Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Best children's route at Afan?
  • lister

I haven’t been to Afan for years for some reason but we thought we’d head there tomorrow with the kids.
    They both get round the blue and green at Brechfa with no problems, what is the best option for us at Afan?

Cheers

Ambrose

Bluescar. Can add variation descents easily enough too. Take a photo of the trail map at the start.

lister

Is the rookie green/blue worth doing? That before lunch and bluescar after with fit 8 and 10 year old?

Ambrose

I’ve never done it. It looks a bit tame, but I’m not looking with 8 y.o eyes. Do they enjoy Brechfa? If they enjoy Brechfa then Bluescar will be fine. There are lots of ‘Drop your saddle’ signs, to give a heads up for the impending section. None of it seems difficult, I’ve ridden there many times with beginners.

nre
    Free Member

There’s a little skills area on the rookie tail that my kids really enjoyed, good warm up for blue scar…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Rookie isn’t great, it’s not bad but doesn’t over much over and above a park – it’s 3m wide, smooth, flat trails without any features – it’s okay but not worth travelling to if you have something local.

Blue scar is great with kids, if yours like mine moan about climbs then skip Jim Cro because it’s tough for little legs and the descent is a bit scetchy if they’re speed fiends just take Rookie down to the fire road and turn left up the hill.

lister

Just a quick write up for any future searches…
    We arrived about 1130, rode the Rookie green and blue loops as a warm up, little skills area was ace. Back to the van for lunch then the full ride of Blue Scar. Some brutal climbs for my 8 year old daughter but it’s not that far to the top. Kids loved the Jim Crow descent but it is quite skerfy. The rest of the downs from the top were ace. Top of the blue grading in places, compared to Brechfa anyway, but all rideable. Some of the bigger berms made my daughter really concentrate, you know when cos she stops talking!
    Took two hours with lots of stops, some for rest, some to fettle new disc brakes.
    Smiles all round at the end and we had to go back to the skills area for a few more laps!
    Just right for my kids and enough visibility on the descents for me to let the kids off ahead and allow me to do some sections at speed.
    Good day out, and lovely cake in the cafe at the end.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Best children's route at Afan?’ is closed to new replies.