• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Best headphones for riding?
  • 13thfloormonk

I don’t ride with music often, but for long solo road rides its a must. I did have some of the Sony in ear ‘buds’ which were pretty good but I still needed to turn them up pretty loud to really enjoy the music.

What ‘sport’ headphones can you get which are compatible with a helmet?

JamieMc
    Free Member

I just use a sheap set that came with the MP3 player. I like to hear the logging lorries approaching at speed.

13thfloormonk

Haha, fair point, thats why I only keep the left one in so my ‘traffic side’ ear is free.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I just use the buds that came with my iphone, as above they’re rubbish enough that I can still hear traffic but I can turn them up loud enough if I feel the need.

I have used in ear type things before but it makes me feel way to disconnected with my surroundings.

_tom_
    Free Member

I sometimes use my soundmagic pl21s for riding in and they’re great. I’ve only used them with a full face though, but I guess they’d stay in as well with a normal helmet.

derek_starship
    Free Member

It has to be these:

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

don’t use buds – they are surprisingly loud – especially if using them in only one ear.

Otherwise check out the tinnitus thread for what lies in wait for you…

Some form of over the ear open-back headphone would be better – EQed to give more bass/fuller sound to compensate for being outdoors.

Something like this, although you may have to fight with the helmet:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koss-SP-Pro-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B00001P505/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319630109&sr=1-2

they are good sounding phones – I have had several sets. better sounding that the ‘PortaPros’, which can’t have the band behind your head.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00165R8XU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3/279-0024235-6130648?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_r=1CPDYZZQSFQZABREE7VS&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_i=B000067G0J

I have been trying to kill a set of these for 3 years without success, they appear to be water/shock and mud proof, sound good and most importantly dont keep falling out your lugs. Try before you buy if you can as the shape is a bit ear specific.

transapp
    Free Member

I find these on the odd times I want them are great I think I picked mine up from an Apple store for about £40 2 years ago and still going well despite many very sweaty rides. I think I’d go fo an inbuilt mike next time as I tend to go for a lot of sneaky rides when I should be working from home!

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_mp3_classic-line_502743

My opinion is that if I only hear the lorry that’s about to squash me, it’s all too late anyway.

Gary_M
    Free Member

don’t use buds – they are surprisingly loud – especially if using them in only one ear.

I have a volume control on mine, works well at stopping them being loud.

FuzzyWuzzy

Not convinced by the buds are bad argument either – surely they’re more isolating so if anything you can run them quieter than over-the-ear ones (assuming you aren’t talking about full-cup noise-cancelling jobbies)

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Are you plugging into an iPod? I use a set of Adidas/Sennheiser jobs that are ace and give you track and volume controls too. Can hear plenty of external noise as well.

13thfloormonk

Good stuff, had thought over ear style phones would suffer from wind noise, hence thinking in ear. Think my dad might be sending me some similar to the Sennheisers Transapp recommends anyway.

Bigdugsbaws, I tried a variation on the Sony ‘sport series’ and my ears obviously aren’t Sony shaped! They would take them back either as the packaging had been opened… 👿

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Not convinced by the buds are bad argument either – surely they’re more isolating so if anything you can run them quieter than over-the-ear ones (assuming you aren’t talking about full-cup noise-cancelling jobbies)

You know how when you leave a loud night club your hearing seems duller, because some muscles in the ear contract to reduce the transmission of sound to the inner ear.

Well I have tinnitus and hyperaccusis from clubbing and other things – so I am sensitive to sound levels.

Assuming I am listening at the same perceived volume then I can only wear buds for a few minutes before I get this effect, whereas I can wear over-the-ear and in-ear phones for hours.

To me that says that the buds are pumping more spls down my ear – which would cause more hearing damage.

remember I said this if you start getting tinnitus…

kerv
    Free Member

I have been using the ones that came with my HTC phone and I like that I can answer the phone without rooting through my pack/pockets. The sound from them is crap though and now they’ve packed up completely. Do any of these recommended ones offer that option?

RobHilton
    Free Member

This is genius

Don’t have a piss-pot though…

Scootash
    Free Member

Snowboarding helmet with built in headphones. Works perfectly, even has glove friendly volume control.

DT78
    Free Member

Sony do an all in one mp3 player. 4 gb no messy wires. Had the previous version it lasted 3 years being used most days. Great for running biking and boarding

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Best headphones for riding?’ is closed to new replies.