Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • best dropper stanchion Lube ?
  • iainc

For my forks I use Fork Juice before and after rides/cleaning. Having just got a new Giant dropper under warranty, due to the first one losing it’s anodising after 2 gritty rides, I am keep to do some preventative maintenance.

Online stuff suggests unscrew the collar and apply ‘grease’, though I do winder it this could be a bit too sticky and attract grit into the seals ? any better suggestions ?

gonzy
    Free Member

Online stuff suggests unscrew the collar and apply ‘grease’, though I do winder it this could be a bit too sticky and attract grit into the seals ? any better suggestions ?

lbs suggested this to me too when i collected the reign. its only had one muddy ride so far and so far so good…but i did unscrew the collar for inspection and it looked like it needed a bit of a wipe and re-grease. hopefully touch wood that’s all it needs but its nice to know that giant are good with their warranties

thegreatape
    Free Member

I bought a Dirt Flap and spray Fork Juice on mine.

sandwicheater

Silicone spray from Halfords but it doesn’t smell as nice as fork juice.

iainc

^^^^ where did you get the Dirt Flap ?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Bentley components, but if you google ‘dirt flap’ you’ll find it.

Honestly, it’s not a trick 🙂

nach
    Free Member

Slick Honey is recommended by some manufacturers. SRAM do their own. I’ve shoved chain lube down a dropper in a pinch before. Some lube is better than none, and if guck is getting inside the post that fast you probably have bigger worries than how sticky the lube is.

iainc

thegreatape, cheers, found it 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I do this with my KS every few rides. It does help noticeably, and the seal appears to keep it inside the post. I used a fairly light, clear grease – name escapes me. Slick Honey seems to be the go-to, although I had trouble getting hold of it. Otherwise I Juice Lube it like a fork stanchion too, and run a Mud Hugger rear guard through the winter.

km79
    Free Member

sandwicheater – Member
    Silicone spray from Halfords but it doesn’t smell as nice as fork juice.

I’ve been using this on forks, shock and dropper for a couple years now. Works great.

Tracey

As above been using a small squirt of WD40 silicone spray on forks, shocks and droppers for quite some time with no problems

rocketman
    Free Member

Erm Shimano dry chain lube. I use it for the forks as well seems to work OK

ogden
    Free Member

Anyone got a link to the halfords one I can’t seem to find it

iainc

cheers all, will look at getting one of those dirt flaps and use in conjunction with the Fork Juice I have

somouk
    Free Member

That dirt flap is ideal… ordered.

I’ve been using fork juice on my dropper, forks and shock for years, doesn’t seem to have caused any issues.

iainc

SRAM butter – available on Amazon, looks worth a punt and a bit thicker than Fork Juice, so will get some of that, cheers

smashit
    Free Member

Here for reference: http://bentleycomponents.co.uk/dirt_20832.html

Though the strip of innertube arranged in a similar fashion and two zip ties has been doing great service on my Giant dropper for 4 years and counting!!

Northwind

nach – Member

Slick Honey is recommended by some manufacturers. SRAM do their own

Apparently SRAM butter is now actually slick honey- my pot’s something different but someone told me on here it’s changed.

Slick Honey’s great stuff but kind of a pain to find at a good price, I bought a big tub off ebay out of frustration but it’ll last me years.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Slick honey, I give mine a little dab round the base of the stanchion post ride then operate a couple of times and wipe the excess off leaving a film on the shaft (ooer).

nach
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

Apparently SRAM butter is now actually slick honey- my pot’s something different but someone told me on here it’s changed.

Good to know, thanks. I bought a syringe of it a few years back and it’s lasting so far, probably because I only use it for droppers and suspension.

gonzy
    Free Member

will lithium grease or a marine type grease be ok to use?
    ive used lithium grease before on bearings and its lasted really well

currently got some of that muc off bio grease…smells nice but seems abit thin…used it on some hub bearings and it didnt last very well…smells nice though!
    alternate option is to buy some proper shimano grease as that seems to last well too

EDIT: just read up on the slick honey…looks like im shopping tonight

km79
    Free Member

ogden – Member

Anyone got a link to the halfords one I can’t seem to find it

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/grease/halfords-silicone-lubricant-400ml

deviant
    Free Member

Fenwicks, liberally applied before each ride and then cycled through the travel, works for me.

iainc

I couldn’t find Slick Honey in a decent size so went for the SRAM butter on Amazon with free delivery. Sounds like it’s much the same thing though..

iainc

Dirt flap arrived and used the other night. Seems to do a decent job, so will see if that, combined with SRAM butter makes my warranty Giant Dropper last a bit longer !

Onzadog
    Free Member

Finish line stanchion lube for me. One drip on the seal, wait for capillary action to pull it around, cycles component a few times.

Andy-R

The lightest smear of Molykote 33 on dropper post and fork stanchions.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Ghetto innertube dirtflap.

trusty

I just use a couple of drops of fork oil, the same with fork stanchions

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘best dropper stanchion Lube ?’ is closed to new replies.