Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • best headset for £100
  • sefton
    Free Member

whats the best I can get then?

chris king or are there any other items in the sales etc?

PJM1974
    Free Member

You might be able to hunt down a King headset for just under £100…otherwise Hope ought to do it.

sambob
    Free Member

Cane Creek 110, the number is the years of warranty.

Hadge
    Free Member

CK. The end. Go to the Aspire Velotech webiste and order from the States. Dirt cheap.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

**** off dirt cheap

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Cane Creek 110

sefton
    Free Member
    gears_suck
    Free Member

King

simon1975
    andrewh
    Free Member

If by ‘best’ you mean most reliable, then go for King.
    £100 won’t get the top end Tune or Crank Bros ones though so you won’t get the lightest for that much.

nosedive
    Free Member

I’ve got a king one, and a hope one. I wish I had 2 hope and the £30 difference now

P20

I’d go for King. I’ve got 2 on my P20 and the 575 which are over 10yrs old now, both have never been touched. There’s another 3 kings in the garage, I wouldn’t go for anything else unless it’s cost (I’ve used £20 headsets until I could afford a king for a build) or specific design such as cannondales headshok

mboy
    Free Member

Used King’s for years, great but…

Can buy an FSA Orbit Extreme Pro for £30-35 now (rrp was £89!) and it’s got the same 10 year warranty… Personally I find the £70 is better off in my pocket these days, or spent on something that actually makes a difference!

trailmonkey

£100 for a headset ? seriously ? 😯

Aidan
    Free Member

Having removed the mangled remains of a King headset the other week, I’d say Hope headset and keep the spare cash. But pretty much the whole world seems to disagree so YMMV.

bruneep

Orbit xl2 pocket the cash.

Northwind

FSA Orbit and spend the rest on hookers

onandon
    Free Member

I have a king headset and cant see what the fuss is about.
    No better than a Hope, FSA etc

hillsplease

FSA again here.

But then my view is tainted of King on the grounds that they used to use an O ring as the interface with the steerer. Beautifully finished, market leading bearings and the interface with the fork was a bit of rubber, to avoid a licence fee. Remarkable.

Northwind

Course, they claimed the o-ring was the best way to do it, until the exact second the licence lapsed, whereupon they changed to the correct way to do it- and kindly offered to sell the parts as an upgrade to existing customers. That’s just awesome.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

they reckon that one reason the King bearings last so long it because of a side effect of the rubber ring – offering the bearing a bit of protection. Be interested to see if that changes now they’ve got rid of it (after the patent on the split ring ran out)

iain1775
    Free Member

Ive got a brand new still in box unused cane creek 110 in black 1 1/8″ here if you want £60 posted
    My email is in profile

scraprider
    Free Member

+1 northwind

sefton
    Free Member

my cheap orbit just feels rough to turn now – is the beginning of the end for it?

fivespot
    Free Member

Had Kings, but got fed up with them marking steerer tubes, now got Hope and a pocket full of change 😀

messiah
    Free Member

Kings have lasted me the longest but marked my steerer tubes. 5+ years.
    Hope – poor seals so full of mud and crap after a year but stainless bearings so give it a clean and repack ready to do the same next year.
    FSA Orbit Extreme – 5years guarantee – went rough after five years… go figure. Allegedly two versions of this – OIM and Aftermarket… OIM not so good?
    FSA – MX – two years and they are rough
    FSA – XLII – One year and it’s rough
    Acros – Rusty in a year. Replaced under warranty. They use stainless bearings now and guarantee five years… time will tell.
    Cane Creek – ten years ago the top of the range one rusted on me in two months. Probably better now but I’m bitter.
    RaceFace – never stay tight
    Crank Brothers – rust in a few months.

DezB
    Free Member

£19.99 3 years ago. Still smooth. Winter bike.

messiah
    Free Member

I should have added that this is my personal experience and hence YEMV :mrgreen:

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Got a nuke proof one on the tandem I am impressed with – sealed cartridge angular contact bearings which is nice

thebunk

+1

Just replaced it with a CK £100 fitted by a LBS, will get back to you in ten years with feedback…

anjs
    Free Member

Normal, integrated or internal?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you buy a King make sure it is the ‘griplock’ version, i.e. the one with the split ring not the O ring.

RealMan
    Free Member

Got my CK headset with a ti crown race and ti top cap bolt and a bunch of carbon spacers for £51.

ebay all the way..

And with the new griplock thing they don’t score steerers.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I still would buy a King again because of the hypocrisy of them shipping an inferior headset because they didn’t want to pay license fees, and then changing their minds as soon as the patent is up.

What other areas are they doing substandard stuff?

Get the Cane 110…

sefton
    Free Member

do the creeks come with matching spacers?
    would I need the 1/8″ for a turner flux/sid race forks

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

couldn’t tell you – I have a 1 1/8 King on my 2009 Flux with Sid teams, just ordered the Grip-lock upgrade for > half the price of a Hope – Doh!

don’t think the 2011 flux is a bigger/tapered headset.

Wozza
    Free Member

Orbit xl2 pocket the cash.

+1

3 years old, used year round in -5 to +25 in the peak and lake district. Still runs smooth. I’m not sure how a CK could do any better.

willyboy
    Free Member

orbit xl2 here too. I clean the bearings with a cloth every 8 or so months and smear a bit of grease on it.
    2 years so far. Cost £20.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It must be made in China by some overworked little girl for that price!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘best headset for £100’ is closed to new replies.