Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Best drill for under £100
  • brack
    Free Member

Battery powered and suitable for most jobs – I’m not a tradesman but do require a quality drill that will last .

I’ve heard de Walt and Bosch are the ones to look for ?

Cheers

clubber
    Free Member

My Bosch one seems very good – under £100 with two batteries.

LoCo
    Free Member

Makita box kit with 2 batteries from b&q for under 100, happy with mine

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I got an Hitachi with two batteries for £100 out of screw fix. 20min charge.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Makita. Well made and nice to use.

You might be able to find some bargains on the 14.4V Ni-Cd with two batteries. The Li-Ons are newer and pricier but you can still get them for under a 100, albeit with just one battery.

see http://www.tooled-up.com/product/makita-bhp343rh-14.4v-cordless-combi-hammer-drill-1-lithium-ion-battery-1.5ah/163222/

I’ve just bought this one for £150 (£10 off with QuidCo code)
    http://www.tooled-up.com/product/makita-dhp456rmwx-18v-cordless-combi-drill-1-lithium-ion-4ah-battery/201387/

heisenberg
    Free Member

Bosch lithium ion. Worth every penny

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

You need to use a cordless drill regularly otherwise the batteries will die

philb88
    Free Member

The Makita mentioned above is great, but managed to get one for the same price last year with the 3.0mAh battery. Which is £70 on its own.

Screwfix had a special on, worth watching out for!

Pieface

I bought the Li-ion and its nice and light, however it lacks the heavy duty cunkiness of the Ni-cad / Nimh units you can get.

It depends what you need it for. If its just driving and lite drilling then the li-ion units are very nice, however if you’re going to be doing more substantial stuff I’d go for the makita (assuming its a hammer)

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

like my makita

nickjb
    Free Member

Makita Lxt with 3ah is £99 at screwfix right now. As good as it gets. There was some talk of the b&q makita having non compatible batteries so best avoided imo

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I doubt that very much, B &Q and screwfix are essentially the same company. The tradepoint catalogue is half the screwfix catalogue, same products

They’re all pretty much the same at that price point, premium brand does not mean premium drill. They’re all budget models catering for the diyer.

I’ve got all makita cordless kit now, used to have dewalt. It’s swings and roundabouts, some makita kit better, some dewalt. The major advantage makita have over every other manufacturer out there, bar none, is that their batteries charge in 22 mins, compared to an hour. This means you only need one battery for DIY, plus you could always get an additional one later from axminster. They sell their own copy for 40 quid wire regularly, I’ve got a couple and they’re no different

BigJohn

If you can find Makita LXT with the single 3ah battery it’s a beaut. Only need the one battery as it’s got loads of charge and only takes 20 mins to recharge.

The LXT gives pro quality and metal gearbox. Non LXT batteries are not compatible.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

makita lxt, check out screwfix as they have some great deals on, but otherwise makita makita makita.

nealglover
    Free Member

You need to use a cordless drill regularly otherwise the batteries will die

Why ?

maccruiskeen

Why ?

various reasons depending on the batts and their chemistry. With Li-ions theres circuitry in the battery that monitors the charge and communicates with the charger – and its drawing power even when not in use. Some packs have this running on some rather than all the cells. The circuit only has a tiny power draw but over extended non-use it runs those cells down while the others stay charged. Then when it does get used everything goes phut.

That seems like an oversight but then Li-ion first emerged it was at the top of the range on tools supplied for trade users – the idea of a £400 trade drill driver that would only get 12 minutes total use that most diy users give their tools in a lifetime wasn’t something the batteries were being designed for. Now that the technology has trickled down to DIY price points thats were the batteries get duffed by non use. Old Nicads could loose capacity through extended non use but Li-ions either work or don’t. If something is amiss the charger refuses to charge them.

bigG
    Free Member

I was in B&Q today buying yet more G9 bulbs….

Anyway, I noticed that they had large discounts on several models of Bosch drills and electric screwdrivers, about 50% off.

I didn’t have a look as the last thing I need is another power tool but might be worth a look on Boxing Day if you’re still looking for one.

nuke

Based on bigjohn’s suggestion, is this one any good…makita 3aH 18v one battery
    http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/104014
    In the market for a new one myself

BigJohn

It’s all right but it’s not an LXT. Sort of Deore v XT. I’ve used mine daily for 2 years, charge it less than once a week and have had no drop off in battery life. Plenty of oomph & torque.

igm

The cheap B&Q Makita isn’t LXT (though they do an LXT for a little more).

Down graded gear box and so battery that’s probably identical inside to the LXT range but has different connections.

andyl
    Free Member

My Bosch green li-ion drill is about 5 years old and gets used for occasional DIY and making stuff, can get left for a few months without use. Battery is still excellent.

I would never get any other type of battery. I am even unhappy my new toothbrush is not lithium unlike my old Sonicare as I rate them so much more than older technology. Can you imagine going back to a Nicad laptop?

eemy
    Free Member

I just ordered this Dewalt on Amazon. For the price I’m hoping it’s a bargain. 4 left in stock at the moment for £127

trail_rat
    Free Member

Thats a cracking drill

I borrow one occasionally when working with my dad , far better than my 18v liion bosch green just the speed at whichnit worksis much better more torque in a more controlable fashion

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Best drill for under £100’ is closed to new replies.