Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best mid-ride eating option for 24hr events
  • Kryton57

I’m planning not to stop as much this year, and don’t particularly want to wait too long for my food to heat up either.

What are my options cooked or not cooked food-wise for a substantial meal (not mid ride snacks) from a food & equipment perspective – without team support?

benji
    Free Member

Chicken and mushroom pies eaten cold and Genoa cake, I find I can’t eat hot food whilst riding.

lunge

I like a mix of savoury and sweet and ideally a few different textures too. I generally don’t stop for more than 15 mins so eat cold, a good few of these could be warmed I suppose. The last 24 hour ride I did (it was on the road but the principle is the same) what worked for me was:
    Cold pasta with some chicken in a tomato and chilli sauce. Good carbs, a bit of protein and the chilli was a lovely distraction from the sweet gels I’d been gobbling.
    Malt Loaf. A staple and no explanation needed.
    Pork pies. I had these at my last stop, 3 hours from the end, they were amazing, I ate too many, I don’t regret this for 1 moment.
    Crisps. Crap choice nutritionally but the crunch was a nice change.
    Cold bacon sarny. A bit of a moral booster at 5am, if you use lean bacon and wholemeal bread it’s not too made for you either.
    Banana’s. I ate loads of them but they give you a good kick of energy without the stickiness of a gel.
    Gels. I used them sparingly but they did help. A caffeinated one when on a low moment does a right job.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Last year at mayhem I ate loads of honey roasted & sea salted cashew & peanuts, malt loaf, bananas, ready salted crisps and gels washed down with flat coke, red bull and high5 carb drink

Kryton57

Some good suggestions there, thanks. Save’s me looking at camping stoves also…

joespencer33
    Free Member

My mayhem was fueled mainly on Mars bars last year with a bit of cold pasta and some Gels in the last few hours.
    Usually washed down with half and half orange squash with a teaspoon of salt!

ollybus
    Free Member

Long been a fan of the pork pie as a mid ride snack of choice…mmm

nedrapier

rice pudding or risotto, depending on your sweet/savoury preference. Both good cold, as long as they were good hot!

localhero94
    Free Member

Whatever is available in the hospital vending machine 😳

hels
    Free Member

Greggs sausage rolls fit nicely in the back pocket of a cycling top, I find.

IME take loads and loads of different things, you don’t know what you will feel like eating, and eating tons and tons is critical to surviving.

Eat normal food too not just “race food”. It isn’t like you will be in Zone 7 all the way around, so don’t have to worry too much about stomach upsets, all that carb drink stuff just torpedos through you.

You can deal with the spotty face the week after !

mikertroid
    Free Member

Cornish pasties normally hit the spot. Last year my supply of Cornish pasties lay untouched; last thing I fancied at 3am!

Will go for lighter food this year!

pictonroad

Pretzels and scotch eggs do for me.

Kryton57

IME take loads and loads of different things, you don’t know what you will feel like eating, and eating tons and tons is critical to surviving.

This is what I do, although in the past I’ve stopped for dinner & breakfast, and I do love a coffee.

The latter I can make a flask up for, but is seems I need to ditch the luxury of hot food in favor of a couple of extra laps.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I take disposable foil trays of different sorts of pasta with different sauces with different meat/proteiny things in them. You do have to force yourself to eat some of it sometimes, and a few bags of haribo/ham sandwiches/flapjack/brownies/bananas etc are added into this for variety.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best mid-ride eating option for 24hr events’ is closed to new replies.