Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Best charity shop find
  • poolman
    Free Member

Today I bought from Scope, Twickenham a Rapha Paul Smith T shirt, not a fake its the urban one with a rear pocket (ipod will fit nicely in it). 7.5 gbp. Looks like an unwanted present as looks new.

Anyone beat it? cycling related of course.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s about the right price, I’d say.

Harry_the_Spider

I’d want a carrier bag and a cheeky smile off the old dears in the shop too for that money.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Got a brand new Berghaus coat for £5 once even had the tags

tang
    Free Member

I got a JMC era sworks winter jacket mint for £3 a couple of years back. Last week lafuma/lapierre gillet, swobo t and endura carbon t both new. Best finds to date:

Arcteryx gamma softshell new £5
    Patagonia pro shell jacket £8 minty
    Mountain hardwear waterproof down coat £8 as new

All in my size and in the shop I walk past daily when working.

Klunk
    Free Member

2 pairs of black levi 501s unworn sally army £3 each.

boxfish
    Free Member

10 or so years ago, my old dear picked up a brooch for $1.50 which turned out to be diamonds set in white gold…£2k worth!!

midlifecrashes

Proper old quality Karrimor Jaguar 65l rucksack for a tenner.

nickjb
    Free Member

My workshop hoover. Proper industrial pneumatic for £20

binners

An absolutely lovely brushed alloy 60’s Swan coffee percolator. A beautiful design classic that makes lovely coffee for a few quid 🙂

poolman
    Free Member

top finds, I have a couple of Berghaus goretex jackets from the chazzers. In fact, now I get most stuff from said shops I actually can’t believe the new prices in the shops.

I’ve lost a few items of cothing which I’d be gutted if I’d paid retail prices.

Happy shopping, its a good cause.

jekkyl

You do realise that that T-shirt probably once belonged to a dead man. Who now probably haunts it, probably.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Anyone beat it? cycling related of course.

Mrs J was recently well chuffed to find a few bits of Jonathan Tiernan-Locke’s old kit in one of our (and his!) local charity shops. Apart from knowing he is local, how small he is and who he rode for, it helpfully had his initials in it! She bought one of his ‘Sport Beans’ jerseys for a few quid iirc.

Pretty much all my work wardrobe (and quite a bit of my home) wardrobe is from charity shops and yet the labels would suggest I have been shopping in House of Fraser. Trousers harder to find than shirts though.

takisawa2

I picked up nits once from one of them places. & a lung full of that dead skin that flakes off old ladies. Was coughing it up for days. Bunged me up like too much roughage.

br
    Free Member

If that’s the one that’s divided into two, it’ll leak like a sieve at the zip. At least mine did before I returned it and took a Berghaus AB65 instead.

Irish_AL
    Free Member

Got a copy of ‘it’s not about the bike’…….they paid me £2.50 lol

Dylan08
    Free Member

Bought a WW2 Kids Mickey Mouse Gas Mask in original box for a £5 – looks great on our book shelf!

My old boy picked up a solid gold soverign in a bag of misc foreign coins last year for a couple of quid…lucky boy 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I bought a box of vintage bullets in one today. Lovely they were. I’d love to take them to Ireland to show my mum.

johndoh
    Free Member

A beautiful evening suit made by a local tailors long since gone. No belt loops, just brace buttons. I reckon it was 1930s ish and every time I wore it everyone asked where I got it from because it just looked that bit special.

boblo
    Free Member

b r – Member

If that’s the one that’s divided into two, it’ll leak like a sieve at the zip. At least mine did before I returned it and took a Berghaus AB65 instead.

Ah now. The original Jag 65 was single compartment, the 75 was zipped. With ‘original’, I mean the ones from the ealy 80’s.

Sad I know.

Ambrose

The Jaguar with the metal sliding buckle closures? I’m sat about ten feet away from mine right now.

sweepy
    Free Member

When I was younger and poorer my Grandma died. I had nothing halfway decent to wear to her funeral and it would have mattered to her, so i went round the charity shop with a budget of £10 which completely wiped me out financially.
    I found an as new M&S suit that fitted labelled £10 but when I went to pay the lady told me it was half price day on suits and gave me a fiver change. Then, when I put it on for the funeral I found three quid in one of the pockets.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

A beautiful evening suit made by a local tailors long since gone. No belt loops, just brace buttons. I reckon it was 1930s ish and every time I wore it everyone asked where I got it from because I just looked that bit special.

