Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Best cycling book/ documentary
  • stanfree
    Free Member

Since breaking my collar bone and being house bound with the ‘Giro’ to watch and an old road bike to turbo train on I’ve been transfixed by road biking.
    Wiggins and Cav at the TdF and the olympics have meant Im more likely to have a spin on the tarmac than the dirt . Anyhoo just watched ‘Road to Paris’ documentary and was wondering what are the best cycling books / autobiographies to buy. ?

TiRed

Watch “A Sunday in Hell” and you’ll learn a lot about road racing. Well Rule 5 in action, anyway.

GW
    Free Member

Shaun Palmer “The Miserable Champion”

and stop being so bloody gay

Happy birthday!!

stanfree
    Free Member

^^^^ Watch It GW , or you’ll get dropped and have to limp in for a shite at Seton sands again. 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the 2 Lance Armstrong Books give a good insight into the TDF

GW
    Free Member

I’ll remember to bring a book next time 😉

might catch up with you tomorrow. will text you.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

“It’s not about the bike” is a good read by paperback standards

Journey to the center of the earth is quite good to, about touring from the Indian coast to the point in Mongolia furthest from the sea. Basicly rule 5 in action, 2 blokes on proper raceing bikes carrying little more than a puncture repair kit and some slightly wider tyres for the really bad roads (they even drilled holes in the muti-spanner to save weight!). Makes all the “I need a CX bike to commute on as the council hasn’t filled in the potholes” threads seem a bit pansy-ish.

stanfree
    Free Member

Cool heading to carpark for 12 oclock , hope to see you there . I’ll not gloat anymore as you will have the childs bike with slammed seatpost and I’ll be pussying about at the back. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

and

andypaul99
    Free Member

Racing through the dark – David Millar

Like or dislike the bloke its a riveting read..

stayhigh

I just finished reading Mark Beaumont The Man Who Cycled The World which was very inspiring. It’s also made me think twice before grumbling about my commute LOL

higthepig
    Free Member

+1 to what CFH said, also Sex, Lies & Handlebar Tape, v interesting about the life of Jacques Anquetil.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’ve read about 1/2 “put me back on my bike” but couldn’t finish it because I thought it was terribly written.

The Hour by Hutch is good and well written.

Klunk
    Free Member

ITVs Chasing Legends is a good watch.

butcher

The documentary on Tom Simpson is also worth a watch. Forget what it was called.

mrblobby
    Free Member

“the death of Marco Pantani” is a fascinating read. Enjoyed the Fignion book too.

marco
    Free Member

Rough ride by Paul Kimmage
    Good insight into doping & team politics

cynic-al
    Free Member

The Ride is very good.

stanfree
    Free Member

Got a lend of a couple of books from GW , one being Lance Armstrongs “Its not me Its the bike” the other being Mark Beaumonts “I cycled the world”.
    Hate to say It but despite Lance’s monumental success and work raising millions for his charity he seems an obnoxious arse.
    Still enjoying the Ned Boulton book which is very funny.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

dog in a hat is a good read well worth finding

Taff
    Free Member

Graeme Obree book then film

Macavity
    Free Member

Bernard Hinault: Memories of the Peloton.
    Freddy Maertens: Fall From Grace.
    Stephen Roche: The Agony and the Ecstasy.

stevio

Second the David Millar book – a great read, and a great insight into how someone starts clean, but gets pulled into being “fully prepared”….

johnny_met
    Free Member

Dividing the Great is a good read kindle or paperback

blades2000
    Free Member

I liked the Escape artist by Matt Seaton, nice insight into amateur racing.

I also just watched an old documentary on you tube “the final hour” which was pretty good.

Macavity
    Free Member

Barry Hoban: Wathing the Wheels Go Round
    Allan Peiper: A Peiper’s Tale

http://www.cyclesportmag.com/features/the-greatest-50-cycling-books-of-all-time-40-31/

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

In Search of Robert Millar – Richard Moore

rob-jackson
    Free Member

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

Have a look on youtube ! there’s death on a mountain the Tom Simpson story, A Sunday in Hell and my two faves the Greatest Show on Earth and Stars & Water carriers both about the Giro in the early 70’s and plenty of others…Books, for road A Dog in a Hat and mtb Two wheels on my waggon…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Best cycling book/ documentary’ is closed to new replies.