Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • best deal on commuting road tyres? 28mm
  • jacob46
    Free Member

Hi

I commute on a Whyte Suffolk. The standard tyres that came with it are rubbish and I have had numerous punctures. (Maxxis detonators).

I also join a group from my local pub and we have weekend rideouts and yesterday we had our Xmas tour of 5 pubs (40mile) and guess who had a puncture at the end? Me!! (Drawing pin)
    so I’m buying more tyres and ill keep the originals as emergency spares.

jonba
    Free Member

Scwhalbe marathon are the default puncture proof option.

I’ve also had good experiences of continental gatorskins.

I’m about to try panaracer ones.

Loads of deals. Try googling for the specific tyre. Good sites to look at are

Bike-discount.de
    Ribble cycles
    Tredz
    Wiggle
    Merlin cycles
    Chain reaction cycles
    Probike kit

All have offers, just depends on stock.

baldman
    Free Member

Hey Jacob, I had same problem with my detonators (on a Suffolk too). Been commuting for 4years on Mtb no problems then switched to road bike and repeated punctures. Changed to Continental GP4000s11 in 25mm size no problems since. Merlin were good price when I got mine, they come in 28mm size too.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Gatorskins. Best compromise between £££, puncture proofing and durability IMO. I run 28mm gators and do 3000miles a year. No punctures in 2014!

tomkerton
    Free Member

Double post

tomkerton
    Free Member

Folding gators on wiggle for £25.75 each.

PJ266
    Free Member

Vittoria randonneurs are good for the money and bombproof. But not light.

jacob46
    Free Member

Tomkerton thanks for your response.

Which gators? There seems to be many models.

jacob46
    Free Member

Baldman, thanks.

Any problems with bike to look out for?
    I do 100+ miles a week and so far so good. Had it 3 months. The inner area of rotors are rusting on surface which is annoying but solid bike.

Sorry for change of question folks.

lunge

To counter that, anything but Gatorskins. Horrible tyres, no grip, no feel and not that puncture resistant in my experience.

Schwalbe Durano are a good compromise between puncture resistance and grip, they’re not that expensive either. Saying that, if it is puncture resistance that is your main priority just fit some Schwalbe Marathon’s, they aren’t quick or that grippy but they are very puncture proof.

Xylene
    Free Member

I keep thinking of changing my Marathon Plus for something faster – I have them in 38c flavour as well.

Then I think about the shite I ride through here, and the offroad routes I keep trying and realise I would be a fool to given the thousands of good reviews they get.

IanMunro
    Free Member

What lunge said.
    Scwhalbe marathons for me. They’re the only tyre to survive a zombie apocalypse.
    If you don’t ride along crap covered country lanes then you might want something slightly less robust.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Jacob – the folding basic ones. There are some Ultra gators now but I use the ‘basic’ ones.

Lunge – I often get this response when I recommend gators. I am genuinely interestd having never used anything but them about the differences. The grippy ness or lack of with gators has never been anything I’ve noticed… But then I’ve never used anything else. What I like about them is I can roll over broken road, potholes, freshly cut hedge deposits without puncturing.For info I don’t commute but do 60 -80 miles most weeks. Im not a racer, ex-rugby player turned recreational roadie, do a few Sportives.

moonwrasse
    Free Member

Conti 4 season. great tyres. tough and grippy, A lot better than Skaterskins…

jacob46
    Free Member

I can get these for £26 each for being vip account holder.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/19062/specialized-all-condition-armadillo-700c-tyre

SandyThePig
    Free Member

Marathon plus FTW. I do 6-7000 miles a year and can’t be fannied with punctures in winter.

I have managed to puncture them, but it was a 1.5inch nail – no chance for any tyre. You avoid the usual glass punctures though. Heavy, odd handling but bombproof. I’d buy again.

baldman
    Free Member

Hi Jacob

No issues so far, had mine since September, just over 100 miles a week commuting plus a few 30-50 mile weekend rides.

Not noticed any issues with my rotors but will keep an eye on them.

If you’ve not had to change brake pads yet you need to disconnect the cable to allow pistons to fully retract – took me a while to work out – should have googled it first!

Great as a commuter bike, really pleased with mine.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘best deal on commuting road tyres? 28mm’ is closed to new replies.