Lovely, i bet you looked very nice.

samuri
    Free Member

I think the whole lot cost me about 5 quid.

dapper by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

I win. That’s a look you can only but desire.

samuri
    Free Member

A gay man stopped by me at Blackpool and said I looked absolutely fabulous. I could have probably had sex with him if my wife hadn’t been there.

longwayhome
    Free Member

1) A bottle cage for 10p. Aluminium – not super light but not heavy either.

2) A Royal Racing jersey for £3.50. It looked brand new other than a couple of blobs of glue on the shoulder. There was a bike shop round the corner so I guess it got marked when it was packed into a box and they just sent it to the charity shop. Ten or fifteen minutes scraping with a stanley knie and it was as good as new.

rewski
    Free Member

Not cycle related. This rare john gregory lp for 50p, enjoyed for many years then sold on discogs for £50.

rewski
    Free Member

Double post

bencooper
    Free Member

Bought a WW2 Kids Mickey Mouse Gas Mask in original box for a £5 – looks great on our book shelf!

I’m sure you know this, but you should always be very careful with old gas masks – they often used asbestos as a filter.

br
    Free Member

Ah now. The original Jag 65 was single compartment, the 75 was zipped. With ‘original’, I mean the ones from the ealy 80’s.

Sad I know.

Are you really sure, although I could be wrong? I bought the Jaguar from Blacks (in Hull) to do the Pennine Way (would have been 1982). And brought it back and returned/swapped it for the AB, which I still have.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Jaguar 75 rucsac – £4
    Paramo Valdez jacket £4
    2 pairs of brand new Rohan trousers £10
    Berghaus insulated skiing trousers – £5
    Lowepro fleece – £3
    Patagonia fleece – £3.50
    Phoenix fleece (remember them?) £5
    Original 1st edition Bear Grylls trousers £4
    Oh yes, nearly forgot the latest: picked up a Diamondback Topanga (c. 1991, smoke paintjob and rear under BB U brake) from the tip last week for nowt! Even had air in the tyres! Chain was beyond hope though…

Kevevs
    Free Member

xwing lego fighter 2.50 gave it to a mate
    fisher price telephone bought for 2.00 sold to some daft person for 25 on ebay
    endura baselayer supposed to be 25 poundzzz bought it as good as new 2.99

I could go on and on..

fivespot
    Free Member

Got an Olympus OM2 with a 55 f2 lens for £30, and then some nice people on ebay gave me £400+ for them 😀

Cougar

Where are you finding all these quality charity shops? All the ones near me smell of old ladies and despair.

Kamakazie

Tell me about it Cougar.
    The ones where I grew up have some great stuff but no one seems to give away anything decent where I live now.

Kevevs
    Free Member

ex local mountain men hanging up their stuff i reckon, can find some good stuff on a good day…

singlespeedstu

samuri – Member

I think the whole lot cost me about 5 quid.

That’s an awsum find.
    I never knew that you’d be able to find a pair of disco slippers in your size in a charidee shop. 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

I found a first edition of Neuromancer for £5 😉

jock-muttley

Raleigh Eclipse 10Spd, 501 tubing, 21″ Frame

£25 from Barnados 3 weeks ago!

Just needed air in the tubes, a quick clean and it was ready to rock! Had been shed stored since it was ridden a few times, cellophane and moulding buds were still evident on the tyres FFS!

Have since replaced the gear cables, brake cables to be done sometime soon when I can figure out how.

Best Charity Shop find ever was a pair of Meindl Kampfstiefel RIB Light GTX Mens Combat Boots. Recognised them immidiately for what they were bought for £10 sold for £115 on ebay :mrgreen:

Dont start me on my skip finds however!

will
    Free Member

That’s a great find Jock.

Best tip for charity shop finds is go to them in affluent areas. I always find Sense and Scope very good.

Picked up some nice TM Lewin shirts and a Camelbak. Always like having a look around them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Best charity shop find’ is closed to new replies.