Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Best budget place in Europe to learn to surf with decent mountain biking?
  • aye-aye
    Free Member

Where would be a good place to spend some time learning to surf for a month or more?
    Preferably warm-ish, not too isolated and I’d still like to be able to do some decent mountain bike riding while i’m there.
    Hopefully i’ll have about £1000 to stay as long as possible somewhere.
    Ta

scruff9252

Biarritz. Nice town, good surfing and big mountains…. Custom designed for your purposes

stevie750

I went to surfschoolanzarote. Good price. Excelent lessons

Didn’t go biking when I was there, but looks like it should be good.

dmorts

For consistent surf you need somewhere that directly faces the Atlantic…France, Spain, Portugal plus Atlantic islands essentially. Why restrict it to Europe though?

aye-aye
    Free Member

Open to suggestions outside Europe but was thinking mainly of Europe due to being able to drive and live in car/tent.

Scapegoat

Biarritz, no hesitation. The beach at Bidart to the South is awesome.

aye-aye
    Free Member

Biarritz sounds promising, I’ve also heard good things about San Sebastian?
    Are there good, easily found/well ridden trails in Biarritz or would I need a guide?
    I realize we are spoilt in the UK with so many well populated DH tracks and trail centres but I don’t fancy riding out in the wilderness on my own having watched my own blood spurting movie-style on a solo ride a couple of weeks ago. (One reason why I fancy trying surfing for a change!)

seosamh77
    Free Member

Biarritz or San Sebastian. I never went surfing but I went wandering the other year. I’d chose san Sebastian myself.

alpin
    Free Member

canary islands

grum
    Free Member

Do Biarritz and budget go together?

konabunny
    Free Member

So they still make Biarritz chocolates? I seem to remember them being a bit passé even in the 80s.

Edukator
    Free Member

doug at basquemtb dot com guides there, very well by all accounts.

Mackem

Biarritz is far from cheap mind, in fact it’s eye-watering expensive. Some places along the Spanish coast would be cheaper. San Sebastian would be cheaper but not cheap. Maybe Plentzia? I might let you use my flat for a month if you ask nicely and the dates lne up (I’m on the metro line between bilbao and Plentzia)
    http://www.barrikasurfcamp.com/en/faqs.html

doug_basqueMTB.com

Thanks Edukator! Aye aye, that´s a great offer from Mackem and a stunning part of the coast. San Sebastian is great and you could totally do it on a budget if you wanted to, especially staying just outside of the main towns. Biarritz is expensive and rubbish for mountain biking compared to the Spanish side. You couldn´t ride out of town and straight onto trails. There´s no marked trails here, it´s local´s stuff and walking routes. If you are prepared to search then you will find great stuff, although it´s taken me years to find the best stuff and good ways to link everything up nicely. Depending on how you ride and your dates we might have the space in the van for day rides, I can talk you through it if you want to drop me a mail. I´m riding all over the Pyrenees just now though on our Backcountry Pyrenees trips and have really limited computer access so don´t panic if I don´t get back to you within 24hours.

aye-aye
    Free Member

Hi Mackem, thanks for the kind offer. I’ll get in touch if I decide to head that way.

Doug, I’ve been fancying riding with Basque mtb after reading ride reports and looking at your website. Could be a good trip.

Thanks for all the info everyone

OmarLittle
    Free Member

+ 1 for San Sebastian, great place.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Best budget place in Europe to learn to surf with decent mountain biking?’ is closed to new replies.