Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Best Lakes routes for this weekend
  • swisstony
    Free Member

Off to the Lakes for a 2 dayer next w/e but don’t know where to ride

Whats the best classic must do Lakes routes??

We’ll be arriving earlyish saturday, a full days riding, camping then a good day sunday too.

cheers

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

High Street

Tour of Coniston

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks, i’ll look at those

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We’re most likely going up Hevellyn on Satuday, if the weather holds out a bit….

🙂

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I wouldnt recommend High Street at this time of year. The weather is too unpredictable and unless there is a severe frost or mega drought the going is less than favourable on the tops imo. The fabled descent from the top doesnt exist. Its still bloody hardwork even in the summer unless it hasnt rained for weeks because its so boggy/peaty. That said, if you catch it right its a great route.

If it were me i would consider Grizedale, Garburn/ambleside/Jenkins Cragg or maybe even Walnar Scar. All would guarentee riding regardless of the weather atm.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

We’re most likely going up Hevellyn on Satuday, if the weather holds out a bit….[:)]

yes, I’d avoid it unless you can be reasonably sure it’ll stay clear (can you ever ?) as it’s so frustrating not to be able to see the view and if it’s cloudy it’ll probably be very nasty 🙁

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The fabled descent from the top doesnt exist.

just cos’ you ent found it 🙂
    Yes it can get very squelchy up there, but I find that quite good fun!

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I like to squelch with the best of em 😉

swisstony
    Free Member

ta, the only ride (carry!) ive done in the Lakes was Hevellyn so i don’t think we’ll be doing that again

these look good on the route guides, anyone know the very hard one?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/north-west/the-south-lake-district/

anc
    Free Member

Very good route but we forget the descent into haweswater and head(cheaky) onto Harter Fell, it avoids the horrible carry up Nan Bield. Its Cracking descent off the top of Harter v technical.

Richyb
    Free Member

We did the full route between christmas and new year, its quality. Nan Bields a bit of a slog but worth it.

swisstony
    Free Member

ta, that’s a definate contender

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

yes, I’d avoid it unless you can be reasonably sure it’ll stay clear (can you ever ?) as it’s so frustrating not to be able to see the view and if it’s cloudy it’ll probably be very nasty

I have a ‘Plan B’ but it’s a pale imitation really…..

I’m keeping a close eye on the weather and conditions (as close as I can via the internet, anyway) but it’ll be down to ‘have-a-look-see’ on the day I think, but it’s a big group (15 riders) to drag up 300 miles and not do it, if you catch my drift…….

peterd
    Free Member

Does anyone know what the track up Nether Beck from Wastwater to Ennerdale is like please?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Nan Bield climb from Haweswater is totally evil. Don’t do it! Ever. Go over Harter Fell, it’s way better (so I’m told)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Best Lakes routes for this weekend’ is closed to new replies.