Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best GPS Phone cycling app
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

hi,
    just got anew android htc phone. whats the best app out there, for free, that tracks rides etc. also how relaible is gps in the woods.

friend uses a a garmin which is good.

cheers

s

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

endomondo

soulrider
    Free Member

I dont know whether its actually the best – but for ease of use and letting mates see your routes or challenging your mates to different things
    Endomondo stands head and shoulders above the others.

phil56

I have found the best apps (I use an HTC Desire/android) are sportstracklive for tracking a route and lots of other details. Once uploaded you can also play the route back on Google Earth.

Just started using MM Tracker for OS maps/GPS and very impressed, although this does need memory map on your PC

Both have free trial versions I think, and full version are only a fiver

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

looks good, will give it a go today

soulrider
    Free Member

Endo comes in 2 levels the standard Free has most things you need.
    the pay version is about £2.50 and has a few fancy extras
    both on your phone and online.

MadBillMcMad

I like maverick, again free or sub – free is perfectly good.
    You upload/download routes to gpsies.com

it has access to OS 1:25,000 maps – perfect which can be downloaded offline for quick access when out & about.

perhaps I should look at endomondo as it appears popular.

What I have not found is an app that allows you to foolw a route like you would with a purpose built GPS like a garmin etrex.

mrmo
    Free Member

I have tried Endomondo and My Tracks, what i found odd was the difference in altitude, surely the phone is using the same code to figure it out and passing the info to the application? so how can the heights be 100’s of feet different?

jakeds
    Free Member

I use MapMyTracks (Outfront) on my iPhone, and it’s easily the best app I’ve used. I realise you’re looking for Android, and currently they don’t have an app but apparently they’re working on one, and in the meantime there’s some apps which play nicely with their site (which is possibly the greatest part, the syncing of rides and data into graphs). http://www.mapmytracks.com/blog/entry/android-apps-that-play-nicely-with-map-my-tracks

phil56

What I have not found is an app that allows you to foolw a route like you would with a purpose built GPS like a garmin etrex.

That’s exactly what MM Tracker does. You need to be using Memory Map, or have the section of map you need emailed to you buy someone who does. Then it’s just like a garmin, you load the GPX file and the gunsight like cursor follows the trail – or not if you get lost as I did yesterday, and it was really useful guiding us back on track.

warton
    Free Member

What I have not found is an app that allows you to foolw a route like you would with a purpose built GPS like a garmin etrex

doesn’t trails do this? may be iPhone only though…

montylikesbeer

try map my ride, it works for me

MadBillMcMad

MM tracker is tied to memory Map which I do not have.
    I have tracklogs.

Has anyone tried ViewRanger ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best GPS Phone cycling app’ is closed to new replies.