Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Best friends as an adult.
  • bigyim
    Free Member

Anyone still have a best friend as an adult? Or is it something that children have?
    I used to have loads of friends and a couple of best mates I could have a good chat with. Now I’m starting to feel like a bit of a loner.
    I was driving home from work stressing about something and thought “a problem shared is a problem halved”
    Then I thought I haven’t really got anyone to tell……

So. Do you have a best buddy?

hodgynd
    Free Member

I have some very good friends all of whom I would like to think I could turn to if I had a problem.
    Who I would turn to would depend on the kind of problem I had at the time ..I value their friendship equally ..but my missus is the person I turn to more than any other ..

crankboy
    Free Member

I have true friends who I could and have turned to in time of need. But my best friend as I understand that to be is my wife with whom I share everything that I would share with any one.
    Any one who can count 3 true friends is blessed.

weeksy

I have 3. We don’t do deep and meaningful though

scotroutes

Pretty much that. My Mrs is my best friend.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes one best friend plus the wife, I know I could count on either and visa versa

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Think so, but not sure he thinks of me as his best buddy. He’s good at getting in contact with old work mates in general to find out what they’re up to.
    We throw texts back and forth, say, every two weeks to a month. Once every three to four months we meet up for a drink. He’s got that knack of never cutting ties which I have a tendency to do. I just seem to self destruct, so it’s good to know somebody’s showing an interest in my life. I would like to get a girlfriend but wouldn’t want to encumber any potential partner with my unsettled existence right now.

grey

I do .
    Don’t really have any close male friends though, mine are all female for some reason and we can talk to each other about anything.
    I do have male friends but all we really talk about is bikes 🙂

Royston
    Free Member

I would say No. Which I am probably responsible for myself. In my late 30’s I had an extremely acrimonious split with my then partner which involved the court system, years of wrangling over access to the children which I was being denied by their mother. A financial meltdown and a battle to clear my name over alledged criminal activity. I was so ashamed of the whole situation and having my affairs in the spotlight that I have basically hidden since. I have an ‘arms length’ relationship with a couple of people and family members since that time.
    An old friend got in touch over the last few weeks as it happens and I really feel awful about how generous his approach has been when I treated him so poorly by distancing myself.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Yes
    Male
    From primary school
    Secondary school
    Uni brake
    Shared a flat for 5 years
    Best men for each other at weddings
    See each other a few times a month for beers, families hangout with each other
    38 years so far !!

Female
    Known her since I was 17
    Still talk a few times a week
    Her husband is a top bloke
    My wife and her are friends
    28 years !

And about 6 other people from school that Are great friends and regularly speak to!

househusband

Apart from my wife..?

The dogs.

funkmasterp

I have two really close friends. We don’t meet up or chat as often as we used to, but are always there for each other should the need arise. Work and family commitments tend to stop us from hanging out as much as we’d like to.

yossarian
    Free Member

2 best mates and another 2 very good ones. I had a tough second half of 2017 and their support and sacrifice to help me get back on my feet was **** unbelievable and incredibly humbling.

binners

Pretty much the same as unfitgeezer.

Best mates since we started school together, aged 4. So 40 odd years in. Love him like a brother. In fact, more so. He hates hi bother. He’s a ****!

Been there through good times, bad times, mad times, and truly awful times. Been best man for each other, been physically restrained to punching the **** out of each other on occasion.

Like a marriage, only more intense, as the disagreements are far more brutal

slowoldman

1 particular bloke I’ve known for 45 years (or so).

Duggan

Yeah I would say I do. I’m 36 and I have quite a few mates I would say are very close. A number of those are all mutual friends though from when we lived together for quite a few years.

Not sure if that’s unusual or not but I got married in September which I guess traditionally is when people might grow apart but with email and whatsapp etc it’s a lot easier to keep everyone in touch these days.

My dad is 65 and I’m not sure he has any “close” friends at all, maybe two people he keeps in touch with max I would guess.

Caher

I have very good friends but my best friend, who I knew since I was 5, died of cancer 10 years ago. I was his best man and godfather to his kids.

martymac

Yeah, apart from the wife, (who really is my best friend) i have one male friend from school, one female friend from school, and a female friend ive known for 15yrs whom i used to work with,
    I know I could turn up unannounced at any of their doors and have a roof over my head if i needed it.
    And it works both ways.
    I consider myself lucky.

grum
    Free Member

My best friend was my wife for most of my adult life. Now I don’t have a wife, don’t have a best friend either but have a few friends I can talk to about anything and I know would be there for me if I needed them.

I know it kinda sounds lovely in some ways but from my experience I would strongly caution against co-dependency and being too insular if your best friend is your wife.

franksinatra

Not really. I have plenty of people I am friendly with, go for a ride or a drink with but I wouldn’t really regard any of them as close.

driving home from work stressing about something and thought “a problem shared is a problem halved”
    Then I thought I haven’t really got anyone to tell……

This is very true to me. I am lucky to be married but I don’t have any other true friends.

wiggles
    Free Member

nope.

