Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Best introductory mountain for a child
  • bubs

My son wants to hike up a real mountain but (up to this point) he has not been very outdoorsy without a great deal of encouragement.
    What would be a good starter?
    Key things are:
    1. We don’t die doing it.
    2. It looks mountainy, not just like an oversized hill.
    3. It is relatively easy to reach from darn sarf.
    4. There is the possibility of an escape route if it all goes wrong.

I guess Snowdon ticks most boxes..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Y Garth.

🙂

legend
    Free Member

Snowdon always sounds far too busy. Would you not rather go somewhere quieter that you don’t have to wait in a queue to get to the summit and deal with train loads of people?

There not somewhere in the Brecon Beacons that would work? I’m North of the border so admittedly out of touch here

theteaboy
    Free Member

The darn sarf bit might be a problem but my first two ‘mountains’ both fit the bill – Pen y Ghent (Dales) and Catbells (Lakes).

Both ~4-5 miles in total, 1,500’ish ascent and look spectacular.

Edit: Also Win Hill (Peak)?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

We did Snowdon earlier this year with my kids. Was going to do the Pyg track, but weather wasn’t great so we did the Llamberis path instead. They were 8&11 and handled it fine. 11 miles in total. It was busy but the path is large so didn’t feel crowded. However the summit was shrouded in mist, as it is more often than not, so no rewarding views at the top.

A couple of years ago we also dragged them 3/4 of the way up Helvelyn. We were heading for a tarn part way up so not the summit, but didn’t quite make it as the weather took a turn for the worse so we headed back. About 10 miles in total, but again the kids handled it just fine.

tjagain

I would say the cobbler but its maybe too far north. Its small, craggy, feels like a real mountain and has great views

janesy81
    Free Member

Pen-y-fan might fit the bill? Took my 5year old daughter up there earlier this year and she enjoyed it. Easy to access start of the route (park just off A470), and pretty straightforward route up, plus good views from top. Can get busy though

molgrips
    Free Member

Pen y Fan is just a walk, and not a very long one. Easy for kids, and has a huge view at the top, but quite busy on a nice day.

I’m considering doing this with my 8 year old, was thinking Cadair Idris.

bubs

I spent a summer on Ingleborough and so have a soft spot for the Dales but they don’t really do the pointy mountain thing. Torridon might be a possibility if we turn it into a long weekend adventure but I am not sure how introductory it would be.
    Coming round to the Dales now as I remember how good some of the pubs were.

molgrips
    Free Member

Also Moel Siabod in North Wales. It’s got rocks to climb over towards the end but most of the height is just a hill walk. Depends on how old the kid is. That was always our intro in climbing club in school.

jekkyl

Get away for a proper weekend of fun in the North and take the nipper to the lakes and specifically Blencathra, which is great easy mountain. If you go up Halls Fell or Doddick Fell there’s a little bit of scrambling and it’s defo an actual mountain.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Pen-Y-Fan was my first mountain albight done as a teenager, depends on your route up as to how “big” if feels. Great views from the top. 3 odd hour drive vs 5 for Snowden. Also if you wish you could add the ridge above the beach at Rhossili in the Gower, a simple stroll up really but lovely view. Then along top and back via the beach. Would make for a fun weekend ?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d say North Wales or Lakes. The Yorkshire peaks just don’t have a proper mountain feel to me (despite meeting the official criteria).

You don’t say how old the lad is, or what you mean by an escape route, but I’d suggest heading to Cwm Idwal and then having a go at either Glyder Fawr or Y Garn.

Moel Hebog might be worth a look too. I remember that being quite straightforward and awesome views.

My hillwalking heyday was 20 years ago, but I started on Tryfan (perhaps a bit technical) and used to love the loop taking in Glyders Fawr, Fach, Y Garn & Tryfan. Stunning scenery and relatively compact area.

Skiddaw seems a simple up and down if you fancy the Lakes. There are some decent pubs there too you know.

b1galus
    Free Member

ben a’an . the eiger in miniature nice stroll from the car park and a good climb up the front door for an adventurous child

anagallis_arvensis

What age? The Sugar Loaf in South Wales before taking on some proper mountains.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ignoring most of your requirementd

Ben An spelling aside

Then a trip on a steam ship toottoot

marcus
    Free Member

Tryfan

benp1

Will keep an eye on this, how old are they?

