Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Best grips for rigid single speed
  • birdl123
    Free Member

Anyone got any suggestions on the best grips for a single speed

I usually use ergons with the little bar end, and have been looking at the new magnesium ones?

However I fancy a change and ESI Chunky’s get good reviews, but i’m not sure if I will miss the bar ends of the ergons when it comes to the hills etc.

What do you all think/recommend?

What are your thoughts on the bar end situation?

These will be on flat bars, if that makes any difference

plumber
    Free Member

Lizard skin lock ons for me

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If you want to be on the new niche you simply have to fit aero bars to your rigid SS.

oldnpastit

Superstar foam grips. Cheap and light and squishy.

redfordrider
    Free Member

Race Face good ‘n evil grips are cheap, look good, are comfortable, but you’ll need to cut the end off to fit barends. Barends are overrated and I’ve now taken them off all my bikes.

schmiken

ESI Chunkys. And put bar ends on!

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I have been using BBB lockons and they seem fine.

takisawa2

Got to be Lizard Skins North Shore.
    The slip-on versions if you can get them.
    Very comfy.

And best combined with a nice carbon low-rise bar in std 25.4 dia to get a bit more flex in there.

toys19
    Free Member

TBH this is the problem with singlespeeds, their grip requirements are so obscure that the manufacturers haven’t caught up. I gave up on the idea of building one when I found that SS grips were just not available. I feel that SS’s are actually doomed and will probably die out whithin the month. Its a conspiracy perpetuated by shimano and sram, who are actually part of the cartel the derailleurati, they want to ensure that we continue to upgrade to the latest groupset and feel threatened by the presence of single speeds.

The impending invasion of Iran is a symptomn of this, the greatest concetration of “gripum” the mineral used to make grips is found there and the derailleurati want control over the grip market to prevent other manufacturers from making grips comnpatible withg single speeds, thus ensuring their death in the market place.

Many bothan spies died to bring us this information..

JoB
    Free Member

Odi Cross Trainer Lock ons, because i found them comfy on my geared suspension bike

Ringo
    Free Member

I use oury grips, they glow in the dark 😀

birdl123
    Free Member

Anyone find not having bar ends an issue when it comes to the hills?

curlie467
    Free Member

No issues with not having bar ends at all, i find wide riser bars better due to the leverage and when you have to grind it up the hill.
    Any grips will do, its the fillings falling out of your teeth that concern you most.

clubber
    Free Member

lol @ toys 🙂

I’m also unsure what ss has to do with it but if you’refinding rigid hard on your hands ime foam or ergon type grips are both good solutions.

As to bar ends, my ss is my only mtb without flat bars and bar ends. Just make sure you have reasonably wide bars.

birdl123
    Free Member

I mentioned it was SS because many people claim bar ends are a must to help with the leverage along with the wide bars!!

Anyone know where I can get some ESI Chunky’s from the UK. I can only find hem from the states?

wallop

May I ask, how does the fact that a bike only has one gear affect the specification of ones grips?

mintimperial

After extensive research I found that the best grips for my SS were the old ones I found at the bottom of a box of spare bits of bike crap.

takisawa2

toys clearly has issues. Probably been owned by a SS’er recently.
    Or may have lost a woman to one. Chicks dig singlespeeders.
    Especially ones with big grips. [GRIPS mods. I said grips]. 😆

will
    Free Member

😆 Toys!

I use Oury grips, cheap, thick, good

toys19
    Free Member

toys clearly has issues. Probably been owned by a SS’er recently.

All the blimmin time…

schmiken

Charlie, the monger of bike related things has them, as do Clee Cycles.

TiRed

Ergon GP1 (small) without barends. I don’t know if they are “best”. But I love mine. Son1 has GX1’s in black, which look better but function the same.

Stoner
    Free Member

I used bar ends for a while after getting a bit of ulna nerve pain using mid rise bars.

Since moving to a bigger sweep (Fleegles) bars Its been much more comfortable – and obviously not been using bar ends with them, otherwise Id spend most of the ride hung up in the woodwork.

birdl123
    Free Member

Some people really have got issues!!!!

I thought this would be a straightforward question

clubber
    Free Member

you’re new here, right 🙂

epicyclo

toys19 – Member
    …who are actually part of the cartel the derailleurati…

The derailleurati cartel are distracted by their attempts to derail the singlespeeders while the epicyclic movement just spins its wheels…

toys19
    Free Member

like ^

lapize
    Free Member

Grips? Eh?

Drop bars and tape. It’ll change your life.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

ESI grips are amazing,running them on one bike but I still cant find any in the UK for my other bikes !!!

yunki
    Free Member

After extensive research I found that the best grips for my SS were the old ones I found at the bottom of a box of spare bits of bike crap.

this

plus these

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I ripped the bar ends off Ergons going up a steep hill on my SS. this meant the entire grip slid off and I had to ride the rest of the day with bare metal under my right hand. Considering my SS is also ridged and we went to a jump park en-route, I reckon I must be very manly indeed. 😯
    If you are not quite as butch as me, I’d recommend any lock on grip with the lovely Specialized bar ends.
    If you don’t like bar ends then you’re probably spending too much time looking at magazines and not enough time riding. 😉

jameso

) toys19

but i’m not sure if I will miss the bar ends of the ergons when it comes to the hills etc.

To be fair to the OP, I use bars and grips on a rigid ss that woudn’t ever get fitted to my HT or FS.

Have you tried a more swept-back bar, maybe that’d work with ESIs? Might not miss the bar ends or the ergo shape with a bar like that. Barends and ergos do something smilar but swept-back bars do it better imo, certainly for all-round riding, as good or better on climbs and better on the tricker stuff, comfy over longer periods. IF you’re on a rigid. So it’s all relative.. wouldn’t put the same bar/grips on my FS.

gingerss
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s been said but I find lock ons essential.

@wallop, it’s because when one is pushing up a steep incline one must pull up on the bars to maximize force applied to the pedals. The OP also mentioned rigid so there will be a cushioning factor too.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Best grips for rigid single speed’ is closed to new replies.