Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Best (Budget) Bottom Bracket (HT2)
  • Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Needing a new bottom bracket as mine has started sounding like a mouse is living in it (Shimano Deore – about 2 months old).

What is good, and not overly expensive? I really have no idea as my old Shimano XT one lasted years, but I have been hearing people complaining about those too in recent times hence figured it was time to see what else was out there!

Mackem

XT/XTR usually stupid cheap on http://www.rosebikes.co.uk

neninja
    Free Member

My current XT BB is still going strong after over 2 years use and the one I had on my previous bike likewise lasted for ages.

If they are still doing them, the XTR and Saint bottom brackets on Rose Bikes are hard to beat for value.

Simon

Few of us got XTs from Rose, worked out at £14 each, not much more than Deore bought in the UK.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Those XTRs are looking worth a punt then – how long is delivery usually (figured I may get another ride out of the Deores before they explode… perhaps!)

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Delivery only takes 3-4 days.

giantjason
    Free Member

I would buy a Hope BB. Yes they are more expensive than your wanting to spend but should last at least twice as long as a cheap one.

br
    Free Member

Hope BB, mines just done 4 years.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Cheap are £14 tho – hope is not £28

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Rose, xtr… Thread closed 🙂

I did the hope thing, cost more ( sorry hope, love you guys!) But, at the price, rose works out better….

Northwind

XT for me- not convinced XTR is any better, they’re built a little different but they seem to last just the same. Hope lasts longer but not 5 times longer (unless you’re one of those folks that can destroy a Shimano one in 5 minutes, but I’ve always suspected that’s done with an allen key not with riding…)

Gusset EXT24 is another contender though- comes in pretty colours, lasts better than Shimano (especially if you clean it out between the outer and inner seal from time to time) and replacing the bearings is very easy.

tommid
    Free Member

I picked up a brand new XTR OEM BB from an ebay shop the other day. Not as cheap as Rose, but arrived in two days.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My Hope stainless is doing well – one year in, ridden through all the schlock and still on original bearings.

DT78
    Free Member

Need to factor in a £5 postage from Rose. I use a mixture of xtr and hope on my bikes. Hope ones are still on original bearings, oldest is from 2007. XTRs last me about 2 years but I don’t use them on the winter bike.

tthew

I’ve no HT2 bottom brackets at the moment, but I did consider sending the old one to BETD to have new bearings fitted (believe they have better seals and no top-hats) so the spare is in the shed ready to go when the new one inevitably fails.

Northwind

I got a set of the bearings and seals from BETD, they were proper ****- lasted less well than a Deore.

oldnpastit

I had an XTR from Rose. It lasted around 9 months, basically until the first bit of properly bad weather. I’m now trying out a Hope. I don’t mind paying a bit more if it’s going to last longer – fixing bikes is fun but riding them is more fun.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Best (Budget) Bottom Bracket (HT2)’ is closed to new replies.