Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Best city for filthy, industrial sustrans riding?
  • Garry_Lager

There's something to be said for jumping on the cross bike, hitting the sustrans paths and riding through some industrial grime.

Old canals, derelict wharehouses, forgotten railway lines – this is the wonder of our industrial heritage, the wabi-sabi of decaying beauty. There's also the exhilaration of pedalling like f_k with a gang of scallies chasing after you throwing stones, because sustrans have routed a trail through their sh_thouse estate.

What so you reckon are good cities in the UK for this sort of industrial riding – a sort of Tour de Shi_thole?

uplink
    Free Member

Sunderland would be a good candidate

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Manchester and birmingham canals

canals in stoke as well

Garry_Lager

My nominations are sort of obvious – Liverpool and London. Massive amounts of old heavy industry, extensive network of disused railways, huge, old dockland area (Liverpool). I've lived in both cities but it was before I was really into riding, so haven't done too many good routes. The canal that rings North London is a good one, loads of stuff to explore in east London etc.

Currently Edinburgh based and it's not a great spot for this sort of thing. Loads to explore but not much heavy industry, bit too genteel by and large.

disco_stu
    Free Member

the canals around birmingham and the black country are pretty good for this sort of thing.
    plenty of abandoned builings and warehouses along the brum – wolves canal

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Best city for filthy, industrial sustrans riding?’ is closed to new replies.