Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Best kit for a small home gym
  • timidwheeler

Going to turn the spare bedroom into a gym. We’ve got a few weights and kettlebells already. Any advice on good, cheap kit that doesn’t take up a lot of space. Also any flooring suggestions would also be good. We’ve pulled up the old carpet so can start from scratch.

Cheers for any ideas

zilog6128

Do it properly and get a power rack? Mine plus weights cost me a bit less than 2 years gym membership (for one) so good value if you consider the long term. Also having your own means you haven’t got to worry about hogging it or other people being on it (as most gyms only seem to have one). That, some barbell weights & a bench are all you really need IMO.

EDIT: I also have an old Concept 2 I got off Gumtree which is a great bit of kit, and a full-length kick bag which is good fun but I don’t use it that much to be honest.

They sometimes do those interlocking floor mats at a decent price in Aldi/Lidl.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Pull-up bar of some sort, either bolted to wall/ceiling or free-standing (the latter are a bit wobbly and shit IME, at least the cheap ones are).

sadexpunk

1 adjustable squat rack (thatll have spotters and dip station) you can use for bench press, squats etc. (something like this) an adjustable bench with leg extension that you can use with the rack.
    powerbar 2 is an excellent bit of kit for pullups and chins and folds up small.
    enough plates to do your heaviest exercise natch. maybe 4 dumbells and a decent bar.

you say cheap, whats yer budget? ebay/gumtree/preloved for kit.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Ive got a high quality X trainer in mine, perfect for low impact work outs on dark winter nights in front of the TV.

timidwheeler

Haven’t set a budget. Will consider all suggestions. I should point out that I am a 40yo woman so not necessarily looking to start powerlifting and Mr TW is far too.. *looks over shoulder, screams and throws phone away*

zilog6128

Powerlifting doesn’t have to be all “worlds strongest man”, normal people can do it too (in fact IMO everyone should do it – there would be a lot less posts about shagged knees/backs if people did!)

IMO it’s the best bang for your buck time-wise that you can get in a gym. (I just call it weight-training though which sounds less scary).

Google “crossfit” to look at normal people lifting weights. (not necessarily endorsing crossfit in general!)

jimr80
    Free Member

How about no weights and just get a suspension training kit. I use a TRX after using a gym for years. Cycling takes care of the fitness while the TRX keeps me trim along with a few extra ab exercises and the occasional run. I’m in my late 40s and i find it really good just using bodyweight and gravity.
    TRX link

There’s also the TRX app(other exist) that have programs already sorted for different body parts and aimed at burning fat,getting toned or building muscle.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I think to make it usable, you’ve got to make it interesting, enticing and enjoyable….otherwise, they’ll always be something else to do. If you aren’t into weights, you can buy simple multi gyms or just stick to some dumb bells and have a X trainer or Training Bike or Running machine or all three!

Music and TV are essential.

timidwheeler

Sorry if I sounded dismissive of the weights. We do already have a good selection of kettlebells and other weights. I’m just not so keen on using up all the space on a power rack.
    The trx thing looks different. Is it worth the money? I’ve already got 5m of xx heavy exercise band. Does the trx offer much more?

jimr80
    Free Member

I think it is but thats my opinion. There are so many ways in which you can get a really good work out. Lots of videos on Youtube as well.
    Download the app (its free) and check out some of the programs.
    You can get bargains on ebay where people have tried and moved on. I paid £45 for mine from ebay.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Hi, what do you want to achieve from working out? What are your goals?

RobHilton
    Free Member

The trx thing looks different. Is it worth the money?

No, rings are way cheaper.

Like Hebs says what do you want to do? Or do you just like the idea of a home gym? I’ve got a few bits of kit at home, but don’t have consistent motivation so have to get my ass down the gym to bother doing anything :mrgreen:

jimr80
    Free Member

Full price TRX is probably not worth it , but there are plenty of copies(other brands) that are cheaper.
    I have not tried rings , is it a similar concept?

RobHilton
    Free Member
    timidwheeler

Usual really, I’m looking to improve my general all-round fitness really (I want to look amazing). I forgot to mention I also have a spin bike.It is an upstairs room with a party wall so noise is a big issue.

timidwheeler

I’m not sure I have the upper body strength to get much benefit from a set of gymnastics rings.

footflaps

I built a platform, have a bar, squat stand, bumper plates, and not shown some kettle bells, gymnast rings and a chip up bar.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ook5m5]Toaster Racks for Olympic Discs[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’m looking to improve my general all-round fitness really (I want to look amazing)

One doesn’t necessarily follow the other.

You want a beach body? Get on that spin bike for intervals, do numerous core exercises and slim down til you’re skinny as 🙂

For whatever you want to achieve you need some kind of programme; if you’re doing it at home you need motivation & discipline.

Maybe enter some events to train for to give you goals?

dudeofdoom

Do it properly and get a power rack

+1

They do take up a bit of space mind you – olympic bars are a bit long..

When I’m in weights mode I use Stronglifts 5×5 app – makes it a no brainer.

You’ll have to supply the motivation tbh…and the biggy is diet..
    (cant outtrain a bad diet tbh)

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’m looking to improve my general all-round fitness really (I want to look amazing).