Had a few good friends in school but they went off to uni at 18 and I moved in with my ex had kids etc and was basically not allowed out…

Now im single and they are are all living with girlfriends etc so we just ended up all out of sync with each other and just grew apart

Dont have many friends as a result of all that… have one mate who I used to work with who is a bit older than me but lives on his own etc so usually about but not someone I talk to about serious stuff

stewartc
    Free Member

A couple that I have known since 12, due to distance and time we rarely get time to chat but when we do meet, say every 2 years, its like we have never been apart, so I would say around 34 years.
    I think it is important to have people you can sound off against and also air your problems, we are social animals after all and generally perform better as part of a team*.
    I feel there are different layers of friends, those that you can rely on 100% or share anything with (best), those you know socially and generally get along with and others such as riding groups or people you meet in the pub etc.
    Friendship is like trust, its gets earnt, and the best friendships get earnt either over a long period or thtough the toughest tribulations.
    *I have no scientific proof to prove this.

jamj1974

My brother – irritating shit that he is, he’s one of my best friends, I have put myself in harms way for him and he has for me. I have another friend who may as well be my brother – seen me at my best and at my worst, my family all love him too.

I’m lucky, I have many dependable friends – but those two gits, I’m with them until the end. However, my wife is my strongest, truest friend. I’d be half the person I am if she had not been here.

mark d
    Free Member

Yeh,nobody I went to school with, complete tossers
    Outside of school I would probably say I have 3 best friends all from different parts of my life.
    Only one is open to the deepest darkest secrets.
    I find it fascinating that most people say there partners are best friends.
    I’d love that…

windyg
    Free Member

My best friend died…….i really miss that cat.

stumpy01

I’ve not got any best mates close by that I regularly meet up with, but there are people who I have known either for my whole life or since my days at uni who I would consider to be best mates & who I know we’ll always be around for each other.

I suppose it’s really come about because of moving away from where I grew-up and living quite a distance from work etc.

Most of my friend’s are people from my childhood, uni or working life. There are people I get on well with at work & would probably meet up with for a beer, but living 40 miles from work means that never happens, unless we have a work night out.

I do feel sometimes like a bit of a billy-no-mates because there’s no one really close by who I could ring up and meet down the pub spontaneously etc. and when I do go out to pubs locally, I see lots of groups of people who obviously all grew up together & are still very close.

I have wondered whether I need to look for local riding groups & photography clubs etc. to start meeting more ‘locals’….

DezB
    Free Member

Actually, it’s probably my son, but not sure he’d agree 😆

Nah, mate since the 90s, he’s moved away but we still consider each other best mates. Got me into MTBing, for which I will be eternally grateful.

Shred
    Free Member

Nope, no friends pretty much at all.
    People I know that I grew up with or went to school with, but not friends, let alone best friends.

darrell
    Free Member

Ive moved around the world too much and met too many people.

The mates I had when I grew up still live in the UK and I’m in Norway so we don’t see each other much.And over the last 10 years the spark of friendship has faded

tjagain

Yes. 56 yr old and still got 2 or 3 close old pals. I don’t see them as much s I used to and my best mate died last year but there are still people who I have that close friendship with. T’missus as well of course.

kayla1
    Free Member

My other half is my best friend, he’s smashing. We have loads in common but enough separate interests that things potter along nicely.

And this-

I have plenty of people I am friendly with … but I wouldn’t really regard any of them as close.

core

12-18 months ago I had a friend I spent the most time with I reckon, but perhaps not a best friend, and wasn’t that close to anyone, I’ve not traditionally been a talker.

I had a bit of a crap year in 2017, quite a lot self inflicted, but nonetheless, I’ve got through it relatively unscathed thanks to my friends, and a couple in particular who have stepped up to support me. One has been through some similar stuff to me, and another is the one I already spent a lot of time with.

I’m now in much more regular contact with some old school friends, since the loss of one of our group, and we’re enjoying it (I am at least) so something positive has come from tragedy. We’re all about 30.

I now know that I definitely do have a best friend, and a couple of others not far behind that I can share anything with, or at least can share with one or other of them.

I’m fortunate that my friends are from varied backgrounds and do quite different things, that breadth of experience is invaluable. Don’t discount the dickheads either, you can learn something from everyone, even if it’s just not to follow their example.

woody2000

I reckon my brother is probably my best friend (god, I hope he doesn’t read that!). We like the same things, same sense of humour, share the same political views etc. We even share a birthday for god’s sake 🙂

I’m still in reasonably regular contact with several people I went to junior school with 40+ years ago. I have a few close friends that I’ve known for a long time and feel lucky in that respect. HOWEVER, I’m very self contained and simply don’t feel the need to share every aspect of my personal life with anyone other than me really. Not that it’s particularly exciting anyway 😉

I love my Mrs, but that’s something different to friendship IMO.

DezB
    Free Member

don’t feel the need to share every aspect of my personal life with anyone other than me really

And us 😉

woody2000

Obviously 🙂

smogmonster

ignore

kcal

no siblings so that option is out..
    I met up with three guys I’d known since primary school – and secondary – 45 years then – the other day, it was as if we hadn’t changed (we had, obviously, but they’re still just really good friends and will – I guess – remain so.

I have another very good friend, also on here, known slightly less but not much – work, hills, bikes, beer, whisky shared chat. plus others from here or edinburgh groups..

very lucky I am.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Other than MrsSlim, no. But i’d like one.

Anyone want to be my bestie?

DezB
    Free Member

slimjim78
    Free Member

Sigh. I’m used to it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Best friends as an adult.’ is closed to new replies.