• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Sanny.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best fatbike for big (scottish) mountains
  • stevious

Hello STW hivemind.

I am in the process of working out the feasibility of a fairly big trip taking in many munroes in a bikepacking style next summer. I’d really like to do it on a fatbike. I may consider one of the 63 other tyre/wheel sizes at some point, but lets keep it simple by focusing on fatbikes for now. For budget purposes I think £1500 should be about right but am happy to shrink/expand that a wee bit if I think the benefits are worth it.

My other parameters:
    – Weight. I’m very aware that there will be lots of hike-a-bike so lightness is important.
    – Gearing. Need to be able to winch it up long slopes. Can I get the gears Ineed with a 1x setup or would 2x be more useful?
    – Handling. I’m mostly a roadie these days so something that flatters my lack of technical prowess might be a good idea. Would suspension help here?

So, what is out there that I should investigate? Any bikes to completely avoid?

gaidong
    Free Member

Hi Stevious,

I’m a fattie-owner-to-be, with a Cube Nutrail Pro on its way. I choose it for lowish cost, weight and metal over carbon. I looked at and tried the Rose Tusker but it was a bit tractor-like. If I hadn’t already ordered and wasn’t so carbon-averse the Sonder Vir Fortis looks good value. Then there’s a Dude…

Gaidong

fin25
    Free Member

I think you can still get the Surly Ice Cream Truck for £1700.
    I got one, I love it, sounds perfect for what you have planned.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I think Sanny uses a Turner King Khan to pretty devastating effect on his mountain runs. If you can find something similar for your budget (full suspension, 4″ tyres) then go for that, otherwise for big mountain riding I’d value suspension much more than fat tyres and go for a 6″ (ish) full suspension bike.

I currently use a Commencal Meta AM V4 which was about £1500. Weight is about 31lbs, which is less comfortable than my old 26lb Specialized Stumpjumper Evo but still bearable. It’s about the same weight as most fat bikes. I use adjustable travel forks to get the front down.

1x is fine if you’re reasonably fit- you’ll be hiking up a lot of the best ones anyway. I’d go 1×11 if you can, or get an expander kit for 1×10 to take it up to 42t. I run a 30t chainring with an 11-42 cassette.

That’s assuming “up and over” the mountains stuff, aiming for the summits, if you’re sticking to the lower slopes and going through the glens then a fat hardtail would be fine.

roverpig

If you want to bring the weight down then you may have to look at carbon, or at least some of the lighter aluminium options. But then you tend to lose the braze-ons for racks etc.

I’ve been really surprised at how well my Ice Cream Truck goes up (and down) mountains and it has all the attachments you could want for bikepacking. But at 34lb (for my self-build and a bit more for the stock builds) it’s no lightweight and you do feel that when you stick it on your shoulders for a hike-a-bike.

stevious

I’ll be aiming for summits but 3 grand for a frame is way beyond budget. I’ll be looking at summiting several munroes per day.

I should also add that I don’t need any fancy bosses as I have bikepacking kit for handlebars/seatpost etc.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Which are you hoping to summit? That is probably a more important question. If it’s things like Carn Ban Mhor with more engineered paths then a fat bike will be fine, but if you’re aiming to do things like Ben Lawers, Ben Vorlich etc. I think a full suspension bike will be significantly more enjoyable.

trail_rat
    Free Member

31lbs my 9zero7 is – alu frame

Key to the whole thing is wheels – you dont need/want 100mm rims and 5 inch tires – i went with 48mm rims and 3.8 nates.

its a hoot when you get it pointing down – running a rohloff out back.

certainly dont find it holds me back coming down any of the natural or non natural trails ive been out on with it – even loaded up – which imo is where it excels – techie stuff with full bike packing gear is much less noticable on a fat bike than nay other bike imo. …. its certainly much better on the natural stuff than any man made stuff where id rather be on a bmx mostly tbh

how ever many better angled bikes out there than the9zero 7 now – its old tech

roverpig

It’s obviously a personal thing, but I feel much more comfortable going down steep, loose, technical descents on my fatbike than I do on my regular full-suspension trail bike. I can also ride it up stuff that I can’t manage on the full suss (low gears and loads of traction).

Of course, I can ride the full-suss much faster over rough trails, which can be huge fun. But I do sometimes wonder about the wisdom of that when I’m on my own on a remote mountain.

As for gearing; I still like a 2x setup with a nice low (22×36) bottom gear on a fatbike, for winching my way up climbs. But again, it’s personal preference. My full-suss trail bike is 1×10, which suits that bike well too.

bedmaker

I’d find it hard to see past a Nutrail with a Bluto for what you describe.

I have a steel Shand with a Rohloff (heavy) and a Dude 9EX with a Lauf (light)

The Dude feels an awful lot nicer on the back for hikeabike, but once it’s loaded with gear then the difference isn’t quite so apparent.

A few extra pounds isn’t a dealbreaker though, I hauled my Shand over the entire South Shiel ridge last year. Don’t do it people, not much biking up there 😳

bedmaker

certainly dont find it holds me back coming down any of the natural or non natural trails ive been out on with it – even loaded up – which imo is where it excels – techie stuff with full bike packing gear is much less noticable on a fat bike than nay other bike imo.

Agreed.

Here’s a pic of my Dude on a Tour de Ben Nevis last week for good measure
    [/url]2016-06-22_04-32-04

roverpig

Oh well, if we’re posting pictures now 🙂

Maiden voyage, up on Corryhabbie Hill (Glenfiddich estate)

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve got a carbon beargrease and I think it’s a really good , fast light trail bike fatbike. Fitting blutos to it made it excellent.

clubby

If you’re a medium, Charlie the Bikemonger has a bargain ICT ops on for £1300 at the moment.

Cheezpleez

Low-spec On-One Fatty Trail is excellent value. I recently bought one nearly new with the intention of upgrading it but the standard kit just works. Nutrail is also a v good buy if you’re spending more.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Alpkit are doing their sonder fatbike for around £1500…. And it’s carbon too.

Sanny
    Free Member

The ICT is a beast of a bike and VERY capable. I’ve ridden a fair few big mountains on it and despite the weight, it is still my bike of choice in big mountain terrain. A Bluto is a worthy upgrade.

The Sonder looks good value for money if you don’t mind carbon.

I also rate the Cannondale Caad 1. It really needs a double though for long and steep climbs though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Best fatbike for big (scottish) mountains’ is closed to new replies.