I went up Loughrigg Fell a few weeks back with my kids (I’m down south too, it was a holiday in the Lakes), they were 4 and 5. They loved it

Somewhere interesting I think makes a difference. Different surfaces, things to climb up and over. They didn’t really care for the view!

allthegear
    Free Member

Pen-y-Ghent can look mountainy…

Rachel

Wookster

I’d suggest Catbells as well.

grizedaleforest

For the Lake District I think Coniston Old Man is a greater starter. Navigation is straightforward, it’s got the interest of the old mines, quarries; it’s a rugged environment; a tarn to distract from tired legs and you can walk over the top and round for a different way down. If you park at the top of the access road, it isn’t even a huge amount of climbing.

edlong
    Free Member

For the Lake District I think Coniston Old Man is a greater starter. Navigation is straightforward, it’s got the interest of the old mines, quarries; it’s a rugged environment; a tarn to distract from tired legs and you can walk over the top and round for a different way down. If you park at the top of the access road, it isn’t even a huge amount of climbing.

Pretty much exactly what I was about to type..

bubs

Plenty for me to research – thank you. He has just turned 9 and so should be up for a bit of an adventure (Leith Hill and its tower didn’t really cut it).

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Cnicht in snowdonia. A fairly easyish pull up to near the top (although you still feel like you earnt it), a little bit a scrambling to get to the peak (only one vaguely difficult bit) and a really nice gentle decent. However looks really impressive on the way up and looks like a proper mountain (and loads harder than it is) and the views at the top are great. Depends how old your kid is but 8-10 upwards I’d have no worries taking up there (dependent on your level of awareness/ confidence – without wishing to sound like a dick)

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Anything you like – I did Helvellyn when I was 5.

Probably the Fan though – it’s no more than a bimble but it’s got good height, great views & it’s a peak with history.

Spin
    Free Member

Torridon might be a possibility if we turn it into a long weekend adventure but I am not sure how introductory it would be.

Most of the Torridon hills aren’t really introductory. Beinn Damph might work though.

Tenuous
    Free Member

Took mine up Cadair Idris and Snowdon last summer (daughter age 5 and boy 9). Take enough snacks and they’ll make it up anything :p

timidwheeler

Cnicht x2

legend
    Free Member

Most of the Torridon hills aren’t really introductory. Beinn Damph might work though.

Not to mention being miles from anywhere and likely pissing with rain

chakaping
    Free Member

It’ll take about 18 hours to drive there from the south of England. Not sure it’s any wetter than Wales or NW Engalnd though.

Sandwich

Helvellyn via the bridleways, unless you want to deter him then a trip along Striding Edge will suffice. (Don’t do that though).

Spin
    Free Member

It was the OP that suggested it otherwise I wouldn’t have mentioned it. The more people that think its hard to get to with crap weather the better pleased I’ll be!

poly
    Free Member

What age is the son?
    Does he have decent, well tested boots?
    How would getting on the sleeper appeal (to both of you)?

aracer
    Free Member

A proper mountain, but not one I’d take anybody up as their first “mountain” however old they are – not even from the easy side.

Cnicht is a good suggestion, but whilst in that area last year and looking for something for similar reasons to the OP I took my then 7yo and 9yo up the lesser known Moel Hebog instead, which I reckon is a better option. Looks like a proper mountain, is fairly straightforward to get up but has some scrambly bits to keep it interesting (but nothing too hard if you don’t want – I picked a harder route with the kids while their mum took the easy way). Added bonus is that you cross the tracks of the Welsh Highland Railway, so if you time it right you should see some steam trains going by.

Don’t go up Snowdon, at least not on a summer weekend (which is presumably what you’re thinking). Far, far too busy IME and not the best “proper mountain” experience as it certainly doesn’t feel like getting away from civilization at the top!

redmex
    Free Member

Spoilt for choice in Central Scotland but maybe too far away but all fairly close to either Perth, Stirling,Glasgow even Edinburg not miles away from Ben Vorlich, Ben Ledi,Ben Lawers maybe a bit tough or Schiehallion. 4hrs on a train from London then rent the cheapest car, one night in a youth hostel and sleep all way back home on the train. Great views if you pick good weather

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Anything you like – I did Helvellyn when I was 5.

I think I was about 7 or 8 when I walked up it with Mum & Dad. Didn’t even have boots just ‘sturdy’ shoes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shoes?

Luxury!

paule
    Free Member

Cnicht is great for looking like a proper mountain. Shutlingslow near Macclesfield has similar proportions but is smaller (maybe too small at that age, but great when younger?) and probably only worthwhile on the way to somewhere else.

Cadair idris might work too.

Esme
    Free Member

What time of year are you thinking of?

Snowdon, Coniston Old Man, etc will be great next summer – but are you looking for something for half-term?

If so, may I suggest the Peak District:
    Start in Castleton, walk up the broken road to Mam Tor, then along the ridge to Lose Hill, down to Hope (for cake) and back along the river.

That’ll be plenty for a non-outdoorsy 9yo, yet the ridge can feel quite exposed in places.

tjagain

well if we are bragging I did Ben Nevis at 8yr old 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Best introductory mountain for a child’ is closed to new replies.