Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • 'Best' Enduro Bike for circa 3k?
  • Capra is perfect for me – long legs/short torso

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Swoop 170 9.0 (in your budget) or Swoop 170 10.0 (above your budget)?
    For trail riding there might be bikes around which are more fun. 170 mm or 160 mm suspensions will be great when doing Enduro races but they turn the bike into an extreme sled.
    Commencal, Canyon, Nukeproof might sell you a 3 k bike which is much more fun with less travel…

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Interesting that not many XLs available… Lots of tall people or perhaps they just dont make as many?

tdog
    Free Member

Yes, NX boost builds with 36’s and Ibis’ 738 wheelset for sale at £3k for the HD3.

I have seen xls available.

Let’s just say I realistically went for a shorter travel mojo that was a whole grand more over my original budget.
    It woukd have been the nx build hd3 but I’m nowhere decent level to ride it in air like it deserves.

Are you!?

confused58

Another vote for the Bird Aries 145, mine is great! and some XL’s are in stock…

alextemper
    Free Member

Rode the Enduro 29er a couple of months ago in a size too big for me and it still felt on the short side for me with not the longest arms in the world by any means. Lots of decent option mentioned already but the fit of the Bird Aeris works for me. I have the AM9 frame on order as a replacement for my Remedy 29er and loved how the AM9 rode on all types of trails.

I would try and demo a few bikes or at least get a quick sit and pedal from bike shops to get a rough feel of the fit that suits you and then use the geometry to narrow down possible best fit options. It doesn’t substitute a demo but it should give you a ball park of options as long as y out have a decent understanding of geometry. A good examples is the Bird Aeris which looks way too long on paper but when to factor in other elements lie, the seat angle and stack height, it’s not where near as daunting. It’s more a case of centering the rider better in the bike, improving stability and retaining seat to handlebar reach. Reach doesn’t account for the 300mm or so of height to where the saddle is which is where the steeper seat angle factors in with relation to reach and stack.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

groundskeeperwilly mentioned the Merida one sixty 800 in XL size.
    If enduro racing is key and if this fork travel is necessary…- the numbers of this bike appear to be right!
    Very nice aluminium bike in boost standard. Looks like Merida engineered some fun into this bike. 3 k appear – for this spec – not too high at all.

BFITH
    Free Member

Bird seems interesting.

Go and have a look… at least have a look on the website. I loved the fact that you can pick and choose individual components and the service from Dan and Ben is first class.

I had a Capra and loved it….. Bird aeris 145 is better!

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Frame material:
    Enduro: Aluminium perfect for harsh enduro racing and if you don’t have a sponsor who gives you two bikes a year..
    Trail: not a fan of carbon. But for 3 k you get a hell of good, low weight carbon sleds with 140 … (150 mm) travel
    Enduro: having a lift or shuttle to get you uphill? Enduro is made for steep fast downhill rides – being capable of “also” going uphill. But uphill with PAIN.
    Canyon tries to cope with that with the ShapeShifter for the Strive Enduro. It turns the head angle from 66 deg to 67.5 deg. Not the best pick. Canyon builds beautiful bikes – but the Strive might be not the “best” Enduro around and the best Canyon design.
    YT Capra was mentioned a couple times. Great bike. Fantastic pricing.
    Available in Aluminium and XL size.
    Possibel frustration with Enduro bikes: they are wonderful pieces of engineering. Perfect for harsh Enduro, downhill focused riding and if you love very deep drops and huge jumps. But the 3 k won’t buy you fun and speed on most “home trails” where you spend most of the time uphill. The low weight, moderate travel trail bike for 2 k will for sure beat you there…
    And yes – would make sure your dream bike has the “modern geometry”. It’s not a fashion thing. Independend from “trail” or “enduro” – these “modern” bikes from Commencal, Nukeproof, Radon (Swoop), Merida, YT (Capra) are a blast.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Commencal has the Meta Enduro AM 4.2 in sale right now…

https://www.commencal-store.com/meta-am-v42-race-black-2017-c2x19923181

2999 Euros right now.
    160 mm travel
    Aluminium
    XL

If 160 mm travel (Enduro!) is necessary this bike might be worth looking at. The “new” suspenion kinematics of the Meta is excellent.
    More moderate travel bikes from Commencal in winter sale as well.
    Commencal build superb Aluminium mountain bikes and these guys are very innovative plus try to push the frontier…

swainy90
    Free Member

Think it comes down to personal preference myself. Ended up buying a trek remedy 9rsl. Rode the capra, mega, enduro, reign and felt that the trek which I bought rode much better. Out of all of them the capra was probably my last choice. My point being that all of the above bike are fantastic bikes but it comes down to what you think rides best. The capra has rave reviews and sells tonnes and tonnes of bikes so is obviously an excellent bike. My only regret is I wish I would of tried the edit and aeris other than that I’m over the moon with mine

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Beautiful aluminium very high quality fun bike!
    Had a look on their 2017 geometry – looks damned good…

Excellent pick!

hainman
    Free Member

I don’t have the 145 but another vote for Bird,and as has been mentioned the service from Dan and Ben is superb,always at the end of the one or even pm on Facebook and always helpful,I reckon it helps when paying out 3k on a bike you know if any issues arise you will get the customer service you desire pretty much at the drop of a hat,

tdog
    Free Member

What’s happened to op I wonder and what has he picked?

dskelly81
    Free Member

2018 Vitus Sommet range?  Knock out bang for your buck spec list & up to date geo.

Also, direct from CRC so should (in theory anyway) be easier & quicker to deal with any warranty stuff than German outfits

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

new Orbea Rallon RRP 3.8k, some places have been offering them at 3.2k

sofaking
    Free Member

theres a mojo g16 in the classifieds for just over 3k, great spec. not sure its big enough for you though.

Ps its not mine but I have one and rate it highly

muddy247
    Free Member

I was just going to mention the G16 in the classifieds, not mine either but know someone who rides one. Rates it highly for Enduro, very fast Downhill and a capable climber

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

tdog – I am the OP. I bought a Rallon in the end. Was more than I wanted to spend but was really well specced and I am happy with the decision. The others guys bought Santa Cruz….

speedstar

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i win!

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘'Best' Enduro Bike for circa 3k?’ is closed to new replies.