interesting, cp, never knew that.

alpin
    Free Member

You want a German pay-as-you-go?

Have a look at Aldi Talk. Various different tariffs that you can switch or cancel after each month. Or just data packages (use this for the tablet).

Can use 3g or LTE when outside of De, too… (currently in Italy and can surf without issue).

bruneep

never had that issue before is that new?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

They restrict you to 3G and stuff like YouTube, Spotify and Apple Music are throttled to the point that they’re useless. Oh and you can’t tether.

No they don’t.

Well, they didn’t when we went to Greece last year…

ta11pau1

Same, on Three last summer at the top of several mountains in Italy/Switzerland/Austria and 4g signal when it was available.

Can’t beat getting a 4g connection at 8000ft in the middle of the Austrian Alps. :mrgreen:

Now that EU roaming is standard Three are offering the feel at home data across many more countries so it’s still one of the best deals for travellers.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Best mobile for data in Germany?’ is closed to new replies.