Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Best Hammerschmidt compatible FS 'all-mountain' / 'enduro' frame?
  • psychle
    Free Member

As per title really… thoughts anyone? 🙂

So far have thought about the Intense Uzzi or a Nicolai Helius AM…

peakmonster
    Free Member

Ibis Mojo HD

psychle
    Free Member

Not hammertime compatible unfortunately 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geetee1972
    Free Member

MBR have a section on Hammer and Sickle compatible bikes this month. They review the Cannondale Moto, Lapiere Froggy, Scott something or other and a Marin of some description. They are reviewed as complete bikes but I think you can get some as frame only.

Anyway, what you really want, is one of these:

I just built it up yesterday and have yet to ride it but I have ridden demo AMs a number of times before buying this one. I've specced it as ISCG/Hammerspittle compatible. Nicolai have two ISCG mechanisms, one of them isn't compatible with the Hammershite, the other is.

If you're interested in any other information on the Nic, let me kow.

psychle
    Free Member

nice… I do like the idea of a custom Nicolai 8)

I take it you're not a fan of the Hammerschmidt setup btw?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I haven't used one I just can't be bothered to work out how to spell the damn thing, hammerswhippet, spammershittle thingyum!

To be honest I am pretty open minded about them. In theory they make a lot of sense; as you can see I would be a perfect candidate for one as I'm running a single 32t ring with a chain device. At this time, it would add too much weight and the drive ratios don't quite work for me. In time, I think they will be pretty good but until they come down in cost and weight, I will stick with the traditional set up.

The custom route is a devil with the Nics though – this one has a custom seat tube, basically it's a size large frame, but with a size medium seat tube, custom sized to an ID of 30.9 in order to take my existing Joplin. I wanted the shorter ST anyway so was being charged for that and the ID request didn't add any extra cost. I also got some custom cable guides for the Joplin along the underside of the top tube.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

weve got a couple of mondrakers in with hammers fitted….have yet to use one in anger though

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Corsair marque or their other one that's a bit more hardcore, can't recall the name.

psychle
    Free Member

any other thoughts? I guess I'm looking for a FS frame that pedals well in the 'granny' ring position right?

So what suspension design suits this? Horst, DWS, singlepivot, VPP (and all the others!)?

cheers chaps 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I read about some issues with certain single pivot bikes. Something to do with the fact that you are effectively always in the granny ring and some single pivot suspension don't work so effectively when in the granny ring, but I can't remember what the detail was, it was something to do with where the pivot is in alignment to the chainrings. And it might have been that mumbo jumbo that us mear mortals wouldn't notice anyway, but maybe worth researching.

titusrider
    Free Member

as far as im aware be 'very' careful about expecting a sus bike to work well with hammersmitt. An interview with dave weagle of DW link fame gave the impression that a triple chainset was about the only reason most sus systems gave anything like acceptable performance.

mildred

The other thing to bear in mind is that all designs, that may even share the same name, are not equal.

For example, my Helius ST is a Horst link four bar – I used to have a Norco A-line, which is also a Horst link four bar. The Helius is a phenomenal ride that is supple without bobbing, sensitive to small bumps and absorb the big hits effortlesly, sit into its travel when cornering, and feels super stable at speed – the Norco was a pig that tried to kill me and put me off four bar designs for years!!!!

I agree with Eve in that sngle pivots can be very sensitive to being in the granny ring – this is caused by chain growth – so may not be the best choice, but I wasn't convinced by dave Weagle's assertion, which was, incidently, published in MBR, because as I recall he was basically saying that in full sus' design its all a compromise anyway.

I would suggest that any bike that has minimal chain growth past its initial sag point will be more suited to the Hammerschmidt system. Of course this could all be red wine speaking.

psychle
    Free Member

looking around, how about a Canefield Sauce or even The One? Reading their suspension spiel it sounds like they're "One" suspension setup should be cool with a hammerschmidt?

carlphillips
    Free Member

is the hammertimeshitthingymebob just a £600 front mech & ring? or am i reading it wrong?

psychle
    Free Member

is the hammertimeshitthingymebob just a £600 front mech & ring? or am i reading it wrong?

Kind of… it's also a bashring as well 🙂 and it allows instant shifting from 24T to 38T, whilst standing still, under power, whenever… 'tis rather cool to have… admittedly, it's quite expensive at £600 all in, luckily I happened to pick one up in the States for around half that price 😉

kimbers

you get cranks too right?

chakaping
    Free Member

I just looked that MBR review out, as I have a Froggy arriving soon and I hadn't seen any proper reviews of it anywhere before.

Pleased to see it won the test anyway.

Here's a link if it helps…

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/reviews.aspx?r=1

si-wilson
    Free Member

Bit of an ugly duckling but it works well with the hammershit (whatever) and is a really under rated frame! Everyone who ever rides one loves it!

This particular medium frame is uber cheap too 🙂

full bike pic

GaryLake
    Free Member

Will it fit an Orange Blood?

Moonglu
    Free Member

Our Helius AM has been reviewed for MBUK's Superbike Test. The mags not in the shops until the end of the week but there are some pics here:

Helius AM

I rode the bike in Morzine last year and for this application the Hammerschmidt worked really well. The shift is instant and perfect when you need a low gear instantly for short sharp rises when the chain's at the high end (top gear) of the rear block. Nicolai were involved in some of the development work with Truvativ/SRAM hence the linkage and frame compatibility.

psychle
    Free Member

That Helius is rather lovely Moonglu… really like the red/white colour combo 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Best Hammerschmidt compatible FS 'all-mountain' / 'enduro' frame?’ is closed to new replies.