• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Best flat bar for a rigid bike
  • PJay
    Free Member

There may not be a simple answer to this, but I’m looking for a flat bar option for a carbon forked hardtail.

Years ago On-One used to make a range of bars specifically for rigid bikes that had noticeable buzz absorbing properties; these days everything seems to be about stiffness.

Thomson do silly money titanium flat bars (even heavily discounted at CRC they’re really pricey) but Bike Radar’s review suggests that they’re no more comfortable that a decent alloy bar.

Are there any flat bar options that stand out for rigid bikes? I’ve prefer alloy over carbon (as I’d like a silver bar and would want to use bar ends) but anything considered.

Lummox

Bought some spank vibrocore bars for my trail bike, I’m sure there is the ‘give’ they talk about and I have less buzz going through my hands

takisawa2

I know you said flat but I’ve been running non oversize Easton low rise on my fully rigid for a few years.
    My reasoning is that the smaller dos & extra bend gives a tiny extra flex.
    The slightly higher rise gets a bit of weight off your hands also.
    Recently I’ve gone to b+ tyres (29er), they make a big difference.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Easton carbon flat bar does well on my rigid 29er.

everyone
    Free Member

I’ve a cut down (720mm) Kinesis carbon bar that is really nice.

kerley
    Free Member

Perceived wisdom would have you using a carbon bar but as you specifically don’t want a carbon bar then just get an alloy bar that is the right sweep and width.

I have ridden rigid for 13 years and can’t say I have noticed any difference between all the bars I have used other than carbon is generally lighter.

Buzz is taken care of by a fat softish tyre on the front (compared to a road bike type buzz)

everyone
    Free Member

You can get carbon bars that have been reinforced for bar ends.

PJay
    Free Member

I’m not adverse to carbon if I can find one that will take bar ends, it’s just that the rest of my finishing kit is silver, so a silver bar would be my first choice.

I’ve got a Controltech 600mm flat bar that I’ve never really used, that I’ll try out to see if a flat bar feels right before parting with the cash.

As the fork are carbon, would a carbon bar offer much extra comfort or would an alloy bar be just as effective?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got a Sunline V1 762mm flatbar in silver to offload, if that might be of interest.

Always thought it was pretty comfy for alu, but only used it with suspension forks.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

A carbon bar definitely flexes more than alu. Mt Zoom do a nice light bar that visibly bends and hasn’t broken yet despite being raced rigid quite a lot.

mokl
    Free Member

KCNC SC Bone scandium bar is what I run on my rigid 29er. Definitely feel some flex, in fact I removed it from my front sus hardtail and fitted a carbon bar (Truvativ Noir) as wanted something a bit more solid feeling. Like it on the rigid. It’s not silver though, however it is light and good value. I find it a pretty comfy shape too.

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/P15102/product

spectabilis
    Free Member

Setting up to keep your weight off the front end will have more of an effect IMO

I run low rise DH bars on my rigid. A high front end with plenty of spacers make for a surprisingly comfy ride. A large back sweep like On One OG’s make it even more so.
    ESI grips help too as does a + tyre.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Just bought a Truvative Noir carbon flat bar for my 29er, really nice, Also have a Thomson low rise carbon bar that takes out the trail buzz from my hands very well.
    Highly recommend it.

eshershore
    Free Member

got a S-Works carbon flat bar on my MTB and it was noticeably more comfortable than the Easton Havoc aluminium bar it replaced

would not have paid for the privilege, got given it by a customer who actually wanted a riser bar on his new S-works mtb

Daffy

Niner RDO bars are designed to do exactly this.

PJay
    Free Member

Niner RDO bars are designed to do exactly this.

Crickey, they’re more expensive that Thomson Titanium bars at CRC!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Best flat bar for a rigid bike’ is closed to new replies.