The way to “look amazing” (for most of us) is to lower our body fat and increase the size of our muscles. There is no such thing as “toning” – that’s just marketing BS.

So you want to lose fat and build muscle? You need a programme, and the required equipment will stem from that.

Start with big compound lifts: Squats, deadlifts, presses, rows to get your major muscle groups working hard and burning fat. There are several off-the-shelf programmes that you can follow: Stronglifts 5×5 and Starting Strength being two of the most popular.

That Joe Wicks guy advocates HIIT sessions in his programme. They require less equipment, and you can choose the ones that you enjoy the most. I alternate punchbag sessions and kettlebell swings, with bodyweight exercises such as squat thrusts. Bear in mind, though, that Joe’s own God-like physique was not built on HIIT sessions – he lifts big.

I do HIIT sessions AFTER my lifting when I go to the gym, otherwise the sessions compromise my ability to lift.

Furthermore, I have found that heavy squatting compromises my cycling. SO I tend to ease off the squats until my major cycling events are over for the year, and then get right back on the squat rack through autumn and winter.

Lots of people say they don’t want to lift heavy weights, because they don’t want to be muscular. All I can say to that is, if you ever find yourself with TOO MUCH lean muscle mass, then that will be a very nice problem to have 🙂

Just be mindful of one thing – to transform your body shape you will need to consistently stress your muscles with weight they have never lifted before. That’s the principle of progression. So ignore the pink plastic dumbbell sets you get in Argos.

So to answer your question: A power rack, an Olympic bar and weights, a pressing bench. Something to do pull ups and dips on. Plus equipment for whatever HIIT sessions you enjoy: kettlebells, punch bag and gloves, whatever.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Any advice on good, cheap kit that doesn’t take up a lot of space

A subscription to the local gym takes up no space at all.

Serious suggestion.

I’ve tried a number of bits of home gym kit (including trx-a-likes). Generally they don’t hold a candle to going to a real gym (especially the “cheap no space” stuff). Or if they do, they take up a mahoosive amount of space, you can’t put them anywhere but the garage/shed (see footflaps rack), or they’re so expensive (Concept 2) you might as well have joined the gym.

CaptainSlow

I have this setup with a few other bits n bobs (attachments, et bar and dip bars etc). I upgraded the weights.

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/premium-strength-package.php

Very pleased with it and happy to recommend it for the price. Have been doing 5×5 with it and made good progress.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I have this setup with a few other bits n bobs (attachments, et bar and dip bars etc). I upgraded the weights.

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/premium-strength-package.php

Very pleased with it and happy to recommend it for the price. Have been doing 5×5 with it and made good progress.

It looks like great equipment and it obviously works for you but, with your extras, the cost is equivalent to 5 years’ membership at my gym. Personally I’d rather get out of the house and work out with others, than on my own in my garage with the box that the cat shits in 🙂

footflaps

Have to confess I very rarely use my home gym and just go to my local CF Box most evenings. I’m thinking of giving the OL platform away as it takes up a lot of space in the workshop….

sadexpunk

I’m thinking of giving the OL platform away as it takes up a lot of space in the workshop….

dibs if youre anywhere near lincoln 😉

CaptainSlow

I totally get why some folk prefer the gym to a home setup. I liked it when I went but needed something more efficient.

For me the cost was approx 2 years membership at the gym once I’d also bought the matting

I’ve a comfortable setup in terms of space etc, don’t have to wait or queue and can do the exact exercise I want when I want.
    With it being so accessible, it really helps fit in with work and other commitments so is perfect for me. I don’t miss the gym at all but totally get why folk do like it.

footflaps

I’ve a comfortable setup in terms of space etc, don’t have to wait or queue and can do the exact exercise I want when I want.

If you just use free weights this is never a problem, I think my gym has over 4 tonnes of bumper plates and something like 40+ Olympic bars….

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Whereas my gym never, one rack, one set of plates. They eventually got another bar but that was it. I’ve now left and will hopefully do the same as the OP nearer winter. I was in Decathlon and they had several bits of kit at what seems a reasonable price.

timidwheeler

*pops back to thread*
    Decathlon, excellent idea.

sadexpunk

If you just use free weights this is never a problem, I think my gym has over 4 tonnes of bumper plates and something like 40+ Olympic bars….

😯

footflaps

Plus over 100 Kettle Bells, which I’ve volunteered to build a rack for…

footflaps

You can just see half their plates pile on the RHS of this photo (of some Jerk Blocks I made).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CN8asE]Jerk Blocks[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Depending on your goals, you could use the kettle bells and add a turbo trainer?

RobHilton
    Free Member

@footflaps Where is your gym located, please? It looks great!

footflaps

@footflaps Where is your gym located, please? It looks great!

http://www.crossfitcambridgeshire.co.uk/

Website pics are out of date as they moved to a new unit 3x the size about a year ago. Must remind them to update it…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

With it being so accessible, it really helps fit in with work and other commitments so is perfect for me.

I would say the exact same thing about the commercial gym I go to.

It costs £17 a month. I go during work lunch hour. It’s never busy. It’s a 2 minute drive away.

Ultimately, it’s whatever works for you.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Best kit for a small home gym’ is closed to new replies.