Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Best fork out of these 3……
  • crazant
    Free Member

Just built up my 456 summer season and put my Marzocchi 33 tst2's on but they are only 100mm, after reading a few threads about running that travel on a 456 i think i need slightly more. Not got a big budget and Wiggle seem to be doing some good deals so which out of these 3 is the best for the money…

Marzocchi 44 , hasn't got TST or ATA which stops any problems there but does have lockout which i like..
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Marzocchi_44_120mm_Travel_Suspension_Forks/5360040014/#more

Rockshox Tora 318 Air..
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/RockShox_Tora_318_Solo_Air_OE_Suspension_Forks_2009/5360045725/#more

Or the Rockshox Tora 318 Coil
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/RockShox_Tora_318_Coil_U-Turn_OE_Suspension_Forks_2009/5360045722/#more

So opinions please. Is there a better option for the money and which would suit the 456 the best?

Another thought, my fork (33tst2)is available in 120mm, could my 100mm ones be converted to 120mm, can't find any info on the net..

Thanks
    Anthony

Daffy

Tora Coil

akira

Tora Coil, reliable and a pretty good little fork.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Ask Windwave about a travel change.

If you like the 33, I'd go for the 44- Marzocchi have made some excellent forks, just their reputation has become a bit tarnished and I think that puts a lot of people off- but they have a three year warranty and Windwave are pretty helpful.

crazant
    Free Member

I see a trend developing…

Cheers

poppa
    Free Member

Tora coil is pretty bomproof, and the 318 has the same damping as a lot of Rebas and Revelations (Motion Control). Just a bit heavy. That price explains why I haven't been able to shift my S/H pair!

chakaping
    Free Member

Just buy one of the Toras before they all go, they won't last long at those prices.

I'd go for the air personally. I've used the 302 solo air and it was a good fork, albeit a bit heavy. This will perform better than the 302, and be lighter than the coil version.

Plus you don't need to worry about having the right coil for your weight.

thebunk

Out of interest, how come no-one is recommending the Tora Air?

rhid

The Toras are great but the coil version comes with a very soft spring fitted as standard. Its something to bear in mind if you are over about 12st!

akira

Coils feel a bit plusher and nicer to use than the air ones.

poppa
    Free Member

Well the coil will most likely be more plush and more reliable. Also the coil fork as U-Turn travel adjust, which means that if you want to put the fork on a different frame at some point you will have more flexibility (and when it comes to selling secondhand too).

I think it's a pretty good deal, they are normally ~£200 (CRC).

chakaping
    Free Member

Ahem.

I'd go for the air personally. I've used the 302 solo air and it was a good fork, albeit a bit heavy. This will perform better than the 302, and be lighter than the coil version.

Plus you don't need to worry about having the right coil for your weight.

Daffy

Because, if you're looking at this level of fork going on a Summer Season, you're not concerned about the weight, you'll be wanting plush not light.

GaryLake
    Free Member

If you're on a budget I'd go Air – if the spring's wrong for you in the coil you could be looking at a bit of cost and faff, esp if you can't do it yourself.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Although Daffy raises a valid point…

poppa
    Free Member

How much do you weigh out of interest? I have experience of both the standard and firm springs so might be able to advise you.

crazant
    Free Member

Thanks all, I weigh about 12.5 stone is this ok for the standard spring..
    Cheers

poppa
    Free Member

Difficult one, I weigh 85kg which is about 13.35 stone. The standard spring seemed a little soft, but the firm one seemed quite firm! (Unsurprisingly…).

I suspect that if you like a soft fork the standard would be ok, but if you like a firm fork then the firm spring would be the way to go. Sorry, I realise this isn't very helpful.

I used the soft one for about 8 months and it was fine, if a little divey under hard braking. The firm one didn't dive, but was a lot firmer over small bumps. I guess I was 'between springs' perhaps.

Daffy

Standard spring with the SS geometry will be fine

poppa
    Free Member

Yeah, when you decrease the travel the spring gets compressed a bit like a pre-load too, so if you run at 100mm the forks will be stiffer or at 130mm a bit more plush.

rhid

I'm about 12.5-13st and I found the standard medium spring far to soft! I'd go for the air if I was you, much less faff.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Best fork out of these 3……’ is closed to new replies.